Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Cool Van Halen related news

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 02-26-02, 04:58 PM
Premium Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

February 21, 2002 - Sammy Hagar's official site has confirmed the rumour that Hagar, Michael Anthony, Neal Schon and Deen Castronovo have formed a "supergroup". The unnamed group are in the studio and have recorded two songs so far: Vertigo and Peeping Through A Hole.

I'm told Michael Anthony is still a member of Van Halen and has no intention of leaving. This is just a side-project for all concerned. Mike must have been quite frustrated after years of inactivity, so it's good to see he's keeping himself busy. Sammy will still tour this summer with his regular band, the Waboritas.

February 22, 2002 - A little birdie told me that the group will record a song for the soundtrack of the next Batman movie, but that rumour looks to be false. Journey's web site was updated today with information about the project. According to the site, Vertigo will be presented for consideration on the Spiderman soundtrack.

February 25, 2002 - The working name of the group is currently "Planet Us". The guys hoped to have Slash involved but he couldn't make it to the recording session on short notice. They're hoping he'll be involved later down the track, but if that's not possible they'll stay as a 4-piece.

http://www.vhnd.net/articles/020221-01.shtml

Well no Van Halen in the band but this should be good
Old 02-26-02, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts

I always thought Michael Anthony seemed like a class act.

Kudos to him for putting politics aside (Eddie vs Sammy) and wanting to make music.
Old 02-26-02, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Cool news!!

I thought that Hagar was pissed at the guys from VH for dumping him the way they did though.

Moving to Music Forum...........
Old 02-26-02, 05:03 PM
Banned

Moving to Music forum.
Old 02-26-02, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Three words that should never be in one sentence:

Cool ~ VanHalen ~ News

Lakers ~ Lose ~ Finals

Kenwood ~ Never ~ Lurks

No ~ Colored ~ Text

No ~ twikoff ~ option

HokeyPokey ~ Is ~ Dead

Cowboys ~ Draft ~ Well
Old 02-26-02, 05:27 PM
Premium Member

OOPS - I forgot about the music forum

Is it me or is there too many forums???
Old 02-26-02, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by bfrank
OOPS - I forgot about the music forum

Is it me or is there too many forums???
Moving to the "Complain about too many forums" forum
Old 02-26-02, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by DTSC

Moving to the "Complain about too many forums" forum
Moving To the: "Excessive use of Bold Feature while moving to another Forum, Forum"
Old 02-27-02, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by adia4625
Cool news!!

I thought that Hagar was pissed at the guys from VH for dumping him the way they did though.

Moving to Music Forum...........
He was... but in an interview, it was mainly Eddie he was pissed at...and would never play with him again.
Old 02-27-02, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

aside from Steve Vai, who else did Castronovo play drums for? (he's a great drummer, I'm just curious)
Old 02-13-06, 11:51 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Deen_Castronovo.html

Apparently he performed with....

"Journey
Neal Schon
Jonathan Cain
Ross Valory
Seve Augeri
Bad English
Ozzy Osborne
Neal Schon
Hardline
George Bellas
Tony MacAlpine
Steve Vai
Matt Guillory
Mike Varney
James Murphy
Steve Fontano
Marty Friedman
Jonathan Cain
Devin Townsend
Geezer
Richie Zito
Mark Spiro
Ricky Phillips
Tony Phillips
Paul Northfield
Mike Mani
George Bellas
Cacophony
Tony MacAlpine
Ted Nugent
Steve Vai
Von Groove
....and many more"

