Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Info on HTPC??

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-02, 02:48 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Info on HTPC??

I was just wondering if anyone could point me towards info on HTPC's. I want to incorporate a computer into my Home Theatre. I plan to grab a Haupauge WinTV-HD card to act as my HD decoder, which for around 400 bucks is still cheaper then most set-top boxes. I was also wondering if I would be able to get rid of my dvd player and use a card that will out put dvds and still give me the quality of a standalone progressive scan dvd player. If anyone knows of a forum or site that deals with this, or if you have any personal experience with it, please let me know.

Thanks
Sak
Old 03-15-02, 03:10 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
I've done that, although I haven't added the HDTV tuner yet. You certainly can get rid of a standalone player and have great progressive output. It's not very hard -- now that I know what I'm doing!

Get a quiet DVD-ROM that can be flashed to regionless (Pioneer 106 or Toshiba [don't know models]). Earlier models of those drives, if you can find them, are desirable for their quietness and region-free ability too. The best card for DVD playback right now is probably the ATI 7500 and it also has dual-monitor support. Add a good TV tuner card like the Pinnacle Studio PCTV Pro and free software like DScaler (excellent TV software that outputs non-interlaced video) and YXY (aspect ratio controller), and inexpensive software WinDVD or PowerDVD (DVD players), or maybe use the ATI player that comes with the ATI card, and PowerStrip (custom video resolution and timings) and you're in business.

Depending on your TV you may need a transcoder to convert the VGA to component or just a VGA or BNC cables. And of course you'll end up wanting a big hard drive to timeshift that HDTV. I'd check into whether you want the Hauppauge card or a HiPix, I believe each has its plusses and minuses. And a wireless keyboard and mouse is nice too.

I got my start here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...?s=&forumid=26
Old 03-15-02, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey X, would a Radeon 7500 All in Wonder, instead of the regular Radeon 7500, alleviate the need for the Pinnacle Studio PCTV Pro? Also, what do TV specs call the ability to accept VGA signal? Does it just say in the specs, "2 component, 2 S-video, 2 composite, and 1 VGA input", or something like that, or is it called something else?

Thanks
Old 03-15-02, 07:01 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally posted by RalphWiggum
Hey X, would a Radeon 7500 All in Wonder, instead of the regular Radeon 7500, alleviate the need for the Pinnacle Studio PCTV Pro? Also, what do TV specs call the ability to accept VGA signal? Does it just say in the specs, "2 component, 2 S-video, 2 composite, and 1 VGA input", or something like that, or is it called something else?
I guess if you do not have another slot you could go the AIW route, but I prefer being able to find a tuner card I like and then swap out my video card as I want. I now have a GeForce2, I'm going to get a 7500. I don't have to change the tuner or the apps that work well with it to do that and I'll only have to spend about $80, not the almost $100 more of the AIW. And I read the AIW does not work with DScaler.

As for the VGA in, they are different for different sets, even when the manufacturer specifies as you stated. I have a Pioneer Elite which accepts a pretty wide range of VGA resolutions, for instance 1920x540, 1440x540, and 920x500. I've heard that Mits sets only accept 640x480, at least they did in previous years. It was like pulling teeth trying to find out from Pioneer what the VGA was capable of before I got it. They don't want you to use a computer on it, it's for HDTV input. So at least that was a hint of its capability.