Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

White Stripes [discussions]

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

White Stripes [discussions]

Old 03-22-02, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White Stripes

... anyone else currently listening to them, except me? Any thoughts?
Old 03-22-02, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've downloaded a couple of songs. It doesn't sound bad. I don't know if I could take a whole album of it though.
Old 03-22-02, 01:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I got White Blood Cells a month or two ago. It's really good, but I only find myself listening to the first half or so most of the time.

Probably one of the better new rock bands out there.

I think they were on Letterman this past Monday. Anyone see it? How were they live? What did they play?
Old 03-22-02, 02:19 PM

Originally posted by Applejack
Probably one of the better new rock bands out there.
Ditto. I'm looking forward to seeing them in a couple of weeks @ the Bowery Ballroom in NYC.
Old 03-22-02, 02:23 PM

I like the White Stripes a lot. Their self-titled debut is my favorite, then De Stijl, then White Blood Cells. Cells was a bit of a surprise. It built on some of the pop-style hinted at in De Stijl. It's just my own preference for the blues, soul, and country influences apparent in their earlier stuff but a bit more buried in White Blood Cells. The Detroit influence is still obvious (Hotel Yorba).

Their shows still tear. I've seen them 3 times and Jack has never been a let-down (when he busts out his slide guitar it seems like he's going to explode). Meg always has this distant enigmatic smile on her face. See 'em while they still play the smaller clubs where you can get up close. They are getting big (the 3rd show I saw, when WBC came out, they had roadies for the first time).

That they didn't sign with a major label for Cells showed some good sense. I'm just afraid that if (or when) they do go major we'll be witness to a hype campaign similar to The Strokes (a good band, but the saviors of rock 'n roll? I'm sorry but no marketing department will decide that). Jack and Meg seem content to keep on keepin' on. They've got a couple of singles and videos out (the new one for "Fell in Love with a Girl" is really cool). It will be interesting to see where the White Stripes go from here.
Old 03-22-02, 02:45 PM

I just got finished listening to the songs that I have downloaded. I like them but I just need some bass guitar in my music.
Old 03-22-02, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by sundog
That they didn't sign with a major label for Cells showed some good sense. I'm just afraid that if (or when) they do go major we'll be witness to a hype campaign similar to The Strokes (a good band, but the saviors of rock 'n roll? I'm sorry but no marketing department will decide that). Jack and Meg seem content to keep on keepin' on. They've got a couple of singles and videos out (the new one for "Fell in Love with a Girl" is really cool). It will be interesting to see where the White Stripes go from here.
Actually, they have signed with V2 who rereleased Cells. Sympathy for the Record Industry doesn't have them anymore. Since they signed with V2 they have been selling about 6,000 copies a week. Which isn't bad at all.

The fact that they sold out four straight nights at the Bowery Ballroom (which holds maybe 1000? pure guess) two months ahead of time says a lot. They're huge here. I'm happy for them. Jack's very down to earth, very sweet.
Old 03-22-02, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Yancey

Actually, they have signed with V2 who rereleased Cells. Sympathy for the Record Industry doesn't have them anymore. Since they signed with V2 they have been selling about 6,000 copies a week. Which isn't bad at all.

The fact that they sold out four straight nights at the Bowery Ballroom (which holds maybe 1000? pure guess) two months ahead of time says a lot. They're huge here. I'm happy for them. Jack's very down to earth, very sweet.
Yeah, they are on the radio in Dallas now.
Old 03-22-02, 07:05 PM
Banned

I saw White Stripes twice in concert years ago when they opened for Sleater-Kinney. I remember buying their first CD before anybody knew who the hell they were. Kinda weird that theyre finally getting air time after three albums. What I've noticed is the sound of the White Stripes have completely changed. The last album 'White Blood Cells' sounds way too commercialized compared to 'De Stijl'. Other thing, Meg White is so much hotter in person.
Old 03-23-02, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by zak52
I just got finished listening to the songs that I have downloaded. I like them but I just need some bass guitar in my music.
You suggesting they get another member? I mean to make it a brother sister group and have it stay that way there mom's gonna have some work to do
Old 03-23-02, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They sound decent, but my god the video for the single is one of the coolest I have ever seen. The whole thing is acted out with LEGOS. LEGOs were the only toys I had as a kid really hehe...
Old 03-23-02, 02:06 AM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton

You suggesting they get another member? I mean to make it a brother sister group and have it stay that way there mom's gonna have some work to do
I thought they were ex-husband and wife?
Old 03-23-02, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by greeny

I thought they were ex-husband and wife?
nope, brohter- sister group
Old 03-23-02, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There were a lot of rumors in the British and U.S. tabloids and papers that they were married and when the ended it they decided to say publicly that they are brother and sister.

