Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Beach Boys "Smile" question

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 03-13-02, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brother wants to pick up the legendary unreleased "Smile" album on CD. He's seen copies on Ebay that at least give the impression that they're legitimate releases, but has this ever come out anywhere in the world officially? Are the copies he's seeing all bootlegs? Any info would help.
Old 03-13-02, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It has never been released officially. It is possible to piece it together through official releases, however. Some tracks appear on Smiley Smile and others are on the Good Vibrations box set. The February issue of Mojo details how to do this.

The bootlegs are of very high quality though. I purchased one here in NY a couple years ago and it is wonderful. I always assumed this album recieved hype just because it was "lost," not because of its quality. But it is fantastic, it definitely rivals Pet Sounds.

I would say to pick up a bootleg. But you shouldn't have to pay more than $20.
Old 03-13-02, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wasn't most, if not all of Smile released with the Beach Boys box set?

I think its only parts of Smile. hmm

Editorial Reviews
Amazon.com essential recording
From "Surfin'" to "Kokomo," the first four discs of this box chart the Beach Boys' inimitable 30-year course. Here are all the hits and key album tracks, and an assortment of unreleased material that illuminates Brian Wilson and company's immense contribution to the development of pop music. (Especially fascinating are the assembled fragments from Wilson's abandoned 1966 masterwork, Smile.) A fifth disc features demos, radio spots, live tracks, and studio goodies for the hardcore fan. The set confirms Brian's hardworking genius, but also gives each member his due, especially the late Carl Wilson. Rock & roll music grew up with the Beach Boys, and this box is rock's best family album. --Ben Edmonds
Old 03-14-02, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone know where I can pick up a copy of "Smile" for a reasonable price? The Ebay copies seem to be going too high.
Old 03-14-02, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by anglagard
Anyone know where I can pick up a copy of "Smile" for a reasonable price? The Ebay copies seem to be going too high.
I'm not sure. I know here in NYC you can get it for about $20. Do some google searches, I guess. It can be had for a good price, but I have no idea where online you can get cheap boots.