Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Recommend me a DVD Player

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-02, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking for a new one. I'd like it to be able to play CDR and CDRWs, as my Current 550D Sony does not like to play them at all.

Would like to keep it Sony, but...all other brands will be considrered.

thanks
Old 04-03-02, 12:56 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: Recommend me a DVD Player

Originally posted by Thunderball
Looking for a new one. I'd like it to be able to play CDR and CDRWs, as my Current 550D Sony does not like to play them at all.

Would like to keep it Sony, but...all other brands will be considrered.

thanks
Why don't you just stick a DVD-ROM in your new computer?
Old 04-03-02, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Pioneer DV-47A is the ultimate DVD player. It's a progressive scan player - fully compatable with CDR's, CDRW'S, DVDR'S and offers SACD multi-channel playback. I can't recommend this unit enough. I picked up mine for $755 (retail is $1,200).
Old 04-03-02, 04:15 PM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by highdef
The Pioneer DV-47A is the ultimate DVD player. It's a progressive scan player - fully compatable with CDR's, CDRW'S, DVDR'S and offers SACD multi-channel playback. I can't recommend this unit enough. I picked up mine for $755 (retail is $1,200).
You know, this is getting ridiculous with all your plugs for this unit.

It's kind of hard to imagine how that unit can be the ultimate answer for every person when you have no idea about their purpose, display device, or budget.
Old 04-03-02, 04:23 PM

I like my Pioneer 503. Used to retail for $220 but been hearing people getting it as low as $150 at Costco. 5 disc changer, not progressive but then again that doesn't matter if you don't have a good TV. Plays CDs, CD-Rs, CD-RWs, VCD, SVCD, just about anything I throw at it. No MP3 support. If you want a good place to see what's compatible on what, go vcdhelp . They have a DVD player database, lots of info and user opinions.
Old 04-03-02, 04:35 PM

malata n996 is the best player ever. It's progressive scan, converts pal->ntsc, and is region free. all for about $300USD. Now that's the ultimate player.
Old 04-03-02, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Has Sony started to support CD-R/RW? The Sony's I've seen don't.

Players like the Panasonic RV-31 and the Pioneer 343 should fit the bill for modest cost.
Old 04-03-02, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So far as "X" is concerned, this IS the first time that I am recommending this unit, as it was just released tbis month.
(I have only had my unit for a few days now) You must be confusing the Pioneer Elite DV-47A with the Pioneer Elite
DVR-7000 recorder/player that I HAVE promoted many
times before.

Regarding price, YOU DO get what you pay for - and if image,
features, and flexibility are important to you, this player rocks. Sure, not every person will want to spend over $750 on a player,
but those who do will see just what I am talking about.
Old 04-03-02, 07:57 PM
X
Administrator

So far as "X" is concerned, this IS the first time that I am recommending this unit, as it was just released tbis month.
(I have only had my unit for a few days now) You must be confusing the Pioneer Elite DV-47A with the Pioneer Elite
DVR-7000 recorder/player that I HAVE promoted many
times before.

features, and flexibility are important to you, this player rocks. Sure, not every person will want to spend over $750 on a player,
I didn't say "recommending", I said "plug" as in "advertise". I just think it's fair to know where a person is coming from when they suddenly "recommend" a particular piece of equipment regardless of the requestor's criteria.

To wit... (not to mention an identical "plug" that was removed from another thread)

I received an e-mail today from Pioneer concerning their upcoming Elite DV-47A dvd player. First off, yes, it is being released in April.

Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc., today announced a truly universal DVD player offering playback capabilities for both DVD-Audio and multi-channel SACD player. The DV-47A offers playback of DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, SACD, SACD Multi, CD, CD-R, DVD-R and MP3 formats. The DV-47A also includes 108MHz/12 bit video processing, 192kHz/24bit audio processing, Legato PRO™, six channel audio output, and Pioneer's PureCinema™ progressive scan.

"The DV-47A universal DVD player offers consumers technological strength that is unrivaled in the industry," said Craig McManis, vice president of marketing for home entertainment at Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. "Multi-channel recording has completely changed the way artists create music. Artists can now create a true three-dimensional environment with sound quality that far surpasses conventional CDs, and consumers have a new option to play all kinds of discs in a single player."
Anyone read a review on the Pioneer Elite DV-47A? Is it all that it's cracked-up to be? If so this is a great progressive scan player with DVD audio. Anyone????
So how cool is this unit? Is it worth all the hype? I am eagerly awaiting your review, TheKobra, so I know if I should buy one.

docdvd.com had this to say about the unit:

Pioneer Elite DV-47A

Digital Man

Pioneer is on top of their game right now. First the Pro1000HD Plasma that smoked all closet competitors as far as being the first HD plasma that actually looks good; secondly, the 49TX receiver, light years ahead of the closest competitor, the Denon 5803, for one main reason: the Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration Circuit; now Pioneer steps forward with possibly their greatest achievement thus far, a multi-channel SACD/DVD-Audio/12bit Progressive DVD player for under $1500. The only competitor currently is the sub-class Apex unit which offers close specs but inferior results.

