Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Live's Album -V- (Ecstatic Fanatic) - A Look Back

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-02, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember when this album came out a lot of people really didn't like it. I saw Live in concert about a month after the release and was floored by how many people I overheard whining and complaining that Live hadn't done anything good since Throwing Copper. I'm sure those idiots changed their tune after the concert, which kicked more ass than imaginable, but I guess everyone's entitled to their opinion.

Now it's been a while since this album came out, and I was curious how the die hard and/or casual Live fans feel about it now that they've had some time to absorb it. When it came out, I wasn't sure what to make of it, but having expereinced the drastic change in stlye in their previous 3 new releases, I knew it would take a while before I adjusted. Seeing them in concert so soon after the release (and having heard most of the music for months before the CD came out), the transition was pretty quick for me.

Anyway, I enjoyed the album when it first came out, but I've grown to love it as much as the other 4 (major releases) over time. Like their other albums, it stalls a bit towards the end (except for Overcome), but it's still a great album. Thoughts?

das
Old 03-24-02, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, I'm a diehard Live fan and I saw them at a festival in late July about 2 months before the album (but i had a bootleg and so i knew the new songs).

I like the album. I don't listen to it that much anymore but I was sick of it before it ever came out. I wore that Cd-R out.

I don't care what anybody says. They are fooking great in concert. I've seen em eight times.
Old 03-24-02, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the album is pretty good, I would rank it third. My personal favorite album of their's is Secret Samadhi. I'm not a diehard fan, but I do have all their cds.

I must disagree about them in concert though, I have only seen them once, but I thought it was one of the worst shows I've seen. Maybe, it's because it was them and counting crows and they both felt they could cut the show short. That was about 1.5 years ago if my memory is right. They played for like an hour tops.
Old 03-25-02, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by jeagley
I must disagree about them in concert though, I have only seen them once, but I thought it was one of the worst shows I've seen. Maybe, it's because it was them and counting crows and they both felt they could cut the show short. That was about 1.5 years ago if my memory is right. They played for like an hour tops.
OK, this is the second time I've heard this, so I'm going to assume there was something wrong with this show. It's the only Live tour I've missed, as I was out of the country at the time. I've seen them in concert at least 10 times and at least once for the tour of each of their 5 major albums. And every concert has kicked an incredible amount of ass. A friend of mine told me he knew a guy who went to the Counting Crows tour and said it was a bad concert. I told him that he needed to stop talking to that idiot. How could anyone not love their concerts?

Hearing this a second time makes me wonder if this was just a fluke or something. I've seen them in a massive stadium, on a dedicated lawn, sharing the stage at a music festival, and in a tiny venue of a couple hundred people, and each concert has been incredible. It boggles the mind that someone had a bad time, but for now I'm just going to assume that there was something wrong with that Counting Crows tour.

If you get the chance, try to see them again. I think it will be worth it.

das
Old 03-25-02, 08:02 AM

Yeah I hear you. I def wouldn't consider my one experiance the rule for them. I always try to see a group I like more than once, so I do hope to catch them again soon. Everybody has an off night. From the sounds maybe it was a bad tour though.

I'm thinking maybe it was so short because it both are capable of being the headline band. That night it was the Counting Crows. What they did was def good, but I swear they only performed for like 45 minutes same for the Crows. When you pay 45+ you just expect a little more out of it.

I must say, one very cool thing was when they The Crows and Live sang together on a few songs at the end.

I hope to catch them again, and although I"m not a super fan, can appreciate them alot compared to most the groups popular today.
Old 03-25-02, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I personally do not like the album and would rank it last in my Live discography. (Distance to Here #1, Throwing Copper #2)
Old 03-26-02, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like 'V' better then 'The Distance to Here' but still consider 'Secret Samadhi' their best.
Old 03-26-02, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
V is one of the most disappointing albums I have ever bought. And this is coming off of The Distance To Here, which is my favorite of Live's albums.
Old 03-26-02, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, definite division in opinion here. It's certainly not my favorite album, but I really, really like it. And I love some of the lyrics.

For those who hate the album, care to share why?

