Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

I just want to play a PAL DVD... what do I do?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-02, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok. I have searched and searched and just get a lot of confusing information. I just want a simple answer! (if possible, ha ha).

I am in the US. I have a region 2, PAL picture format DVD (Motorhead "Boneshaker"). I do not want to play this on my computer, but on a TV at home through a stand alone player.

I want to play it (and eventually get the Futurama DVDs, South Park seasion sets, and ECW PPVs from overseas).

What exactly do I need to play it?

Can my PS2 play it if I get a new DVD driver for it?

Some people say I need a region free DVD player. Then others say I must ALSO have a PAL TV. Or a converter. Others say APEX-1500 will play it. But then only with a certain serial number. Then yet other people say I have to "flash" it (whatever that means).

Can someone please give me some simple answers?

Thanks!
Old 03-25-02, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Are DVD discs PAL or NTSC? DVD discs are still either PAL or NTSC standard. Also, similar to multisystem VCRs, most DVD players will not convert video standards. When you're playing an NTSC-standard DVD, it will output an NTSC signal. When you're playing a PAL-standard DVD, it will output a PAL signal.
I take this to mean that even if your player could play it you would need a PAL TV to view it.

http://www.zonefreedvd.com/codefreed...onfreefaq.html

Here is another link

http://www.horrordvds.com/extras/articles/palntsc/

DVD is a little different. Most DVD players just outputs the signal in either PAL or NTSC - whatever the disc is. Then it just has to be converted. Of course, many PAL DVDs will be region locked for other countries so you'd need a region free player in order to play it. Many of these PAL horror DVDs end up being Region free (i.e. they aren't coded for any specific region, meaning it can be played anywhere). The whole 'Region free' topic is beyond the scope of this article, but we will be discussing it in more detail in a future article.

Last edited by Brian Shannon; 03-25-02 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-25-02, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Buying a TV set in the U.S. that is multi-format is difficult and is probably the most expensive and unnecessary route to go.

You need two things: A region-free (or multi-region) DVD player, and a player that will convert PAL to NTSC. Apex DVD players can be hacked to do this, but they suck at the PAL-to-NTSC conversion.

Your best bet is to head over to www.avdeals.com and buy a Malata DVD player. There are a couple of models to choose from. Both are good players and will do everything you need them to do.
Old 03-25-02, 07:29 PM
wkc
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check out the Daewoo forum at http://www.nerd-out.com/forum/

The Daewoo 5700 wil output to a NTSC tv from a PAL DVD disc with the use of a CDR flash upgrade. Otherwise check out the Apex 3201 which can be region hacked using the remote control.

Regards
Old 03-26-02, 02:13 AM

Look at the Sampo DVE-611 as well. Cheap, less then $100 and easy to hack with a CD-Rom.
Old 03-26-02, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Salty
Buying a TV set in the U.S. that is multi-format is difficult and is probably the most expensive and unnecessary route to go.

You need two things: A region-free (or multi-region) DVD player, and a player that will convert PAL to NTSC. Apex DVD players can be hacked to do this, but they suck at the PAL-to-NTSC conversion.
Can you please tell me how the apex conversions suck? I bought one to be able to watch PAL vcd's. It plays those fine on my NTSC television. Mine isn't region hacked yet but if your dvd's are not region coded they will play fine. There is no region hack info on the model I bought yet (apex 1100w, 73 dollars at walmart). Its a great player for the money. Mine is still kicking after 2 months. Heheh. It is cheaply constructed and I have heard rumors they save money by not paying any royalties, don't know if that is true or not. But you will be hard pressed to find anything that does as much for the money. A stand alone pal to ntsc converter costs several hundred dollars alone and you cant play dvd's with it.

