Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Man forbidden from buying anymore Sony products EVER again!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-02, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check this out. Pretty funny.

http://www.latimes.com/editions/oran...974feb27.story

February 27, 2002 Talk about it E-mail story Print

Dana Parsons:
Big-Screen Fan's Not-So-Good Buy Prompts Sony's Goodbye

Recent Columns:
Civic-Minded Voters Should Pitch Those Last-Minute Campaign Pitches
Mar 1, 2002

Big-Screen Fan's Not-So-Good Buy Prompts Sony's Goodbye
Feb 27, 2002

UC Irvine Student Body Not Quite Ready for Sexuality Course
Feb 24, 2002

Doubt That All Roads Lead to El Toro? Listen In on D.A. Race
Feb 22, 2002

Sometimes, Lotto Fever Can Turn Into Fear and Loathing
Feb 20, 2002

In any tussle between a corporation and the little guy, it's smart to bet on the corporation.Unless that little guy happens to be Mike Scott, who lives in Newport Beach, owns a car wash in Fullerton and likes big-screen TVs. When it came to his viewing pleasure, he always considered himself a Sony man. Technically, he's still a Sony man, because the small living room in his beachfront home is dominated by one of its 55-inch models.

How long he stays in the fold, however, provides the punch line for today's slice of life in this wacky world of ours.

Sad to say, but Scott, 59, and Sony have had a falling-out that looks permanent. Scott says his TV developed some quirky habits that should have been covered by a one-year warranty. Sony denies the TV was defective, but with Scott refusing to budge and ready to go to court, the electronics giant paid him $4,500 (the approximate cost of the TV) following a settlement conference.

Here's the fun part: The company insisted on including this language in the settlement: "[Mr. Scott] agrees that he will not purchase or otherwise obtain or receive a Sony product of any type in the future."

Wow. A lifetime Sony ban. Luckily for Scott, the ban doesn't include watching or listening to anything on a Sony.

Or, maybe the company just forgot to add that.

I translate Sony's legalese as, "Nyaah-nyaah, you can't buy any more of our stuff never, ever, ever again!"

If it sounds like the two had a history, they did.

This is Scott's third big-screen Sony in the last few years. It's also the third he's said had a defect.

The first two go-arounds, the sets were replaced under a five-year warranty he bought from the dealer. When he bought his current set, the dealer wouldn't sell him the warranty, so he was covered only by Sony's one-year arrangement. Within a few months, Scott says, the new TV was acting up. This time, Sony refused to replace it.

The problem with the sets appears to be the salt air at Scott's small beachfront home, which has done a number on everything from Scott's blinds to the legs on his bar stools. He says a Sony-authorized repairman told him there was corrosion inside the set. On one visit, Scott says, the repairman used a blow-dryer to get the TV working again.

It's pretty obvious Sony is fed up with Scott. Sony's lawyer once asked him if he was pouring saltwater on the TV's parts.

"They said [the TV's problem] was an act of God," Scott says. "Act of God, because I live next to a beach? God destroyed my TV? Lightning, a storm, stuff like that, that's an act of God. I don't consider air an act of God."

I asked Laura Citrano, Scott's attorney, if someone can be banned from buying a product. "That's a good question," she says. "Originally, they wanted to waive the warranty. That's unenforceable, so they tried to go at it another way by saying he can't buy another of their products. But I don't think they'll have somebody following Mike around seeing what he's purchasing."

Jilana Miller, Sony's lawyer in the case, says she can't comment. A Sony spokeswoman said she wasn't familiar enough with the settlement to comment.

Under the agreement it reached with Scott, the company denies the set is defective.

You are still watching it, I say to Scott. Yes, he says, but he leaves it on 24 hours a day, switching over to a radio component during the night or when he's not watching TV.

Why? "When I turn it off, it never comes back on," he says. "To me, that's kind of abnormal."

Sony may think Scott is scamming them, but I don't buy that. He and Citrano say his attorney fees could be $10,000 and rising if he went to court.That's twice what a new TV would have cost him.

I think Sony simply ran into a buzz saw with Scott, not thinking he'd push things as far as he did. He says he pursued matters because he felt bullied and, as a businessman, objected to Sony's treatment.

Still, he agreed to the lifetime ban. I ask how he felt about that.

"I guess it's their coup de grace," he says. "They think they win if they can tell me I can never buy another one of their products. As if I would."
Old 03-08-02, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Man forbidden from buying anymore Sony products EVER again!

Originally posted by Bcolon
Why? "When I turn it off, it never comes back on," he says. "To me, that's kind of abnormal."
Old 03-09-02, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What a whiner. Reminds me of the people who live in flood zones and cry every time it floods.

If this guy doesn't like having his TVs go bad from the salt air, move away from the beach.

I do like that clause, though. It basically means that he cannot make another claim against Sony.
Old 03-09-02, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Heat
I do like that clause, though. It basically means that he cannot make another claim against Sony.
That's pretty much the standard thing whenever you sue a company. There will almost always be something in the settlement saying you can never use their products or services again, and that if you do, you do so at your own risk.
Old 03-10-02, 06:50 AM

Sounds like the TV NAZI. NO PROJECTION TV FOR YOU FOR TEN YEARS!
Old 03-10-02, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have no sympathy for this guy. I usually am all for the little guy, but why should a company have to replace a guys TV because of environmental damage.

It is almost like putting a brand new set outside in your backyard unprotected then complaining because the set wont work after a rain storm or just from plain condensation.

J
Old 03-12-02, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Umm, no. This guy isn't doing anything to his TV besides putting it in his house. If Sony would say "This TV is not built to be placed in houses near oceans." then maybe Sony has a case. As far as I am concerned, he is a consumer getting screwed by a big company that refuses to acknowledge their TV's have known problems.
Old 03-12-02, 09:39 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
"Boo hoo hoo! My life is so hard here in my beach house! SOB!"
Old 03-12-02, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Problems caused by a saline environment a known problem? If so then any other television will have the same "known problem".

This type of deal isn't uncommon. I remember our doing this with a guy who had one of our printers (Digital Equipment LN09). We paid him more than the printer was worth to get him to go away and buy something else. He never had a problem with the printer but tied up tech support for many hours and made repeated calls to the DEC ceo. All because he didn't know how to use the apps on his Mac.