I don't know what the truth is but I met both of them separately at a show last summer and they do look passable as brother and sister.

I talked to Meg for 10 or 15 minutes and she's lovely. It was really hot and we were standing at the front of this tiny club with nothing to do because Jack was across town seeing Apoc Redux and it ended about 45 minutes after they were supposed to start their set. Late night it was.

I met him in the rain after the show and he is definitely into some drugs because he was strange for a bit. Plus he hid out in their van just staring at us for about 40 minutes. Hell they're were just me and three girls.......maybe two more people.

Anyway, they blew the roof off the place especially when they played songs from their first and roughest album.

Check out the video for "Fell In Love With A Girl" it's made out of Lego's or some *****.
Old 03-23-02, 09:08 AM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton

I would suggest adoption or they could go the Local H rout and put bass pickups in their guitar.

Last edited by zak52; 03-23-02 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-25-02, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just got it last week. Not quite on par with The Strokes, but quite good all the same.
Old 06-07-02, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Somebody explain The White Stripes to me

So I'm watching the MTV Movie Awards last night and The White Stripes came on. I sat there watching, hoping to gain some insight into why every member of the media has talked non-stop about these two for the last year. I've heard a couple of their songs and just can't get what all the ballyhoo is for. To my ears, they just sound like those kids we went to high school with who decide one day to start a band and write some songs, but never quite build their skills beyond that.

I'm really trying to see something there, rather than dismissing them out of hand. It's not just a taste thing, because I kind of see where they're going and I like the style, But I'm not impressed with their treatment of it at all. Can anyone tell me what all the fuss is about?
Old 06-07-02, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can't understand what they are saying..

And I listen to rap music.
Old 06-07-02, 08:13 AM
Banned

I saw the White Stripes live three years ago before they got famous. Theyve got that old school punk rock sound. Its refreshing to hear after all the bulls**t MTV play. Listen to their debut album. Its so damn good.
Old 06-07-02, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I came home from work last night and my wife was watching the MTV show. Without a doubt, that was one of the coolest things I have seen on MTV in YEARS. Freakin' YEARS. With all this awful new-metal flooding the airwaves, it's such a huge refreshing thing to witness that. Kudos to MTV for putting that band on their show.
Old 06-07-02, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

But is it just a wish for something, anything, different than the Linkin Park/Korn/Limp Bizkit stuff that's out there? That's pretty much the only reason I ever hear is that it's a change from what's hot right now. What is it about the music that makes them stand out and is it just derivative of a sound that's already been done?
Old 06-07-02, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
It's a throwback to oldschool 70's punk, when it was about the music, not the business. And yes, the fact that it's different than the nu metal crap that is so popular now, makes it all the more fun.

The White Stripes
...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead
The Hives

Thumbs up to all of them.
Old 06-07-02, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

But is it just a wish for something, anything, different than the Linkin Park/Korn/Limp Bizkit stuff that's out there?
Partly. But also what I saw last night was cool. I didn't feel like I was seeing something I have never seen before, but it was good. There are a million great bands out there who might not be hyper-original, but I seem to keep hearing the crap stuff on the radio AND on TV. When a good band bursts on TV like that it's like a breath of fresh air. Anyway, it's all taste, huh? I just happen to like taught, no-frills rock with a garage band 60's sound... punked up. That's what I saw last night. And it's way more fun than what I hear on the radio. This is going to sound weird, but when I hear Nickelback I feel like I'm hearing some sappy 70's lite-rock as bad as Barry Manilow or Gino Vanelli. I'm serious. Lame. The Strokes and the White Stripes kick some fun back in it for me.
Old 06-07-02, 11:32 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They are brother and sister correct?
Old 06-07-02, 11:37 AM

No they are ex-husband and wife. The brother and sister thing is a story that Jack and Meg made up.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.