The Sony 9000ES, a true reference DVD player, only features 2 channel SACD, but also does offer the 12bit pro scan; the Toshiba 9200, one of the reference DVD Audio players, has only 10bit pro scan and no SACD. All three units are in the same field for video performance (the Toshiba falls slightly behind), pricing is similar, but the Pioneer wins out for shear features alone.

Features:

Video Performance Features:

PureCinema Progressive Scan (2-3 Pulldown)
108MHz/12bit Video DAC for high-quality DVD pictures
Super-Fine Focus Filter with 4:4:4 Video up-sampling
16 Video Parameter Adjustments w/3 User Memories (Progressive Motion, PureCinema (on, off, Auto),YNR, CNR, Mosquito NR, Block NR, Sharpness High, Sharpness Mid, Detail, White level, Black Level, Gamma, Black Setup, Hue, Chroma Level, Chroma Delay)
3 Factory Video Settings (CRT/PDP/Professional)
Parallel S-Video/Composite/Component Video Outputs
Pioneer Exclusive Viterbi Error Correction with Accurate Digital Servo for Superior Reading Accuracy
Still Step Play Forward and Reverse
Slow Motion Playback
Audio Performance Features:

DVD Audio Playback
SACD multi-channel playback (1 bit)
MP3 Playback Capability
Twin-Wave Laser Pickup for CD/Video CD/CD-R/CD-RW playback
Triple 192KHz/24-bit (3x2) Audio DAC's for superb sound quality
Legato Pro Conversion
Dolby Digital and DTS Digital Outputs
Dolby Digital and DTS Decoders
What else could you want? This bad boy has it all. It does not do video scaling, as this unit was designed for new HD sets that offer multiple aspect progressive scan inputs. While this may be an issue to some, this effects only 5% of the DVD market, as most DVDs currently are anamorphic, thus negating the need for 4:3 and letterbox scaling.

Features Rating: 97

Connectivity

Video:

Component Video (Y, Cr, Cb) Output x 1
S-Video (S2 Compatible) x 2
Composite Video Output x 2
Audio:

Dolby Digital/DTS/LPCM Coaxial Output x 1
Dolby Digital/DTS/LPCM Optical Output x 1
Analog Output x 2 (2ch)
Analog Output x 1 (6ch)

The only thing missing is a firewire output, which is not available on any current player short of the new Denon DVD9000, which does not offer (at least at press time) SACD. It is also proprietary, and does not work with any receiver other than the 5803. At this point, firewire is a non-issue as the standard keeps changing, and now may morph into firewire 2 (a mega-speed cable that delivers close to a gigabit of performance).

Connectivity Rating: 91

Look & Feel:

The unit is much sleeker and smaller than I imagined; significantly smaller than the Sony 9000ES and slightly smaller than the 9200. Don't let it small size fool you, this baby packs a punch. The glossy Urushi finish is sure to delight the significant other, and keeps the look of the Elite line. It is not as sleek or monstrous as the 9000ES, the single handsomest unit on the market. It weighs less than 15 lbs, very similar to the DV37.

The remote is standard Pioneer Elite fare, with a glowing interface and a jog dial. This unit also controls out of the box a Pioneer TV, and offers every button one could want. A true backlight would be nice, but most high-end DVD users prefer a Pronto or Marantz touch screen.

Look & Feel Rating: 91

Performance:

Early reviews from Germany on the European counterpart, the DV733A and 747 had this unit sounding too bright, and not reference quality. Well, plain out, I disagree. I measured this unit's audio performance in comparison to the Sony multi-channel carousel and Technics DVD-A100N, and the output levels and frequencies were close to the same when measured with my Sencore Audio Pro RTA.

Like the 9000ES and the Sony carousel, this unit offers 1bit decoding for SACD. Unlike any other unit on the market, Pioneer's well-review Legato Link D/A converters has been upgraded for SACD and DVD Audio, and now Legato Pro offers stunning audio reproduction from its six channel outputs. Be forewarned, if using a receiver that offers some sort of attenuation, you may want to engage it if possible for the multi-channel in, as this unit delivers a very powerful signal (extremely loud) to your receiver. Enhancements such as direct play for CD playback are also a nice touch, making this a fine CD player as well. Unlike the 9000ES, the CD playback of the unit is not nearly as bright. SACDs load in approx. 8 seconds, quite a bit faster than the carousel or APEX player.

