Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

37th annual Academy of Country Music (ACM) Awards thread

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: Who's gonna win Song of the year?
"Angels in Waiting" Tammy Cochran
0%
"I Wanna Talk About Me" Toby Keith
0%
"One More Day" Diamond Rio
0%
"Only in America" Brooks & Dunn
0%
"Where Were You (When the World Stopped Turning)" Alan Jackson
100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

37th annual Academy of Country Music (ACM) Awards thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-02, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Award show was May 22. Here's a complete list of ACM nominees & winners:

Pioneer Award: Ronnie Milsap
"God bless you. Thank you so much. Somewhere around 30 years ago, I met Charley Pride in Los Angeles, and he said 'Come to Nashville!' I certainly appreciate that. So many people have been responsible for making this happen. ... Thank you. " - Ronnie Milsap
<HR>
Home Depot Humanitarian Award: Reba McEntire
"Thank you so very much. I know you've all heard this saying even when we were little ole kids, 'It's better to give than receive.' When I was I kid I didn't believe that for a second. But the older I got I realized that is the greatest lesson we could all learn is to give." - Reba McEntire
<HR>
Entertainer of the year: Brooks & Dunn
"We got a bubble blowing goat, we got a guy who crawls through a toilet seat, we got the most beautiful wives in the world, we got wonderful, healthy children and we live in the greatest country in the world. Thank you." - Ronnie Dunn

"To you fans, you just can't image the reward this is for y'all. Playing for y'all is reward enough, but this is incredible. Thank you very, very much. " - Kix Brooks
<HR>
Top Female Vocalist of the Year: Martina McBride
"Oh my goodness. ... I want to thank country radio and CMT for bringing my music to the fans. ... There is a woman who has set the standard for all of us females in country music. She's a friend, a mentor, an incredible example and an inspiration to all of us. Of course I am talking about Reba McEntire. I just want to say, 'Thank you, Reba, and I'm taking this home in your honor.'" - Martina McBride
<HR>
Top Male Vocalist of the Year: Alan Jackson
"Thank you. I thought I was past this already, but I really appreciate everybody including me in this. There are some great singers out there. I'm just glad I wasn't in Martina's [McBride] category." - Alan Jackson
<HR>
Vocal Duo of the Year: Brooks & Dunn
"We are so proud to be here after this many years, and you guys still, every now and then, throw us a trinket. Thank you very much." - Ronnie Dunn
<HR>
Vocal Group of the Year: Lonestar
"Thanks to my brothers in crime ... We started this whole journey about 10 years ago and to have it come to this is pretty awesome. " - Dean Sams
<HR>
Top New Female Vocalist of the Year: Carolyn Dawn Johnson
"This is really beautiful. Thank you so much. ... Thank you mom and dad, happy anniversary today. ... You girls in the category with me, you deserve it just as much." - Carolyn Dawn Johnson
<HR>
Top New Male Vocalist of the Year: Phil Vassar
"Thank you guys so much. Thank you country radio and Arista. ... Haley, I love you so much. JuJu, I love you so much. My family, mom and my sisters, I love you guys. Thank you so much." - Phil Vassar
<HR>
Top New Vocal Duo or Group of the Year: Trick Pony
"Alright! Oh, what a special night out here. ... I got my momma out here, she flew all the way from Atlanta. She's probably wetting her pants right now." - Keith Burns

"I want to thank Tanya Tucker for firing me in 1996." - Ira Dean
<HR>
Album of the year (award to producer(s)/artist/record company):
"O Brother, Where Art Thou?" (T-Bone Burnett/various/Lost Highway)
"T Bone Burnett is in the studio this week. We accept this award on his behalf, and he can pick it up at the house." - Marty Roe of Diamond Rio
<HR>
Single record of the year (award to producer(s)/artist/record company):
"Where Were You (When the World Stopped Turning)" (Keith Stegall/Alan Jackson/Arista Nashville)
"I don't know what else to say, other than to thank my wife Denise for encouraging me to record this song ..." - Alan Jackson

"It's an honor to be associated with Alan Jackson. He is every producer's dream." - Keith Stegall
<HR>
Song of the year (award to composer(s)/publisher(s)/artist):
"Where Were You (When the World Stopped Turning)" (Alan Jackson/EMI April, Tri-Angels (ASCAP)/Alan Jackson)
"Thank y'all. I don't feel like I can accept this award for this song without sharing it with and dedicating to the thousands of people, men, woman and children who died and suffer." - Alan Jackson
<HR>
Video of the year (award to producer(s)/director(s)/artist):
"Only in America" (Stephanie Reeves/Michael Merriman/Brooks & Dunn)

"Thank you very much, it was a big surprise. We weren't expecting this." - Kix Brooks

Thanks first of all to Kix and Ronnie, great song, great performance. -- Michael Merriman
<HR>
Vocal Event of the Year (award to artist/producer):
"I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow" (Soggy Bottom Boys/T-Bone Burnett)
"They don't need no more, so I'm going to give it to Tara Lipinski." - Trace Adkins
<HR>
Bassist of the year: Michael Rhodes
Fiddler of the year: Stuart Duncan
Drummer of the year: Eddie Bayers
Steel guitarist of the year: Paul Franklin
Guitarist of the year: Jimmy Olander
Keyboardist of the year: John Hobbs
Specialty instrumentalist of the year: Jerry Douglas, dobro

Some of this years WINNERS:

Last edited by bigjim25; 05-23-02 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-23-02, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

PERFORMERS:

Old 05-23-02, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no Jo Dee Messina pic????
Old 05-25-02, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Phil Vassar should not have won for best new artist. Clearly Chris Cagle has had more radio hits, a larger fan base and more name recognition than Phil Vassar. Plus Cagle has toured more in support of his cd than Vassar. This was a rip!
Old 05-25-02, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by POWERBOMB
Phil Vassar should not have won for best new artist. Clearly Chris Cagle has had more radio hits, a larger fan base and more name recognition than Phil Vassar. Plus Cagle has toured more in support of his cd than Vassar. This was a rip!
Also I don't think you could consider Vassar a new artist really. He has been writing hit song for other artists for years. There seem to be a lot of these behind the scenes songwriters going on there own lately.
Old 05-25-02, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I'll consider the guy a new artist. Just cause he wrote songs for other people only puts him in the songwriter's category. But if this is his first cd, then he is a new artist. However, some artist seem to make the new artist category for several years in a row. I remember Trisha Yearwood was in that category 3 years straight.