Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Which TV to choose, Sony WEGA or a rear projection widescreen?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 03-09-02, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you guys think is the better value? The rear projection is HDTV(looking at the Sony KP43HT20 for 1999, or the Toshiba 42H81 for 2199) and I have digital cable. The Wega is also 2199 and is the KV36HS20. As you guys could probably tell from my questions I am trying to do a lot of research as I am very new to all of this and have already learned a lot of stuff. Any suggestions?
Old 03-09-02, 10:08 PM
Banned

If you are looking at Projection TVs, look at Mitsubishi, they make some great TVs.
Old 03-09-02, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Which TV to choose, Sony WEGA or a rear projection widescreen?

Originally posted by Homer J Simpson
What do you guys think is the better value? The rear projection is HDTV(looking at the Sony KP43HT20 for 1999, or the Toshiba 42H81 for 2199) and I have digital cable. The Wega is also 2199 and is the KV36HS20. As you guys could probably tell from my questions I am trying to do a lot of research as I am very new to all of this and have already learned a lot of stuff. Any suggestions?
Of the three TV's you mention the Toshiba would be by far the best choice for picture quality plus it's 16x9 and HD capable! Sony are NOT very good at projection TV's but are VERY good at tube TV's. If you will be watching mostly 4x3 content then you probably want to get a 4x3 TV. If you watch at least 50% 16x9 (DVD & High Def) then get a 16x9 TV. The future is 16x9 so also think about that as well.
Old 03-09-02, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
I have a mitsu 50 inch rear projection TV, and I rarely watch it (it's in my front room).

Granted it's 5 years old or so, but I just love my VVegas.

they have auto 16x9 for watching dvds, and I just prefer the sharpness and color of a tube set. I'd rather watch my dvds on my 32 flat screen.

That's just me though.

-k
###
Old 03-10-02, 12:13 AM
X
Administrator

Received 149 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally posted by Keyser Soze
That's just me though.
I guess so.

I have a 53" RPTV and a 27" Wega. One I use for a really great movie-like experience. The other I use to watch latenight TV or an occasional 4:3 or throwaway movie. I probably don't have to tell you which is which.
Old 03-10-02, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 53" rear projection and love it for dvd and broadcast television. I won't be going back to tube tv.
Old 03-10-02, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a mitsu 50 inch rear projection TV, and I rarely watch it (it's in my front room).

Granted it's 5 years old or so, but I just love my VVegas.

they have auto 16x9 for watching dvds, and I just prefer the sharpness and color of a tube set. I'd rather watch my dvds on my 32 flat screen.

That's just me though.

-k
###
Comparing a 5 year old RPTV with a new Wega is rediculous! That technology is light years behind the RPTV's f today. If you compared the new HDTV's to your wega you would have never made this comment. And how can you stand those damn scan lines on the wega when you can get film like smoothness and higher resolution on a HDTV?
Old 03-10-02, 01:21 AM

Originally posted by joshd2012
If you are looking at Projection TVs, look at Mitsubishi, they make some great TVs.
I'll second that.
Old 03-10-02, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Frank S
If you compared the new HDTV's to your wega you would have never made this comment. And how can you stand those damn scan lines on the wega when you can get film like smoothness and higher resolution on a HDTV?
Actually, I've seen the new rear projection sets numerous times, and I still like the clear, sharp picture that a high quality tube puts out.

I myself don't notice scan lines once my set does the anamorphic squeeze, but like I said... that's just me.

As far as HDTV goes, I wouldn't put money into one of those sets for another 3-5 years. By that time the prices will drop, and the technology on the sets will progress.

-k
###
Old 03-10-02, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually, I've seen the new rear projection sets numerous times, and I still like the clear, sharp picture that a high quality tube puts out.

I myself don't notice scan lines once my set does the anamorphic squeeze, but like I said... that's just me.

As far as HDTV goes, I wouldn't put money into one of those sets for another 3-5 years. By that time the prices will drop, and the technology on the sets will progress.

-k
###
So your saying you see no advantage of a High Def picture on a RP/HDTV compared to the Standard Def on your Wega? AMAZING!! You are the first!

"Wait 3-5 years to buy a HDTV!" Good lord you have got to be kidding! HDTV's are not much more then their SD counterparts and offer FAR more video quality as well! What are you going to wait for 1080p before buying an HDTV? Well you better stretch your timeline for an additional 10 years on top of the 3-5 your talking about!

