Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Sign the petition against DVI/HDCP

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-02, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the very least we can gauge how many HDTV owners are opposed to DVI/HDCP, which can be used for further action in the future. The petition is at:

This is the website. Sign it. We can voice out to the MPAA what we feel.

http://www.petitiononline.com/stophdcp/petition.html
Old 02-27-02, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

HDTV owners listen up........

DIRECTV showed its power with the RCA receiver. It was great. HDTV at its finest. Then more and more receivers began to come out. Then the trend of HDTV become the buzz of the nation. Everyone was getting HDTV's/ Then this December i finally bought my HDTV. A Toshiba 34 inch monster. it performs great and has the potential to give great picture for HDTV.

Now the HDCP-DVI issues come out and all of a sudden..........my tv is degraded. My tv wont produce the HDTV that was promised by the Consumer to deliver. HDTV receivers will produce only for DVI-HDCP ready Tvs. They will get the true HDTV. Not us.

Where does this leave all of us? When i mean all of us i mean all of us. We all here talk about how our systems have audio drop outs and that our tvs show great picture. Then what? Its not just affecting one or two of us. its all of us.

We need to show them that this isnt right. They just cant come out of nowhere and say "you know what your tv isnt really HDTV because we are coming out with TVS that give true HDTV.

So now we, the people, have the power to show them how we feel. Our forum is the stageing grounds. Round up anyone you know that has HDTV and tell them how you feel and inform them of what is going to happen. Sign petitions and send letters to the congressman. We need to tell MPAA, and the companies that we cant just be mislead like this this quick.

We have to try guys. Who knows. It may work or it might not but we will give them, no we will show them that we will not be just deceived. They always want feedback on their products. Now its time to give them what they want. Feedback.
Old 02-27-02, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know it sucks, but I am sure early adopters are used to being screwed.

Remember Beta, laserdisc, digital audio tape, minidisk, evil divx, tons of other things?

Technology is constantly evolving and if something has not quite hit "main stream" you always run the risk of being left with something unsupported.

The petition is a good start, it was grass roots word of mouth that killed divx and took circuit city off the dvd radar so maybe you all can make a difference here too. I am going to wait a while for HDTV myself. It looks great but with limited support who knows what will happen. It looks as if HD dvd is on the horizon so I am sure that will help boost sales once it kicks in.

I just hope its backward compatible with standard dvd.

-K
Old 02-27-02, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

FYI: I merged the HDTV owners listen up........ thread into this one.

-stevevt
Old 02-28-02, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Come on people. I know there is more people then that. We need all the help we can get to overcome this issue.

HDTV owners, Progressive scan dvd player owners, and hdtv receiver owners....... we need all of your help.
Old 03-01-02, 03:13 PM

I hate to break it to you guys, but you're too late. There's no stopping HDCP now. At least it won't effect HD Broadcasting.
Old 03-02-02, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Signed the petition. I dont own an HDTV for this very reason of incertainties around connections/formats.

I think when it is all said and done tuners will be compatible with current sets in hi-def, but you never know.

J