Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

question about s-video "y" adaptor

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-02, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any reason why getting one of these instead of a swtich box is a bad idea?
Old 03-06-02, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What are you trying to accomplish? Two sources to one TV, or one source to two TV's?
Old 03-06-02, 01:39 AM

two sources to one tv
Old 03-06-02, 12:12 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
I tried a VGA "Y" cable with bad results. Unfortunately the two sources are always hooked together in this configuration, whether off or on, and the output suffered. It appeared to attenuate the strength of the picture by about a factor of 2, probably due to an impedance change caused by the two sources hooked in parallel. When one source was removed the picture was fine.

I would not have much hope for an s-video "Y" either. What I have found is that if a strange adapter is really hard to find and you don't find much info on it, it's usually because it doesn't work very well.
Old 03-06-02, 12:23 PM
Banned

What about one of those Video Game system choosers? It allows to hook up 4 sources and choose which one you want to use. I'm pretty sure they have ones which use S-video, but I don't know of the quality.
Old 03-07-02, 06:22 AM
Cool New Member

I have used an s-y adaptor for some time now and it works perfectly with no visible loss of signal. But, I am going from one source to 2 TVs. They are becoming easy to find now with Radio Shack selling one for under $10.
Old 03-07-02, 12:36 PM

Hmm, for under $10 I'd give it a try. They didn't have one at my local Radio Shack, maybe I'll go to a bigger location.

I can definitely see where the y-adaptor would divide the signal, but I wonder if it's noticable or just on paper. $40 is about as cheap as it gets with a switch and extra s-video cable, and that's a bit much.
Old 03-07-02, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
One source to two TVs is fine with a Y-adapter. Two sources to one TV, however, almost always isn't. If the two sources are both always off when not in use, then it MIGHT be alright if the second is turned off while the first is in use.
Old 03-07-02, 02:48 PM

Radio Shack now sells a couple of switchers that allow you to input 4 or 7 video sources and feed the signals, whether composite or S-video to your monitor with an S-video input. The switcher will convert the composite inputs to S-video (though it will not improve their quality). The benefit of using a switcher like this is that you are only feeding one signal to the monitor.

The prices I saw at a local RS were not bad (I think 79.95 and 149.95)
Old 03-07-02, 04:13 PM

$150 for a switch, are you kidding!?!?
Old 03-07-02, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by aardvarkmi
Radio Shack now sells a couple of switchers that allow you to input 4 or 7 video sources and feed the signals, whether composite or S-video to your monitor with an S-video input. The switcher will convert the composite inputs to S-video (though it will not improve their quality). The benefit of using a switcher like this is that you are only feeding one signal to the monitor.

The prices I saw at a local RS were not bad (I think 79.95 and 149.95)
I have a 4-input switch box from Radio Shack..... same thing as you described. It was $40, and it works like a charm.
Old 03-08-02, 06:07 AM
Cool New Member

I also saw these splitters a few weeks ago at one of the local Boston area computer shows. They were selling them for $6.95. They are just a simple device that looks similar to a regular video y splitter. They really shouldn't be charging much more than $10-$20 for these things.
Old 03-08-02, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those s-video splitters work as long as both signals aren't active at the same time. For example, if you have it split to 2 tvs, you are fine as long as you don't have both TVs on at the same time. If you do, both try to draw more current from the signal that can be provided by splitting it. You end up getting horrible picture quality (dark, washed out, dull). As soon as you turn the 2nd tv off then the picture quality on the first tv goes back to normal.

The reason why the more expensive ones work is they are powered to boost the signal strength that would otherwise be lost by splitting the signal.