Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Radiohead fans.

Old 04-17-02, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radiohead fans.

Hmm. I hope I didn't make a mistake. I've never really heard radiohead much, with the exception of Knives out and Creep, and I just dumped a hundred bucks into the 6 main albums, completely blind. A lot of my more sophisticated and musically inclined friends love radiohead, as well as the bands that I love (floyd, tool, etc..)

My question is, what am I to expect from these fellas? I got sick of hearing so much good stuff about them and not listening to the songs themselves, I just finally bought them.

I realize the whole fiasco with Kid A/Amnesiac being a total turn musically for them, and turning a lot of people away, but from what I hear, that type of music intrigues me.

Any radiohead fans have any incite as to what I should expect?
Old 04-17-02, 05:19 PM
Banned

Re: Radiohead fans.

Originally posted by Ergyu
Any radiohead fans have any incite as to what I should expect?
Genius.
Old 04-17-02, 05:27 PM
Banned

Radiohead is a very interesting and talented band that has changed over time instead of staying the same like most bands. They started out as basically one hit wonders with Creep on Pablo Honey and then hit major success with their third album OK Computer. After that, they started making more tech music, but still good all the same in my opinion.

BE CAREFUL not to listen to Kid A or Amnesiac expecting to hear songs like those on The Bends or OK Computer.

Here is how I would approach them if i were you. My path was far rockier.

I would listen to The Bends first (I know Pablo Honey is their first cd)

Then try OK Computer

You'll notice OK Computer is slightly more techy than the Bends

---If you like the techiness go for Kid A and then Amnesiac. Then Pablo honey

---If you prefer the rocking of The Bends go to Pablo Honey and then Kid A and Amnesiac

Good Luck

-J
Old 04-17-02, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the reply. I remember kind of writing them off because of creep. I mean, I liked the song, but it seemed a little like a typical pop song to me at the time.

Last year my friend played me a little bit of Kid A and I was intrigued, and recently I heard Paranoid Android and really liked it, hence my recent purchases.

I was planning on just taking it slow from Pablo through Amnesiac just trying to get a feel for them. I got I might be wrong also, but that's live so I'm not really counting it.

Thanks again.
Old 04-17-02, 05:49 PM

You'll find that their cds sound a lot different. And you probably wont like a couple of them, and you will probably really like a few of them.
Old 04-17-02, 06:54 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Ergyu
I was planning on just taking it slow from Pablo through Amnesiac just trying to get a feel for them.
That always works.
Old 04-17-02, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Light a candle and play "Idioteque" from "Kid A" and you will see your whole future laid out before you.

(with apologies for stealing unabashedly from "Almost Famous")
Old 04-17-02, 08:38 PM

Re: Re: Radiohead fans.

Originally posted by monkey
Genius.

I happen to think Kid A and Amnesiac are better than OK Computer! However, all of their albums starting with The Bends are incredible.
Old 04-18-02, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ergyu, make sure you let us know what you think! i'm always interested to hear what people have to say about Radiohead!
-di doctor-
Old 04-18-02, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
I just dumped a hundred bucks into the 6 main albums

Where are you shopping??
Old 04-18-02, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by cdollaz
I just dumped a hundred bucks into the 6 main albums

Where are you shopping??

Unfortunately samgoody.com. All my local shops are overpriced, even including shipping from samgoody. I was going to go with Half.com like I normally do, but the prices were only marginally lower.

That hundred includes the limited editions of both amnesiac and kid a as well.

DrRing, I'll be sure to let you know what I think. It will no doubt be positive!
Old 04-18-02, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Some of Radiohead's detractors say they don't care for Thom Yorks' whining singing voice. I was thinking about it and, I like those song's the most. You know, the songs where the vocals sound like someone's strangling a cat.
Old 04-18-02, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've noticed the whiney voice and after awhile it grew on me. We shall see hehe.
Old 04-19-02, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by sebastianv50
You'll find that their cds sound a lot different. And you probably wont like a couple of them, and you will probably really like a few of them.
IMO, one of the greatest things about Radiohead is that you can see their evolution from Pablo Honey up till now. You can tell they're a band that is always trying something new (whether it is a success or not) and that they are interested in music for its form, not just function ).

