Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Meet the Beatles cd on Ebay

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-02, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1517997804

Is this a bootleg? Is the sound quality good? The reason I ask is because it's never been on cd here in the U.S. and I've always wanted it in its original form.

Thanks...
Old 03-12-02, 06:50 PM

It is not an official release (Disc is silver is a dead giveaway) but all the songs are available on various official albums so paying anything more than about $2 for this item is a waste.

Terry
Old 03-12-02, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by redhenry
It is not an official release (Disc is silver is a dead giveaway) but all the songs are available on various official albums so paying anything more than about $2 for this item is a waste.

Terry
Yeah, but the selling point I think is not the track order or the cover, but that the songs are in stereo. The first 4 Beatles albums & half of Past Masters Vol. 1 have only been released in mono on cd.

I've spent some time trying to download the stereo versions for my dad - because that's how he remembers them. The quality is not always great, but I've been able to find almost everything. A Taste of Honey stands out as 1 I could never find...
Old 03-19-02, 12:23 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lokimok
[B]

Yeah, but the selling point I think is not the track order or the cover, but that the songs are in stereo. The first 4 Beatles albums & half of Past Masters Vol. 1 have only been released in mono on cd.
I am pretty sure they are available as stereo versions on the red and blue double CD sets released originally in the 70s???

Either way they were ORIGINALLY released in mono when they were first released back in the 60s which is why the first 4 Beatle CD albums are in mono...they were released on vinyl in mono.

Terry
Old 03-19-02, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Only a handful of their early songs were mixed in true stereo, not that electronically created kind that Capitol Records used back in the day. Some songs like "Please Please Me" used different takes to create the stereo mix, and it's this version that has Lennon fluffing the lyrics and almost laughing as he continues to sing.
Old 03-19-02, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
[QUOTE]Originally posted by redhenry
[B]
Originally posted by Lokimok

I am pretty sure they are available as stereo versions on the red and blue double CD sets released originally in the 70s???

Either way they were ORIGINALLY released in mono when they were first released back in the 60s which is why the first 4 Beatle CD albums are in mono...they were released on vinyl in mono.

Terry
I'm not an expert, but I do know that the A Hard Day's Night & Beatles For Sale songs were released in stereo in the US. The frst US Beatles album was originally released in both a stereo & mono version. I assumed this was true of Meet The Beatles as well, but I'm not sure. The red double album may include some stereo mixes (I've never heard it), but certainly not all that exist. I don't know how things were realeased in Australia, but many US releases were very different to the UK versions.
Old 03-19-02, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by Lokimok

I don't know how things were realeased in Australia, but many US releases were very different to the UK versions.
Good point. I am pretty sure in Australia (not being born at the time) that we got the English versions of the albums, and yes, the States usually got very different releases to England (and presumably Australia).

Terry