Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Upgrading my HT: Phase 1 - Receivers

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-02, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My plan is to upgrade a component of my HT every couple months until I have a full blown HT system. The TV and speakers will have to wait until I move into a house (at least 1-2 years away). I don't want to get booted from my apartment before then.

Anyway, here is my current setup:

TV: Panasonic 27"
    DVD: Panasonic A-110 (next on upgrade list)
    Receiver: Sony STR-945
    Speakers:
      Front/Rear: Definitive ProCinema 200
      Center: Definitive ProCenter 100
      Sub: Definitive ProSub 200TL

I got the Sony STR-945 cheap when it first came out 4-5 years ago because I caught CameraWorld.com selling it mispriced. They honored the price and I never looked for another receiver until now. What are good receivers on the market now? Anyone have any good recommendations or brands I should stay away from? I'm not loyal to anyone (especially Sony) so I am open for anything. As for a budget, I won't shy away from high-end components as long as they add value above lesser priced receiver with the same functionality. I know that is vague but for those of you who would like a number, let's say: $1000 Thanks.
Old 03-19-02, 10:56 AM
Sn0
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would look at Onkyo, Denon, and Yamaha they each have a reciever to add into your specific price range and are all excellent products. I would recommend though waiting a month or so until their new lines come out, then you can either pick up a new model or get a great deal on a close out.
Old 03-19-02, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

in addition to those listed by sn0, I'll add Marantz and Outlaw receivers to the list of ones you should look into.

At $1000, there are quite a few very high quality pieces out there.

Another option: You're getting pretty close to the realm of separates at $1000. Have you considered going that route?
Old 03-19-02, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by edclem
in addition to those listed by sn0, I'll add Marantz and Outlaw receivers to the list of ones you should look into.

At $1000, there are quite a few very high quality pieces out there.

Another option: You're getting pretty close to the realm of separates at $1000. Have you considered going that route?
I am not familiar with separates. Is that when people have a pre-amp, an amp and a receiver? What benefits do I gain that a stand-alone receiver would not provide?
Old 03-19-02, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's a separate amp and pre-amp (which may or may not contain a tuner for radio reception)

The biggest benefit to going with separates is that the signal paths (processing/amplification) are completely separated from one another physically. Therefore there's less chance of interference, and generally better sound quality.

Also, for the most part, the components in separates are of better build quality than their all in one receiver counterparts.
There are (of course) exceptions to this, but in general, the higher you go in the audiophile food chain, the more likely you are to use separates.
Old 03-19-02, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by edclem

Also, for the most part, the components in separates are of better build quality than their all in one receiver counterparts.
There are (of course) exceptions to this, but in general, the higher you go in the audiophile food chain, the more likely you are to use separates.

Where do people shop for these components and which are good/reliable brands that I can research? Thanks.
Old 03-19-02, 12:56 PM
Sn0
DVD Talk Special Edition

first you could try hometheaterfourm there are alot of people there and most way into home theater. I would suggest not going into seperates at this point in the game just go with a good reciever with pre outs all of them in your price range should have them. Then when you get some spare change upgrade the amps then when more cash hits by a processor. A good processor is going to run you your full budget plus. Amps make the single biggest difference so I would start there after you have a reciever.
Old 03-19-02, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Sn0
first you could try hometheaterfourm there are alot of people there and most way into home theater. I would suggest not going into seperates at this point in the game just go with a good reciever with pre outs all of them in your price range should have them. Then when you get some spare change upgrade the amps then when more cash hits by a processor. A good processor is going to run you your full budget plus. Amps make the single biggest difference so I would start there after you have a reciever.
Thanks for the advise. I am going to look into the brands you and others listed above for a receiver. Does anyone have any specific models they enjoy? Also has anyone used the Pioneer Elite brand or heard anything about them?
Old 03-19-02, 03:10 PM
Banned

Look at Denon, Onkyo, and Marantz. All of these companies make models in your price range. I have also heard some good things about Harmen Kardon if the first 3 don't tickle your fancy. Another thing you might want to do is go to Crutchfield and compare the models you are interested in to see the advantages of each one. They don't have everything, but they have a lot.
Old 03-19-02, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Upgrading my HT: Phase 1 - Receivers

Originally posted by yashan
My plan is to upgrade a component of my HT every couple months until I have a full blown HT system. The TV and speakers will have to wait until I move into a house (at least 1-2 years away). I don't want to get booted from my apartment before then.

Anyway, here is my current setup:

TV: Panasonic 27"
    DVD: Panasonic A-110 (next on upgrade list)
    Receiver: Sony STR-945
    Speakers:
      Front/Rear: Definitive ProCinema 200
      Center: Definitive ProCenter 100
      Sub: Definitive ProSub 200TL

I got the Sony STR-945 cheap when it first came out 4-5 years ago because I caught CameraWorld.com selling it mispriced. They honored the price and I never looked for another receiver until now. What are good receivers on the market now? Anyone have any good recommendations or brands I should stay away from? I'm not loyal to anyone (especially Sony) so I am open for anything. As for a budget, I won't shy away from high-end components as long as they add value above lesser priced receiver with the same functionality. I know that is vague but for those of you who would like a number, let's say: $1000 Thanks.
You may not like my advice but here goes.

1-2 years is an eternity in the lifetime of an electronic component. You have no idea what your room will look like in your new house either.

IMHO, keep what you have, save your money, watch and learn about all the latest items and be ready when your new house/room are available.
Old 03-19-02, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: Upgrading my HT: Phase 1 - Receivers

Originally posted by Brian Shannon

You may not like my advice but here goes.

1-2 years is an eternity in the lifetime of an electronic component. You have no idea what your room will look like in your new house either.

IMHO, keep what you have, save your money, watch and learn about all the latest items and be ready when your new house/room are available.
I am continuously battling this in my head. I've got money saved up for a widescreen TV and it is burning a hole in my pocket because I want to wait until I leave my apartment.

The only reason I wanted a new receiver is that my current one is damaged and won't put out sound on the center channel. I figured I would upgrade that now instead of getting it repaired and then upgrade my DVD player at the end of this year.

I've learned that you guys know much more than I do so all advice/opinions are equally considered and valued. Thanks.
Old 03-19-02, 05:38 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Upgrading my HT: Phase 1 - Receivers

Originally posted by yashan

I am continuously battling this in my head. I've got money saved up for a widescreen TV and it is burning a hole in my pocket because I want to wait until I leave my apartment.

The only reason I wanted a new receiver is that my current one is damaged and won't put out sound on the center channel. I figured I would upgrade that now instead of getting it repaired and then upgrade my DVD player at the end of this year.

I've learned that you guys know much more than I do so all advice/opinions are equally considered and valued. Thanks.
Well, if money is burning a hole in your pocket, you might want to consider the Denon. They do have upgrade kits available, so if your receiver is obsolete you can upgrade, but I'm not sure on how easy this is to do, or even how cost effective it is. I am interested in this as well, so if anyone has upgaded a Denon, please post about your experiences.
Old 03-19-02, 06:43 PM

One thing you may want to consider is going with something reasonably low or mid priced with pre-outs. This way you can add a nice big amp in the future. Something like the H/K AVR320 or AVR520 has 7.1 preouts, great sound, and Logic7 for nondigital sources.