Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Now what's next?? (speaker recommendations?)

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-02, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We bought a 56" HD tv and a progressive scan dvd player. Now we need the sound system. The most we can spend is no more than $1000. Is it possible to get something decent in this price range?? We're not looking for loudness - what we do want is good clear theatric sound though.
Can I get some ideas from you all that have experience in this field? I would like to know name brands and prices.
The tv is in a room 15 x 20 size.
Thanks alot.

Last edited by bfrank; 04-04-02 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-04-02, 08:36 AM
Mod Emeritus

Jamie, you might consider asking bfrank to change your thread title to something more descriptive... it would get you more responses.

Anyway, with $1000 you aren't going to see the highest end stuff, but you can probably do OK. You might want to consider going the "easy" way and look at the "Home Theater in a Box" systems... Kenwood makes a pretty decent one. If you prefer, you could look at a combination of pieces and still be under your limit. I've pasted in some comments found in other recent threads.

Stolen from skar:
Receiver: Onkyo 595/600 - $380
5 speakers: Everyone has their favorite brand. I would listen to entry level bookshelves from brands like PSB, Paradigm, Energy, B&W, Mirage, and Klipsch. You should be able to find 5 excellent speakers for around $800.

Also stolen from skar:
Receiver: Onkyo 595 or 600 $380
Fronts: PSB Image 2B $270
Center: PSB Image 8C $220
Rears: PSB Image 1B $215
Sub: PSB Alpha Subsonic 5 $360

Total = $1445

High end speaker cables are overated in my book. You should be able to get 100' of 12 gauge speaker wire for under $50.

Other excellent speaker brands to consider include Paradigm, Mirage, Def Tech, and Energy.

Stolen from Sn0:
for 1500 you can look at say an onkyo 595 or 600 and some speakers like B&W 600 series maybe 602 in the front 601 in the rear and a cc6 for a center. Then for a sub look at the sony (SAMW40???) should be in right around 1500 if you can find a dealer with some instock series 2

skar has been very busy lately:
My recommendation for a starter system would be to purchase a low end receiver from a top level company like the Onkyo 494 (about $250). Then add some speakers from a company like Energy, PSB, or JBL. Finish off with the Sony WA-40 sub. Total cost is about $650-800. If you can't afford it all at once, start with the receiver and two speakers and add from there. It won't cost you any money to build your system piece by piece.
Old 04-04-02, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
less than a year ago, i had this same need with the same budget. for under $1000 including cables and speaker stands i got:

Harman Kardon AVR 110 Reciever (newer models should be available now at a similar price point)
JBL Northridge NSP-1 Surround speaker Set (2 front, 2 rear, 1 center)
Sony SA-WM40 Sub

This setup sounds great in my apartment. I hope you have good luck finding a system!
Old 04-04-02, 02:01 PM
Cool New Member

As someone who was in the same position a year ago I suggest you consider the size of the room housing your set up before doing anything! Generally BIG speakers in small rooms sound bad as do tiny speakers in BIG rooms.
I went for an entry level ONKYO 494 receiver, 4 x PSB Intro LR's, 1 X Intro CLR and a PSB Subsonic 5. Came to approx $1150 (I think) but the whole package sounds great in my average size listening room. I went with everything from the same supplier because 1 - it's easier and 2 - everything matches in decor and sound! As for stands have a look in Ikea, good cheap stands which will do the job. I rarely have the sound anywhere near the 50% mark - just too loud for me but clarity and musicality of the little speakers backed up by the great subwoofer is remarkable.
Old 04-04-02, 03:17 PM
Banned

If you want to go with a Home-Theater-In-A-Box set up, I would suggest looking at Unity which is a package put together by Boston Acoustics and Kenwood.

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/Produ...=5&SeriesID=22

Unlike some HTIB packages, this one is pushing 100 watts RMS which is enough to fill that room and more (if you decide to move or something). I don't know about the Kenwood DVD Player and Receiver combo, but Boston Acoustics makes very respectable speakers. At exactly $1000, this may be exactly what you are looking for.
Old 04-08-02, 01:42 PM

Thanks alot I am going to check this out and I will surely be back for more information - thanks!