Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Am I the only person who hates DVD Planet's new layout

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-02, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DVD Planet has been my favorite site the last couple of years for looking up DVD's (I also buy a lot there too). They recently modified it, and now what would display a list of titles on one page may take 4 pages. You can no longer from a title search on cast or director. Uness I know the title it's a pain in the butt to search for titles now. Click off the home pages for sale titles and now you get over 40 pages worth. Am I the only person that hates their new layout?
Old 04-16-02, 04:28 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Moving to Store Forum.
Old 04-16-02, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They seem to have solved one problem (slow page loads because of a huge number of graphics) and just replaced it with another (fewer titles listed per page).

I'm definitely happy that they've fixed up the graphics issue -- especially the home page, which had an obscene number of graphics and used to take several minutes to load even on a speedy connection.

But I agree with you -- I'd like to see a way to display more titles per page. I shouldn't have to go through 40 screens just to see their sale list.

They do have a feedback survey on the site (http://www.dvdplanet.com/myaccount/survey.asp). It may be a good way to let them know what you think...
Old 04-16-02, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually I use that every time I'm there to express my fustration, plus I've emailed them and nave not heard back yet.
Old 04-16-02, 05:34 PM
My Generosity Is Legendary

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by mgfred
Actually I use that every time I'm there to express my fustration, plus I've emailed them and nave not heard back yet.
I used to complain a lot about them on the feedback link and via Bizrate and only once did they respond personally. But they do listen because a number of the things I griped about have been addressed in one form or another over the past year.
The thing I griped the most about? The old web page. So, I like the new one.
Old 04-16-02, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

But does the slower line friendly part really need to have the search capablilites taken away. Before you could click on a title, if Clint Eastwood was in it, you could click on his name and it would show you all of his movies, up to about 20+ on one page. Now if you do it from a power search it will be about 4 pages where it was 2 before. From the front page check the up to 70% sale titles, and there are over 40 pages now, really easy to look for bargains that way?
Old 04-16-02, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I find their site looks thoroughly unprofessionnal... also, my brother ordered 6dvds which have yet to ship but they charged his card a week ago which is a very bad way to satisfy your customers (and isn't illegal?). I don't know, I never bought anything there, their site looks too amateur for me, makes me feel like I'm buying out of some guy who sells out of his garage (although ABsound had them beat by far for ugly)
Old 04-16-02, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Glad I'm not the only one who thought so -- I already e-mailed them to complain a few days ago.

What really makes me apprehensive is the alarming number of people recently who've stated that their cc was charged and item hadn't shipped yet.
Old 04-16-02, 10:55 PM
My Generosity Is Legendary

Originally posted by mgfred
But does the slower line friendly part really need to have the search capablilites taken away. Before you could click on a title, if Clint Eastwood was in it, you could click on his name and it would show you all of his movies, up to about 20+ on one page. Now if you do it from a power search it will be about 4 pages where it was 2 before. From the front page check the up to 70% sale titles, and there are over 40 pages now, really easy to look for bargains that way?
I'll agree with you there. It would be nice to combine that with the faster page loads.
Right now I'm content with getting the page to load before the movie I want goes OOP.
Old 04-17-02, 02:30 AM

Their site is by far the worst site I've seen from a major retailer of dvd's. You would think with all the $ they bring in they can get a half way decent design team. Have any of you heard their radio commercials? They're pretty damn dumb as well!
Old 04-17-02, 07:46 AM

they used to be a fantastic source of info
I would go to them 2 three times a day to see whats coming out.
Also I bought all my DVD's from them and would love to see whats dew out this tuesday next tuesday ect tuesday

well now its just a big mess!
I can still find whats announced on any given day but you cant see whats coming out on any given tuesday easly

Ive also sent them 3 e-mails and they havent replyed
you would think that if a cutomer that has spent over 4,000 dollars at there site would at least get a reply.

I never had a probelm with there speed but then again im on it at odd hours.

I hope they fix it and fast the next few months are gonna be great for DVD
Old 04-17-02, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't like their new site either. One of the main things about their old site I liked was the number of titles they listed on each page. The new site is fine if you're looking for a particular title, but it's horrible for browsing their inventory. This is also my biggest complaint with Deepdiscountdvd's site, they only list five titles per page.
Old 04-17-02, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thats exactly my point and I do hope someone from there might see this thread. So many times while browsing did I see something on sale and bought it on impulse, look at the sale title pages now, I frankly don't have the time to go through 40 pages.
Old 04-17-02, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Look what option just showed up on DVDPlanet:

On/Off Concise View

Using it and now 40 pages of sales titles are only 12!
Old 04-24-02, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

OH wow, they were begging me to go try their re-modified website again. I had given detailed criticism about that website that I had hoped was both useful and usable. Indicated was what I thought the problem was, a rationale on its significance, and one or more possible solutions (with potential benefits). A $5 off coupon on my next dvd purchase...

I think I will go back and see how much better this "concise" display is.... I loved the old "concise" display where I would get all the titles on a page with one title per line and the page was good and long so that I didn't have to keep inconveniently paging through. Seeing lots of titles on one page meant that I could comparison shop at their site (given a finite amount of money, i could see all the titles and decide which one to buy) rather than *gasp* bringing up a competitors' website to comparison shop.