Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Paul Kelly

Old 02-26-02, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paul Kelly

I know this thread won't grow very large since I'm not sure there are a million people who know of Paul Kelly. I really love some of the musicians that come out of Australia and New Zealand (I really like stuff like the Chills, Clean, Bats, etc).

Anyway, I think Paul Kelly is incredible. I have liked this guy since I first heard him in '87. I hadn't heard his most recent music and downloaded it the other day. Man, the guy still has it. Just great music and lyrics.

Anyone?
Old 02-26-02, 09:09 PM

Kelly is great

Being an Aussie in Australia I am a lot more familiar with him than most readers here.
I have always enjoyed his music, mainly due to its "Australianisms" that I can relate to..the people and the places he sings about. It is very Australian and I think that's why I like it.

BTW he is still going strong, quite prolific and can often be found playing a show somewhere in the country and is very involved in many other artists work here in Australia.

I think he is Australia's Bob Dylan.

Terry
Old 02-27-02, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hey Redhenry, you have a perspective that I don't have here in Georgia. There really is that Australian perspective from Kelly, but most of his themes are relatable to just about anyone. But even if EVERY song he sang was about Australia I'd still like him. I'm starving for well-thought out music like his. He's never had a hit here, barely even registering on college radio. I saw him at a local club a few years ago (just him) and there weren't too many people there. A big shame. But, you never know when something can become popular, despite lyrics that have very little to do with America (Midnight Oil is a good example).

Anyway, I'm curious if you could shed some light on the Australian and/or New Zealand scene for me. I know New Zealand is not that close to Australia (at least as close as most people think!), but do the bands from New Zealand play in Australia much? And are some of those Flying Nun bands popular there? Or is stuff like the Chills, Clean, Bats underground music where you live?

I plan on seeing David Kilgour live very soon here. I don't know what's in the water down there, but I've always enjoyed what's been going on (Nick Cave, Split Enz, Hunters & Collectors, Hoodoo Gurus, Lime Spiders and a lot more).