Video performance is where this unit shines. The 12 bit/108mhz Video DAC is awesome. The PureCinema 2:3 reverse telecine quickly identifies video and film material, making for a truly artifact free picture. This unit does not offer the auto progressive mode of early Pioneer pro players, switching to interlaced mode when a non-anamorphic DVD is played back.

When the video settings button is engaged on the remote, you can customize everything you want with multiple DNR settings, or simply select one of Pioneer's preset modes. We tested this unit with a Pioneer Pro1000HD, and the 47A offers a PDP setting, specifically designed for plasmas. It also offers CRT and Professional monitor modes for different types of sets. The picture noise is dramatically decreased, and this is one of the few DNR features on any player that I will engage. The picture is stunning without DNR, but it is even better with it. Look at usual artifacting suspects such as sky noise, and the mosquito DNR feature simply eliminates it.

Color detail and saturation are mainly DVD dependent, but this unit does offer a great grayscale reproduction. The color of black is easily achieved in your monitor as this unit passes the -7.5 PLUGE as well as the 0 PLUGE. This blacker than black signal is available on most higher end units today.

When switched to Interlace, as consumers with older sets or scalers will do, the picture is fantastic. This has one of the better interlaced pictures available, and offers further DNR and color noise adjustments to compensate. Much to do is made of the infamous Chroma bug this unit, as well as the Sony 9000ES have, but this is much to do about nothing. The average consumer does not see the minor streaking on background material this but inflicts, and is something that has never bothered me on any unit I have reviewed.

Performance Rating: 98

Value:

Simply put, you can't beat this unit on value. Period.

Value Rating: 99

Overall Rating: 95

Read More DVD Players Reviews & More at eCoustics.com
Old 04-04-02, 09:23 AM
mdX

they'll also see an image that still has the chroma upsampling bug, which is completely unacceptable at this point. The DV-47A also lacks bass management for DVD-A and SACD (it only has it for DD/DTS sources). It's also not nearly as well built as previous elite players. Hardly the "ultimate" dvd player, considering its $1200 MSRP or ~$800 street price
Old 04-04-02, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do you own one and if so is it connected to an HDtv?
If the answer is no, then why are you simply citing specs
AND NOT practicle application?

As for the price, IT IS the "ultimate elite player" in its price point.
as for this "chroma bug" issue that you refer; it HAS NOT presented any problem for my applications.

As for the dvd audio complaint, again I have no problem with its playback quality.
Old 04-04-02, 10:49 AM
Premium Member

Originally posted by mdX

they'll also see an image that still has the chroma upsampling bug, which is completely unacceptable at this point. The DV-47A also lacks bass management for DVD-A and SACD (it only has it for DD/DTS sources). It's also not nearly as well built as previous elite players. Hardly the "ultimate" dvd player, considering its $1200 MSRP or ~$800 street price

"Six channel audio outs"

Bass managment is handled by the receiver.
Old 04-04-02, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks, bfrank, for your auspicious statement regarding dvd audio and this player. That's the reason why I have no problem with DVD multi-channel audio playback on the DV-47A. I'm glad someone else posted this statement, as I have been accused of "over-promoting" Pioneer products.
Old 04-04-02, 12:13 PM
Premium Member

highdef - dont feel "accused".

I am new to the mod stuff but now I understand a lot more of how hard it can be. There is always a fine line when a mod should say or not say something. Dont read more into what has been said.

It is very tough for the mods to tell if a thread is legit or a spam.

Last edited by bfrank; 04-04-02 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-04-02, 01:09 PM
mdX

Originally posted by bfrank

"Six channel audio outs"

Bass managment is handled by the receiver.
bfrank,

the 6-channel analog inputs on most receivers are "direct" inputs, in that the analog signal is not re-digitized. Since bass management is performed in the digital domain, no BM is applied on the 6-channel inputs. A lot of the benefit of high-resolution DVD-A/SACD is lost if the receiver is re-digitizing the input signal, which is why most receivers designed with DVD-A/SACD in mind don't do it. So the DVD-A/SACD player should be performing some sort of bass management before the D->A step. Not having it on first-generation players is excusable. Not having it on a current generation $1200 player is not.

hidef,

the chroma bug might not present a problem for you, but it is there nonetheless, and should not be. There is not a problem with the DV-47A's quality of DVD-A/SACD decoding or output. The problem is the lack of bass management, which is a problem for anyone not using 5 full-range speakers and a sub. This is a problem that is very real, and has been discussed at length elsewhere.

If the DV-47A does everything you need it to, that's great. But it is far from perfect, and potential buyers should be alerted to its limitations and allowed to decide for themselves if they are significant to them. If the two flaws I mentioned before were not present, I would be a happy owner of a DV-47A right now.
Old 04-04-02, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To each their own. Buy a player that is right for your home theatre system.