Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Newbie Needs HT Help!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Newbie Needs HT Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-02, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie Needs HT Help!

Hello All!
I have been lurking here for awhile and found everyone to be very informative and the archives very helpful. I recently upgraded my 10 yr. old 19" RCA with the coax input for a new Philips 34PW9817 HD monitor.

The Home Theater bug has caught on, but I am really broke after purchasing the TV as I originally only budgeted $800 for a new TV and obviously that amount was exceeded. Here is my question: I would like to add either a cheap receiver and speakers or a cheap HTIB. My budget for this is basically $350 or under (don't laugh!). I am not an Audiophile and I live in a tiny Manhattan apartment with thin walls. I basically need something to get me started in the hobby and give me a taste of what the HT experience can be. From all of the archives that I have read, HTIB is basically not recommended, but it does seem to be my only option of getting surround sound for that cheap and with the least amount of hassle. Here is the dilemma, the Philips has two component inputs, but only one is progressive. I have a interlaced DVD player (Panny RV31S) that supposedly will work fine since the TV has a built-in Genesis chip which supposedly makes the use of a progressive DVD unnecessary. I do not have HDTV yet (I am on the TWC-NYC waiting list), but do plan on getting both the HD feed and a prog. DVD eventually. Do I need a receiver that has multiple component inputs and outputs if I eventually want to use the HD feed and a progressive DVD player? From what I have seen, getting these requirements on a receiver raises the cost substantially. Please give me a few suggestions as to what receivers can do this at a minimum of cost. If I were to go the HTIB route what are all of your suggestions? I made a spreadsheet comparing the systems and I am pretty lost as it seems the only way to see which is better is by being an audiophile and comparing them in person. I have basically narrowed it down to these two choices:

Onkyo HTS-490

JVC DS-TP150

I have also noted down the following models in my range:
Kenwood HTB-204
Kenwood HTB-344
Sony HTD-DW830
Pioneer HTP-211

All of these models do not seem to offer more than an s-video input/output, but I am not sure if I need the components. Please advise what route I should take as I am lost and the more I research the more confused I seem to be getting. Also, and I know this really is arbitrary, but I would like it to be silver to match the TV and DVD.

Thank you in advance for your replies!
Old 03-08-02, 12:33 PM
Banned

For $350 you are going to have a hard time. Components are good, and you'll prolly need 2 input (one for your DVD Player and One for your HDTV) and one output (to the TV). As for HTIB, I don't recommend them, but if you must, the ones I prefer are around the $1000 range which is out of your $350 range. I really don't know what kind of system you could throw together for $350. I mean, I guess you could find a receiver for $100 and spend $50/speaker. I really don't have any suggestions for equipment in that price range though.
Old 03-08-02, 12:39 PM

Thanks for your reply! I was thinking the same thing right after I posted. What about if I was able to spend $500 total? I could spend about $250 on a receiver (used or refurb would be okay) and then get the level 1 home theater direct speakers. How does that sound?
Old 03-08-02, 12:54 PM
Banned

It can be done. I'm not sure what the best products are in that price range, so if anyone can help this guy out...
Old 03-08-02, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a friend who's been looking for something in the same price range, so far we've come up with:
Harman Kardon AVR 210 - $294.00
http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_br...er=AVR%20210-Z

and for the speakers:
Home Theater Direct level 1 - $149
http://store.yahoo.com/htd/levelone51set.html

I don't really know about the speakers but I've heard good things about level 2 and 3.
Old 03-08-02, 01:22 PM

e_harnett,

Thanks for the response. The Harmon Kardon looks interesting, but does it have Component ins/outs? Do I need component ins/outs? What about the Onkyo 494, there seems to be a lot of good buzz surrounding that receiver. I think I am pretty set on the HTD Level 1's as it is definitely in my budget and seems to be from a quality supplier. I haven't been able to find any reviews on it however. I will just have to keep researching...

Thanks for all your help guys!
Old 03-08-02, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oops, I thought it did but I guess not. I think it's going to be tough to find a receiver with component switching in that price range. I know the Onkyo 494 doesn't have component switching. Have you looked into one of the component switchboxes from radio shack?
Old 03-08-02, 01:40 PM

That was kind of my question also, do I NEED component switching on the receiver? Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but I am really a newbie in this genre. I know that I can get a manual radioshack switch for about $15-20. How do I then connect the receiver to the HDTV and the DVD if it doesn't have component ins/outs? Can this even be done for under $500?
Old 03-09-02, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by n_lim
That was kind of my question also, do I NEED component switching on the receiver? Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but I am really a newbie in this genre. I know that I can get a manual radioshack switch for about $15-20. How do I then connect the receiver to the HDTV and the DVD if it doesn't have component ins/outs? Can this even be done for under $500?
No, you don't need component switching. You just plug your component cables directly into your TV. The component cables only carry video, the audio is carried in an optical or digital coax cable.

I really like the Onkyo line of receivers. If you can wait the Onkyo SR-600 comes out in a month or two and has HD component video switching. It should be available for as little as $380 or so. Otherwise the Onkyo 494 (soon to replaced by the SR-500) should also work well (no component switching though). They both cost about $250.
Old 03-09-02, 10:38 AM

Okay, that's what I was thinking. Video switching is basically a convenience, but getting remote component switching demands quite a premium it seems. So I could basically route all audio through the receiver and then all the video plugs directly into the TV, right? and if I wanted to add more component outputs I could simply add a radio shack manual switcher so i don't have to worry about bandwith constraints. I may wait for the Onkyo 600 since it has component switching at a decent price. What about speakers? Any thoughts on the HTD level 1's? I am really not looking for anything too expensive or audiophile quality. Thanks for all the responses!
Old 03-09-02, 12:08 PM
Sn0
DVD Talk Special Edition

I own a pretty decent system and do not route any of my component video through my reciever it is just not worth the hassle. Plus the more gear you get between the TV and the DVD player the more the signal has a chance to degrade. I would recommend as long as you have enough inputs on your TV never to do component switching. If it is too much of a hassel to switch every time then buy a remote with Macro capabilities and have one button push do it all. But that is just my 2 cents