Last edited by Frank S; 03-10-02 at 02:21 AM.
Old 03-10-02, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So your saying you see no advantage of a High Def picture on a RP/HDTV compared to the Standard Def on your Wega? AMAZING!! You are the first!
For the standard TV feed that I get, no... I see no advantage. I don't have digital cable, so I see no need to toss down the extra $$$ on a high def tv. Amazing... isn't it?

-k
###
Old 03-10-02, 03:08 AM

Re: Re: Which TV to choose, Sony WEGA or a rear projection widescreen?

......! Sony are NOT very good at projection TV's but are VERY good at tube TV's....
Not true anymore. The KP51HW40 and KP57HW40 that came out last fall are top notch. Next Fall's models are adding DVI though.

I started out looking at the 36" Directviews but eventually went with the RPTV (Sony 51) and am very happy I did. The picture is amazing and I like the more "theater-like" big screen.

Unfortunately your digital cable might look like crap on any well set-up HD RPTV. I can tell you most DirecTV stuff looks poor due to the over-compression of the signal. If you can get HD signals, your jaw will drop.

-BL

Last edited by blawler; 03-10-02 at 03:10 AM.
Old 03-10-02, 08:13 AM

Actually the Wega is the Hi-Scan, also HDTV 36', if that makes a difference. As stated before the only thing I am really worried about with the rear projection is the burn in you could get. I play alot of PS2. Also how is watching regular 4:3 TV on a widescreen set, is there any proportional problems? If digital cable isn't a HD signal than how do I get one? Could someone post a link so I could price some of these HDTV decoders? I appreciate everyone's help.

Last edited by Homer J Simpson; 03-10-02 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03-10-02, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you have the room for a RPTV I would say go for it, with slight reservations. Make sure it has a DVI input, or you may be screwed down the line once an HDTV standard has been nailed down definitely.
Old 03-10-02, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What is the ambient light like in the room for the TV? RPTV's don't like a lot of light. They look great in an almost dark room.
Old 03-10-02, 12:23 PM
Banned

Originally posted by skar
What is the ambient light like in the room for the TV? RPTV's don't like a lot of light. They look great in an almost dark room.
Light is only a factor if it will show up as a reflection on the screen. My Mits has a sensor which changes the brightness of the TV to match the brightness of the room.
Old 03-10-02, 01:35 PM
X
Administrator

Received 149 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally posted by joshd2012

Light is only a factor if it will show up as a reflection on the screen. My Mits has a sensor which changes the brightness of the TV to match the brightness of the room.
I hate to disagree again, but brightness is a big factor in RPTV viewing. My Pioneer also has that ambient light sensor but I turned off that feature as soon as I saw what it did to my well-adjusted picture. And I have removed the reflecting protective screen which helped the picture even in a dark room.

If you drive the set high enough to be seen well in a well-lit room (known as torch mode) you will be prematurely burning it out (or in). I must agree with skar that a primary factor in choosing RPTV vs direct-view is the ability to regulate ambient light and your time-of-day viewing habits.
Old 03-10-02, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

although i love the vvegas, i refuse to buy any more 4:3 tvs...

also, note that the vvegas are extreeeeemly heavy...

i'm saving my money (and living w/ my current tvs) for a big ass wide screen rptv
Old 03-13-02, 03:08 AM

Originally posted by young
although i love the vvegas, i refuse to buy any more 4:3 tvs...

also, note that the vvegas are extreeeeemly heavy...

i'm saving my money (and living w/ my current tvs) for a big ass wide screen rptv

same here, i have a 27" sony wega myself
will be saving for one of them Plasma 16:9 screenz
hopefully in 2-3 years. i'll just put off buying a new car.
Old 03-17-02, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll second (third? fourth??) the recommendation for mitsubishi rp's. Newer ones give up nothing onresolution or clarity to tubes. Also, I've actually done a bit of 'research' on some friends who adamantly prefer tubes to rp's. I found they uniformly tend to like their contrast and color saturation turned *way* up. (It was a small sample of 4 people, admittedly, but high correlation!)

A good 'eyeball' test for tv is to watch it in a normally lit room (not too bright, but not dark). The people and objects on the tv should have about the same level of contrast and color intensity as the objects int he room around you. If things are gloqwing like a neon sign, relatively, then you're watching a maladjusted (and unrealistic) picture. (In a darker room, the apparent color intensity will increase a bit.) Rp's can easily handle 'realistic' color and contrast levels, as any quick set-up on a video essentials or similar dvd will reveal.
Old 03-18-02, 01:39 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another vote for Mitsubishi RPs... I saw a few 16x9 1080i sets... whoo. Beautiful.