Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

WalMart Price Error Policy

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 03-11-02, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was in WalMart today and saw a "Princess Bride" Special Edition in a display slot marked $14.44. When I took it to the clerk in the electronics department, it rang up at $21.44. I pointed the display out to him, he changed the price to $14.44 and gave me an extra $3 discount, telling me it was WalMart's policy when a price in the computer didn't match the one on the shelf. I had never heard of this before, so keep it in mind if you are shopping at WM and the price on the shelf doesn't match the price in the computer.
Old 03-12-02, 01:25 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the head up.

Btw, that's a good deal you got there
Old 03-12-02, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ah, yes, the Wal-Mart pricing gaurantee. If the item rings up higher than the price shown on the shelf, you get it for free if under $3, or you get $3 off if it is over $3. First item, of course (thus you can't take up five of the same item and get $3 off of all five of them).

I use this all of the time, it pays to memorize prices (or write them down) as you shop there. Most of the time you have to remind them of the policy, though, you had a very friendly cashier.

If you have a supermarket named "Cub Foods", they will give you an item free up to $10 if it rings up wrong, or $10 off if the item costs more than $10. Jewel (supermarket) and, I believe, Osco (a drugstore) also have a correct price gaurantee ($5 max?).
Old 03-12-02, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 853 Posts
I had heard of this policy, but did not know that Walmart did it! Damnit, I just picked up MASH a few weeks ago and it was marked $14.44 on the shelf and came up $19.94. They did not offer me an additional $3.
Old 03-12-02, 04:24 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
What happens if a brand new DVD player somehow "accidentally" gets the $14.44 sticker from a DVD stuck to it?
Old 03-13-02, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
What happens if a brand new DVD player somehow "accidentally" gets the $14.44 sticker from a DVD stuck to it?
They probably haul the person's a$$ into the back and call the cops. It's called fraud or intent to defraud.
Old 03-13-02, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Abob Teff
...They did not offer me an additional $3.
They usually don't do it automatically, you have to say something like "and with Wal-Marts pricing gaurantee, don't I get an extra $3 off?"

When in the store, look at the signs hanging around the cash registers, on a few of them is the policy (it's a blue and white sign), you could always point to that when you remind them about the policy.

By the way, the price difference doesn't need to be significant. If it rings up $0.05 too high, take it to the service desk and get $3.05 back (unless the item is under $3, in which case you will "just" get the item for free).

Abob Teff, when grocery shopping, remember that Cubs and Jewel also have the same policy.
Old 03-13-02, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 853 Posts
Thanks Heat! I wonder if I dig out my receipt if I can go back and get the $3?