Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Rush: Chronicles DVD-PCM problem?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-02, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got the RUSH Chronicles DVD and I can only play the Dolby 2.0 track. (No 5.1 even tho' the box says Dolby Digital.) When I select the PCM track, no sound is heard. (I can play PCM tracks on other music DVDs just fine.) Is mine defective, or is this a known problem? Thanks in advance for any replies!
Old 03-20-02, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I read this at work and you got me thinking, I could not wait till I got home to test it out. I can hear both audio tracks fine from my DVD player. I would try it on a different DVD player and see if it works, if not you could send it back. However Dolby Digital does sound better than PCM, at least in my opinion. Hope this helps

Side note: My friend has ownded this DVD for 5 months and he still has not found the hidden videos.
Old 03-20-02, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Rush: Chronicles DVD-PCM problem?

Originally posted by BassDude
Just got the RUSH Chronicles DVD and I can only play the Dolby 2.0 track. (No 5.1 even tho' the box says Dolby Digital.)
Actually it is Dolby Digital. Dolby Digital can be 1.0-5.1 if you get what I am saying. Dolby Digital doesn't mean 5.1 all the time, just that it is in the Dolby Digital format, and it can have 1-5.1 channels of audio. Besides, you wouldn't want some half assed remixed 5.1 of the greatest band to grace our planet.

As far as the PCM issue goes what equipment are you using. You said that that PCM on other discs work right? I was thinking it could be a setting in your dvd player.
Old 03-20-02, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the replies!

I have a Toshiba 2109 going into a SONY STR DE-545 via Monster Cable coax (no fiber optic on Toshiba) with JBL's all around. I was really looking forward to some digital, uncompressed RUSH audio! Instead, I got analog Dolby 2.0 and no PCM.

I just retested another title and the PCM track played just fine, so it's not a player-setting issue. Also, my SONY has a blue light that lights up when it is receiving a digital signal. Citizen Kane is Dolby Digital mono, but the blue light just shines as bright as my DTS and 5.1 tracks. The light never illuminates with the RUSH DVD, leading me to believe it is not a Dolby Digital (1.0, 2.0, 5.1) track at all.

I agree...I wouldn't want a thrown together 5.1 remix, but as a Geddy Lee fan (see my nick) I was hoping to hear his thundering lines in all their digital glory! As it is, the regular CDs sound as good. (But the pictures on the CD cover don't move.)
Old 03-20-02, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by BassDude
Also, my SONY has a blue light that lights up when it is receiving a digital signal. Citizen Kane is Dolby Digital mono, but the blue light just shines as bright as my DTS and 5.1 tracks. The light never illuminates with the RUSH DVD, leading me to believe it is not a Dolby Digital (1.0, 2.0, 5.1) track at all.

Hmmm....

I will put my disc in tonight when I get home from work and see what happens. I have a Sony STR DE 845, it has the same blue light you are talking about.

This may sound like a silly question, but what does the reciever actually say when you play the disc, does it say DD 2.0?

I am thinking that maybe you are playing the PCM cause the blue light of doom isn't lighting up.

Anyway I am going to mess around with the disc when I get home tonight.
Old 03-20-02, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah ha!!! I think I know why you are not getting PCM. Can the coax input on the STR DE 545 handle a PCM stream at 48khz, because the PCM on the chronicles dvd is not 44.1, it is 48 instead. If the coax input on your reciever can't handle anything above 44.1 then that is the problem

My 845 can handle 44.1, 48, and 96 only on the dvd coax/toslink input. It can only do 44.1 on the other inputs.

Check out what your manual says and let me know.
Old 03-21-02, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"Check out the big brain on Brad..."

Thanks KnightLerxst...I think that may have been a part of the problem. I went into my setup on DVD Player and the output for PCM showed analog. I assume the other DVD that I was able to play the PCM track on was set to the 'CD setting' of 44.1 and was able to travel along my analog outputs, but the 48 could not.

I changed the PCM output to PCM and the room filled with the trio's sound! Thanks again for your replies!

Now if I can just get past Alex's "Flock of Seagulls-ish" haircut in the Subdivisions video...