Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help me get my digital audio working again.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-02, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I have one of the old Apex 600 DVD players and an Onkyo receiver (I forgot the model # but I think it's either 757 or 767.)
I had them hooked up with a digital coaxial cable from www.rhinocables.com and it was working fine. I just bought a new TV and had to unhook everything so I could assemble the stand and then put the components back in the stand. After doing all that I can't get any digital audio. I thought maybe unplugging it reset some settings, but I've tried about every combination. The only other thing I can think of is that when I hooked them up in the stand I didn't have a lot of clearance and there was a big bend at the end of the cable and maybe that damaged it.

In case it's any help here are the output options on the DVD player:

Analog
SPDIF/RAW
SPDIF/PCM

And, the input on the receiver is set to coaxial and has the option of:

Digital
Analog

I'm pretty sure I've tried every possible combination of settings. Still no luck, the receiver just sits there saying "Dolby Pro Logic" and doesn't have any sound. Used to, it would display the number of channels briefly (3/2.1) and then display "Dolby Digital" or "DTS" but now it doesn't do that.

So, does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Seven
Old 02-28-02, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Ummmm, I think you have to put the coaxial cable from the pcm thingy on back of DVD player to the digital out on your receiver. I am unclear if you tried this or not. Otherwise I would check the settings on both the DVD player and receiver. Also make sure the coaxial cable is pushed in all the way
Old 02-28-02, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Test another coaxial cable to see if that works, just use an extra rca video cable if you have one. At least that way you will know if it's the cable or if you need to do some more testing.
Old 02-28-02, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I tried another cable and still had no luck. Since I've tried all the settings, I guess somehow the output jack must've gone bad.

Old 03-05-02, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can you see the back of the receiver well enough to make sure the cable is plugged in the right jack? I'd be real surprised if something failed in one of the components. Much more likely that something isn't connected right.

The receiver should be set to DIGITAL and the DVD probably to SPDIF/RAW .

jr
Old 03-05-02, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I believe when I pushed the DVD player back into the cabinet the cable hit the back of the cabinet and then sort of pushed in the jack a little and disconnected something. The jack sort of loosely wiggles now. I hooked my LD player up using the same cable and input on my receiver and it worked fine, so I'm pretty positive that the output on my DVD player just got disconnected.

I work in the maintenance dept. at a factory and all the maintenance guys told me I should bring it in and they should be able to just re-solder it and fix it. But, I'm afraid that they might end up messing something else up, so I'm not sure if I'm going to do that or not.

Old 03-05-02, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, if it is just a broken solder on the jack inside it shouldn't be too major of a deal to resolder it. If I remember right there's not a lot of stuff inside the Apex unit anyways. They use a DVD-ROM so a lot of the circuits are mounted right on the drive itself. The output jacks should be mounted on a board by themselves.

jr
Old 03-06-02, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, the outputs are on a seperate board. I found a pic here:

The jack in question is the little orange cube. I opened the case, and removed the screws from the circuit board, but couldn't get it separated from the back panel or get the back panel separated from the bottom. The back will slide either way until the board hits either side, but I can't get it to come off. I didn't want to have to bring the whole player in, but it looks like I might have to.

Old 03-06-02, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That connector circuit board should come loose from the back panel pretty easily. Are there any screws going through the back panel into the jacks? If so, did you remove them? Is there anything else holding the jacks to the back panel?

jr
Old 03-07-02, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There are 2 sets of analog audio outputs forming a square and there was a screw in the center that I had missed.

Once I got it out and could see the other side I could see that the trace leading from the jack was broken. I brought it in and they soldered it, so it should work now.

I'll know for sure when I get home tonight.

Thanks for your help,
Seven