What Hendrix, VanHalen and Ywngwie were to modern guitar Deen is to drums. His over the top bombastic bass drum flurries soon made Deen the 16 YR OLD wonder kid as his band at the time. The Enemy went out as the opening act in front of Blue Oyster Cult and Foghat. Upon seeing an ad on TV for The Enemy, Kip Doran,(Evil Genius) Matt McCourt and Ja Reynolds (Malice ) went to see Deen at a local nightclub. "he was playin double bass in parts of Shoot, Shoot the UFO song, that actually made me like that song." remembers McCourt. I was really into drummers especially Billy Cobham and Neil Peart and here is this (then) Overweight kid takin up the whole stage playing and singing, the others in the band had to stand on the dance floor because his kit was so big. Kay, Deen's Mo, was his managing agent and she was determined to see her kid succeed, it was Kay who made the BOC/FOGHAT tour deal and was instrumental in backing the Wild Dogs, donating 15,000 dollars for staging, special effects, costumes, an more gear. After Making contact with Deeno, Jay ,Matt, and Kip recorded the first Malice demo it was 1982 and the NWOBHM had just begun, Brian Slagle started Metal Blade records and published a magazine. Mike Varney started Shrapnel and the indie record phenomenom was born.

Following Pete Holmes (and Jaime St James (Black-n-Blue) Deen joined the Wild Dogs who were starting to gain a global following after the release of U.S..METAL VOL2 on Shrapnel records. Shortly after Deen Joined the Dogs they hit the road, first stop was San Francisco where the group performed with Seattle's Culprit at the Stone. Parts were taped for an MTV segment on Varney which the Wild dsogs were featured. That was the begininning. Since the wild dogs 1st album Deen has played on a staggering number of releases (as soon as available we will post a discography.) Castronovo has gone on to back many arena acts including Bad English,Ozzy Osbourne( from which he was relieved of duty for an as yet undetermined reason.. the official press release was that Ozzy claimed "Athough Deen is a fantastic studio musician and is better suited to that than live performance"- and anybody who has ever seen him would attest that not only is his mastery of the craft obvious, his sense of showmanship is extremely high. juggling 4 sticks at once while his feet do the dizzy dance.

Currently he is with Journey who has been out on the road for a while and sounding better than they ever did. "They really know those songs well"-says Mccourt who along with Jeff Horton snuck into the rose garden arena in Portland to see their old pal Deen who famously forgot to leave the passes at the will call."one of the funniest incidents that happened on a road trip recalls Mccourt, was the time Sean Dawson got el-marko'ed by Deen after a long drive and the ensuing gig, then he was to meet a buddy north of S.F. where we played that night"well, Sean fell asleep in the crowded motel room and Deen drew all kinds of stuff on his face later, the friend calls from up north, we wake up Sean give him directions and send him off to a Denny's in California redneck country. after the 100th rude comment in the restraunt he goes to the bathroom and discovers the source of all this aggrivation. the next day he decided not to desert us, so he turned around on I-5 and came back, his face was bright red from him scrubbing- and we were late to a gig with Black-nBlue and Steeler at the Country Club near L.A where the backstage was filled with Metal Rockstars Dio, Blackie Lawless, and Chris Holmes from wasp, Jake e. Lee The week he got the Ozzy Job everyone you see on vh1 where are they now! ahh, the good old hostess donut and choco-milky tours"
Old 02-13-06, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Schon and Castronovo in on this? Sounds great. Hagar is the biggest question mark for me in this, but it could definitely be good. Not exactly sure why you'd need Slash in a group like this when Schon can carry a band by himself, but I suppose he couldn't hurt. It's bound to be better than that crap with Weiland.
Old 02-13-06, 12:11 PM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by Mordred
Schon and Castronovo in on this? Sounds great. Hagar is the biggest question mark for me in this, but it could definitely be good. Not exactly sure why you'd need Slash in a group like this when Schon can carry a band by himself, but I suppose he couldn't hurt. It's bound to be better than that crap with Weiland.
You realize this was posted 4 years ago, right?
Old 02-13-06, 12:40 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
amazon.com/gp/product/B000000OMQ/ref=cm_bg_d_16/002-6176454-8404059?v=glance&n=5174

While I was looking for an appropriate Van Halen thread in which to post the latest "news", I saw that Castronovo question had never been answered hence my bump. My apologies for any confusion!

Even though the 2002 supergroup never really happened there was an earlier Schon collaboration that may be of interest. Details at Amazon.