For those who like the album, same question, or more specifically, which songs? Personally, I really get into Simple Creed, People Like You, Deep Enough, Transmit Your Love, and Overcome. And I don't particularly care for Forever May Not Be Long Enough, Flow, or OK?.

das
Old 03-26-02, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I just didn't like the song writing and structure. Also, too many (any is too many) rap-like vocals by Ed.
Old 03-27-02, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yup, this is the only tour I've seen them too, and it's definitely the worst concert I've ever been to. I've loved almost everyone of Live's albums (though I haven't been able to get into the new one much) - Mental Jewelry is probably one of my top ten listened to albums of all time - but there show just blew chunks.
Old 03-28-02, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by JonTurner
Yup, this is the only tour I've seen them too, and it's definitely the worst concert I've ever been to. I've loved almost everyone of Live's albums (though I haven't been able to get into the new one much) - Mental Jewelry is probably one of my top ten listened to albums of all time - but there show just blew chunks.
It's official then. This tour must have sucked ass. Thank God I was out of the country. And to think, I've been pissed for years that I missed that tour. Again I urge anyone who had a bad experience with that tour to see them again. I've been to more concerts than I can count, and Live is easily one of the top two or three performers I've seen.

das
Old 03-28-02, 01:11 PM

Well we're all settled on the concert then. I would like to see them again, and will give them another chance based upon your thoughts das.

Not sure why I didn't like the album, just know I listened to it enough to like it or not. I'll give it a listen to tonight to see if I had a reason or was one of those things that you write off as one of things you don't like for not reason at all.

If I do remember correctly, I thought it was sorta rappish as one other person mentioned as well. I'm sorta thining maybe sorta 311'sh. I could be wrong.
Old 03-28-02, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well we're all settled on the concert then. I would like to see them again, and will give them another chance based upon your thoughts das.

Uh oh ... now I'm in trouble. Nah, you should like it. In any case, they never charge much for concerts anyway. Most times I've seen them it's been under $25. And they usually have some interesting opening acts. I saw Weezer open for them once, which was great, and last time they were in Atlanta, the Stereo MC's opened. Stereo MC's was an odd choice, but they kicked some serious ass.

Not sure why I didn't like the album, just know I listened to it enough to like it or not. I'll give it a listen to tonight to see if I had a reason or was one of those things that you write off as one of things you don't like for not reason at all.

If I do remember correctly, I thought it was sorta rappish as one other person mentioned as well. I'm sorta thining maybe sorta 311'sh. I could be wrong.

It's definitely "something." I don't know if "rappish" is the right word, and I certainly wouldn't compare it to 311, but it definitely has its on style to it. And I agree that there are a few songs where Ed's "rapping" is a little out of place. But there are others where it works for me. It isn't a particularly "spiritual" album, but I still like the message, and some of the lyrics are wonderful. Some of the songs are a little trite, but I guess when it comes to having them in the studio or up on stage, I'd rather have the latter (to an extent). I've been listening to it a lot the past few days trying to decide where it fits among my collection, and the more I listen the more I enjoy songs that didn't really grab me back when the album came out.

Oh, well. Let me call Ed and tell him to start touring again so you can go see them.

das
Old 03-29-02, 09:33 PM
Retired

I like V just about as much as all their albums. I loved it the first time I listened to it, and I still listen to it a lot. I particularily like "Forever Might Not Be Long Enough," but the whole album is great. Secret Samadhi is still my fave though.

As for the concerts, I've seen them 3 times and the show with Counting Crows was the best, but then again I'm a pretty big Counting Crows fan as well. Both bands sounded great and had a lot of energy. I saw them in Pittsburgh. I believe it was Sept. 2, 2000. It was somewhat short, each band played for around an hour and 15 minutes.

The worst show I saw was when they opened for Jane's Addiction in Pittsburgh last Oct. They did a real mellowed out set. They had furniture on stage and basically just set around. They also did mostly their mellowest songs (lightening crashes, over come, etc.) and I prefer their harder songs (i.e. Lakini's Juice) so it was a bit of a let down, especially compared to the ass-kicking shows they put on the first 2 times I saw them.