-K
Old 03-26-02, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Kevlar

Can you please tell me how the apex conversions suck? I bought one to be able to watch PAL vcd's. It plays those fine on my NTSC television. Mine isn't region hacked yet but if your dvd's are not region coded they will play fine. There is no region hack info on the model I bought yet (apex 1100w, 73 dollars at walmart). Its a great player for the money. Mine is still kicking after 2 months. Heheh. It is cheaply constructed and I have heard rumors they save money by not paying any royalties, don't know if that is true or not. But you will be hard pressed to find anything that does as much for the money. A stand alone pal to ntsc converter costs several hundred dollars alone and you cant play dvd's with it.

-K
I have the original legendary Apex AD-600A. While it works well on almost everything it is supposed to do, its PAL to NTSC conversion on anamorphic PAL DVDs compresses the picture a little too much. The picture is perhaps 10% more squeezed (my guess) than it should be, rendering everything a little wider and shorter than it should be. It's not horrible but it is definitely noticeable.

I don't know how the newer Apexes do on this. I'm pretty sure that I am going to pick up a Malata soon.
Old 03-26-02, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Kevlar
Can you please tell me how the apex conversions suck?
What movielib said.
Old 04-09-02, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I decided to get the Malata DVD-N996. I ordered it from AVDeals.com on Saturday, April 6. I couldn't believe it but it arrived already today.

http://www.avdeals.com/malatan996.htm

It was a breeze to connect and go through the setup menu. And my Region 2 and Region 4 anamorphic discs now have the perfect, correct aspect ratio. No more Apex "too squeezed" look.

This is indeed the region free player to get.
Old 04-10-02, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by movielib
Well, I decided to get the Malata DVD-N996. I ordered it from AVDeals.com on Saturday, April 6. I couldn't believe it but it arrived already today.

http://www.avdeals.com/malatan996.htm

It was a breeze to connect and go through the setup menu. And my Region 2 and Region 4 anamorphic discs now have the perfect, correct aspect ratio. No more Apex "too squeezed" look.

I am about to buy that DVD player myself in the next couple weeks. I was wondering, however, if you need to buy any additional cables to hook it up to your TV? Does the DVD player come with all you need or do you need to purchase the cords separately?
Old 04-10-02, 01:22 PM

Pioneer 535

I have a Pioneer 535 (region free) model.....It converts the PAL VCD's so I can play them on my NTSC TV..Why can't it do the same for the DVD's???

And...

can I get my DVD modded again so that it can convert the PAL DVD"s so I can watch them???
Old 04-10-02, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by calhoun07

I am about to buy that DVD player myself in the next couple weeks. I was wondering, however, if you need to buy any additional cables to hook it up to your TV? Does the DVD player come with all you need or do you need to purchase the cords separately?
It does come with composite audio/video cables and component video cables but they are not of high quality.
Old 04-11-02, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Daewoo squeeze?

I'm thinking of getting a Daewoo (cheaper than the Malata), but if it has the same 'squeeze' problem it won't be woth the savings.

Anyone have any experience with it?
Old 04-11-02, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by movielib

Agreed 100%. I received my Malata on 4/9 and couldn't be happier. I also own the Apex 1500 and the difference is drastic, especially on my HDTV.
Old 04-12-02, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm also looking at the Daewoo's and would be eager to get some input as well.
Old 04-13-02, 05:59 AM
Mod Emeritus

Here are links to some threads from the International Forum that may be of interest to people here:And check out the stickies atop that forum for lots of great info!
Old 04-13-02, 08:14 AM

I bought a Sharp DV-740U (Sampo DV-611 clone) just for region 2 and more so Angel Season 1 and 2, what when ever the next ones come out. Granted I had to update the bios via a CD-R and make it regionless with a CD-R (had some troubles, was getting pretty pissed off) and then the picture was black and white and rolled. I was even more pissed off that, but after cracking open the remote to access a hidden button for switching it to Pal or NTSC output everything is working fine. I only paid $75 for the unit on eBay, so I am more than happy now. I didn't want to spend a lot and I didn't need prog scan since all most all the DVDs I will buy will be in region 1 and I have my Pioneer DV-37 for playback of those, it works for me.