Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon.com not posting info for DVD's anymore.

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 03-23-02, 02:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tonight, I checked Amazon.com to check out the special features of a couple discs and it turned out that Amazon has deleted all of the information for their DVD's. I have come to use that info to make decisions about what discs I would like to purchase. I hope some of you out there use this information in the same light as I do, if you feel the same way as I do, let em' know how you feel! Talk to y'all laters.

Here is a copy of the letter I sent to them regarding this:

To Whom It May Concern,

I am a frequent shopper of your site and I have come to appreciate the infomation Amazon.com provides in the DVD section of your store. I am quite disturbed by what changes recently have been made to the information sections of the technical details of each individual DVD. I have come to RELY on that info to provide me with sufficent information about future purchases. I would think that I am not the only one who frequently looks at what each DVD has to offer. I'd like to know if there are commentaries (if so, by whom), documentaries, deleted scenes and so on. Part of why I use your site is the fact that I can browse a large number of titles and not have to leave my home. If in the future you're not providing the consumer (i.e. me or someone else for that matter)with the information that LEADS to future purchases, then what will stop them from going somewhere else to a place that does provide what they're looking for? Plus, since studios are re-releasing titles all the time, how is the average consumer supposed to know the difference between what they want and what they do not? By not providing sufficent information, you are discouraging informative and empowering decisions on behalf of the consumer as to what they are buying from Amazon.com. Thank you for listening to what I have had to say, I hope you make the right business decision regarding this matter.

[email protected]

Last edited by kindofblue325; 03-23-02 at 02:45 AM.
Old 03-23-02, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Amazon's specs were frequently unreliable. DVDEmpire.com does a much better job of showing specs/features and even includes front and back box cover art pics.
Old 03-23-02, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Foole
Amazon's specs were frequently unreliable. DVDEmpire.com does a much better job of showing specs/features and even includes front and back box cover art pics.
They have much better customer service and usually lower prices, too.
Old 03-23-02, 03:27 AM

Originally posted by Mr. Salty

They have much better customer service and usually lower prices, too.
Indeed. While I like Amazon and they sell just about everything, DVDEmpire gets the bulk of my DVD purchases for all of the above reasons.

(And no I don't work for them...:P )
Old 03-23-02, 03:29 AM

Why not try Widescreen Review magazine. They have a website page to subscribe to.
I decide DVD buys from reviewing their recommendations from the hardcopy magazine
though not their website.

Just a suggestion
Old 03-23-02, 04:34 AM
Uber Member

How many and what discs did you check? I just looked at Sexy Beast, Harry Potter, Training Day and Close Encounters and they all have a features list.

Also, this really belongs in the Store forum, so moving thread.
Old 03-23-02, 12:45 PM

Re: Amazon.com not posting info for DVD's anymore.

Originally posted by kindofblue325
Tonight, I checked Amazon.com to check out the special features of a couple discs and it turned out that Amazon has deleted all of the information for their DVD's.
Amazon has been cleaning up their listings of video titles in both the VHS and DVD selections. Certain out of print or obsolete titles have been removed and moved out of the main Amazon categories and into the zShop area as those sellers are best suited to providing and supporting such titles. Of course, those zShop entries are not supported by Amazon as they are provided by independent stores; if you like the support of independent stores vs a conglomerate such as Amazon, then more power to you. Some items that i had provided reviews for at Amazon no longer exist after they were moved to zShops, so that is how i know of this.... *sigh*
Old 03-23-02, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 853 Posts
I've tried Amazon a few times to find out information regarding DVD features. It has been my experience that their site is pretty much a farce when it comes to valuable information. It's a shame, you'd think that one of the industry leaders would be a little better. Anymore, I read what's going on here, then I go to the store and pick it up in my hands to check features.
Old 03-24-02, 11:33 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Mr. Salty

They (DVD Empire) have much better customer service and usually lower prices (than Amazon), too.
While I agree that Amazon is pretty expensive, they do have a great selection and have great customer service. I have been ripped off by both little and big retailers on the net. I am willing to pay a little extra for the incredible convience that Amazon provides

I have purchased nearly 30 DVDs from amazon (plus a couple books and CDs). Every one of them shipped the day I ordered it and was here (Wichita Kansas) within two days.

The one time I recieved a cracked dvd from Amazon: I went to the site, entered the information and I had the replacement in about 36 hours along with a postage paid return label for the damaged one. I doubt that I would have replaced it that quickly if I had bought it at a REAL B&M store. It sure was a hell of a lot less hastle to return a disc to Amazon than it is to return merchandise to stores like wal mart where you wait in line with lots of screaming children and trailer trash.

My two cents.

Jeff