That being said, I would listen to The Bends and then OK Computer. After that I would go back and listen to Pablo Honey, then listen to the rest of their albums choronlogically.

You might want to check out:

www.greenplastic.com

Old 04-19-02, 11:47 AM

Re: Re: Re: Radiohead fans.

[I happen to think Kid A and Amnesiac are better than OK Computer! However, all of their albums starting with The Bends are incredible. [/B]
Agree.

If I were you, though, I'd hide OK/Kid A/Amnesiac under the bed or something. Then, after you've immersed yourself in Bendsy goodness, whip out OK. Repeat with Kid A. Repeat with Amnesiac. Have fun!
Old 04-19-02, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There is natural progression with each album. You can understand the difference and growth from "Pablo Honey' to "the Bends" to "Ok PC"...etc.

On the other Hand if you listen to "the Bends" and then pop in "Amnesiac" you may go "What the H bombin H!?!?!?!"

Uhhh YEah

Jordan "with powers comparable to Wonderboy" Anderson
Old 04-21-02, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well I got my discs yesterday before I went to work. When I came home I spent god 5 or 6 hours and listened through everyone starting with pablo and ending with I might be wrong. These may be some of the best cd's I have bought hehe.

*I like pablo honey but not as much as I like OK computer and up. It has more of the alt rock feel that they were grouped into (understandably so) during that time period, and this is definitely this rare instance where a band's debut cd isn't their best. Favorite track is Creep (so far anyway, I need to listen again).

*I think the bends is an excellent album. I can see similarities between pablo honey and ok computer throughout. Definite growth. Less "poppy" lyrics and more atmospheric music. My favorite track on this one is Street Spirit.

*I think OK computer is probably going to be my new current favorite album. Everyone said this album was phenominal and it is. I was always interested in the cover art, and it hinted me off to what I might find musically within. Definite modern masterpiece. My favorite track is Paranoid Android or The Tourist.

*With Kid A I knew what I was going to expect having heard small snippets of it before. I think the engineering and production on the album is very well done. I really like the fusion with more spacey kind of synth sounds with the integral instruments. It definitely shys away from the other releases, and I can see why some people would abandon them, but something like this would make my bond stronger with a band. Being able to almost change your whole format in the name of art is having balls. I think my favorite track is Idioteque, and this and amnesiac will probably be my favorites in the long run.

*Amnesiac is obviously in the same vein with Kid A, there is no denying that. I do find though that though they sound alike, structure wise Amnesiac isn't as strict. It allows for individual songs, which is good, but still at the same time, they flow together naturally. I find it hard to describe Amnesiac, but I like it! hehe. I think my favorite tracks are Packt like Sardines In A Crushed Can and I might be Wrong.

I have seen the light. They aren't my favorite band, but they are quickly becoming my third hehe (behind NIN and Tool.) Definitely deserve respect as one of the most influential and artistic acts of the 90's.
Old 04-21-02, 03:24 PM
Banned

I'm glad you like them.
Old 04-21-02, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

there's a mini album that came out after OK Computer called Airbag / How Am I Driving that is superb. no radiohead collection is complete without this one.
Old 04-21-02, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by monkeyboy
there's a mini album that came out after OK Computer called Airbag / How Am I Driving that is superb. no radiohead collection is complete without this one.
Ya I am aware of it hehe. I just spent enough money though hehe, i think I'll wait until I can soak in the ones I have before I get it hehe. No doubt I will get it someday though, I have a habit if having to get like everything released from certain favorite artists.
Old 04-22-02, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by monkeyboy
Indeed!

Anyways, Ergyu I am glad you like the cd's...I cant get enough of them. Luckily they are in the studio and we could have something new in a year!