Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Unsolicited CC.com e-mails

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 04-09-02, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

AS we all know, Circuit City purchased 800.com's database. They sent us all a kind letter to "introduce" themselves. In that letter you could request that you be removed from their mailings list.

Since I did not request that CC ever send me anything, I replied to the "opt out" along with a brief message. That message basically stated that I did not request to be on CC's mailing list and demand to be removed. Also in my e-mail was a section stating that, should CC elect to continue to send me unsolicited advertisements, they would be subject to a $500 reading fee for use of my time.

Guess what I received in my e-mail today? You betcha'. An ad for CC.com. So, I fired off the following repsonse:

You received my name and e-mail address when you purchased 800.com. At that point in time you sent an e-mail out announcing your acquisition. In that e-mail was an "opt out" to longer receive e-mails from you. As I did not ask for e-mails from you (I did request such info from 800.com) I replied to the "opt out." In my response I requested that you do not send me solicitations via e-mail. Also in that correspondance was a stipulation that if you DID send such advertisements AGAINST my request, you would be subject to a fee for taking up my valuable time and e-mail space. You have now sent me 1 unsolicited e-mail advertisment, also known as SPAM. You are now subject to a $500 reading fee. As this is the first offense, I will accept payment in the form of a gift certificate, merchandise voucher, or other form of credit. Of course, a check is also acceptable form of payment.
This is a legal recourse on my part and has been backed by court ruled precedent.
I will allow one response from your "customer care" department without subjecting you to further billings.

Doubtful that they will respond. However, there is legal precedent set for such recourse. Any thoughts? (Go ahead, tell me I'm certifiably whacko!)

Old 04-09-02, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Unsolicited CC.com e-mails

[i] Any thoughts? (Go ahead, tell me I'm certifiably whacko!) [/B]

Okay, let me be the first.......
Old 04-09-02, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But let us know if you get the $500!
Old 04-10-02, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
good luck! spam sucks! btw: i'd be extremely impressed if they did send you the money in any form
Old 04-10-02, 12:49 AM

I doubt you will get any response. It would be nice, though.

I would tend to think that you would have to prove that they actually received your first e-mail to have an actionable complaint.

If your really mad about this, print out your e-mails and send them off to the corporate office via certified mail. An actual letter is more likely to get a response than a e-mail that can disappear.

Good luck-
Old 04-10-02, 07:30 AM

I've had the same problem.. no matter how many times I've written to all the CC addresses to stop emailing me, they keep sending me crap.. so I've just blocked all email from their domains...
Old 04-10-02, 09:51 AM

Here is something you might want to read about a guy who fights to get the 500$ from companies.

http://smallclaim.info/
Old 04-10-02, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by thepol
Here is something you might want to read about a guy who fights to get the 500$ from companies.

http://smallclaim.info/
That dude collected a huge a$$ amount of money! But I wonder how much his time's worth....
Old 04-11-02, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts
This all stems from an article that I saved from a few years back. I forget the specifics (I can dig the article out if you are all interested), but this guy went into a computer store and purchased a book. While checking out, the clerk asked for his name, address, and phone number. The man refused and asked why. The clerk repsonded that it was for their mailing list. The gentleman again declined and gave the clerk the check for the book. The clerk then began to copy the gentleman's information from the check into the computer for their mailing list. The man asked the clerk what he was doing, to which the clerk replied "nothing." The man then took the check back and scrawled a memo on the back saying that the company would be subject to a fine for each piece of advertising they sent him, and ny cashing the check agreed to this. He ended up collecting for a half dozen or so breaches of the contract.