Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DVDExpress troubles ?? NOT A DEAL < just a warning ...

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-02, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Expressive
Apparently DVD Express, who filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy last year, was just kicked out of their home. From one employee, "2 police cars came to our Culver city office. Spoke to the president for 10 minutes. Then a sheriff told us to pack all of our personal belongings." From another employee, "Everyone was standing outside without a clue. A locksmith was changing the locks. No word as of yet of our status."
When: 2/22/2002
Company: DVD Express
Severity: 98
This is from F___edcompany.com , Id be careful ordering from DVDexpress again .
Old 02-22-02, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, apparently DvdExpress is almost dead (again):

The Following is from f***edcompany.com today: (check it for yourself, and see)

Apparently DVD Express, who filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy last year, was just kicked out of their home. From one employee, "2 police cars came to our Culver city office. Spoke to the president for 10 minutes. Then a sheriff told us to pack all of our personal belongings." From another employee, "Everyone was standing outside without a clue. A locksmith was changing the locks. No word as of yet of our status."

(edited to fix typo)

Last edited by TheMadMonk; 02-22-02 at 11:34 PM.
Old 02-22-02, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by TheMadMonk

The Following is from *****edcompay.com :

Um....I don't think I'll be placing an order with them. Isn't this a new ownership?
Old 02-22-02, 11:32 PM

Apparently "new ownership" makes no guarantee of "competent ownership". I certainly wouldn't order anything from them now.

Too bad, they were once a good store. But that was a long, long time ago.
Old 02-23-02, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Was this the same store that had 50% off their top 100 selling DVDs?
Old 02-23-02, 11:49 AM

DVDEXPRESS is the problem company mentioned in *****edcompany.com and NOT DVDEmpire.

Perhaps the moderator will change the title of the post.

Last edited by Startide; 02-23-02 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-23-02, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Startide
DVDEXPRESS is the problem company mentioned in *****edcompany.com and NOT DVDEmpire.

Perhaps the moderator will change the title of the post.
I spun off the DVD Express posts from the old "Watch out for DVD Empire!" thread, where they clearly didn't belong, into this new thread.

Thanks for the head up.

I'm not sure if this was intentional or not, but I'd ask that members keep to the topic at hand in situations where 2 stores might be easily confused (i.e., not bring up problems with Store Y in a thread dedicated to Store X).

-stevevt
Old 02-23-02, 03:56 PM

Sorry, mea culpa. I should just stick to reading threads when i've had a couple drinks.
Old 02-24-02, 06:11 AM

Well, there goes my 13.66 $ order for Strictly Ballroom!!!
Old 02-24-02, 12:19 PM

Sh*t! I just returned a DVD I bought from them recently for an exchange. Is there a way I can get the post office to stop delivery? It was sent Media Mail, so I'm sure it's still in transit and won't get there until the beginning of March. If they're going out of business, I'm afraid I might never get the exchange or the original item back. I did put Delivery Confirmation on it, so I'll know when they get it, but I don't know what good that'll do me. Well, if nothing else works, hopefully my credit card co. will come through for me.
Old 02-24-02, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's always a clue when they have a clearance sale trying to off-load their inventory. This is their 2nd major one that I am aware of. The 1st was about a year ago around the time they filed Chapter 11. I made a good killing on their CD inventory sell-off. However the last time around I was looking for good DVD deals (found a couple, but must was junk).

The real big clue is to see how many top titles they never have in stock. If they aren't re-stocking, it is usually a sign of a major cash-flow problem.
Old 02-24-02, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It took a month and a half to get my Buckaroo Banzai from them!
Pre-ordered before January 9th and supposedly shipped on that date, but didn't arrive until February 22nd - hardly "Express" service. I don't know what the problem was there.
Old 02-25-02, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And according to another site, the rumors posted by f***edcompany.com, may (repeat may) just be that. However, I would still be wary of placing orders through them. Not that I have had any problems (I am not a heavy user of Express.com anymore, but last order was 2/11/02 and everything arrived on time (some clearance items). . .

latest source of DVD Express news http://www.Videotropic.com/

"DVD Express not closing: And to put to rest some other rumors that have been floating around the 'net, DVD Express has not been locked out of their offices, and has been -- and is -- conducting business as usual. "

Originally posted by TheMadMonk
Old 02-25-02, 02:28 PM

Below is a response I received from DVDExpress :

from dvdexpress.com

Hi..... It's Howard,

Okay, so the latest rumor going on the web today is that DVD Express or Express Media Group LLC has been kicked out of it's building and is "out of business." This is not true! I am sitting here drinking my cup of coffee and writing this email to you from the very same "rumored" office. We are still here and nothing has
happened.

I pride myself in being upfront and hope that you will treat me with the same respect so here is what I know to be true. DVD Express is operating the business very frugally, but effectively. In any event you will always be paid which I think most of you is concerned about.

As long as I am managing you can rely on the affiliate program to hold up it's end of it's contractual agreement. I consider myself a man of high integrity and believe in honest business practices. If there ever does come a time when I don't believe "situations" are handled properly I will inform you immediately.

If you have any questions or concerns plesae contact me: email or phone!

Again, I am still here! The business is still here

Thanks,

Howard C. Kim
Old 02-25-02, 06:57 PM

I can confirm this email because it was from me

Hi,

Just to verify this was sent by me (Howard Kim) to my affiliate partners.

email me if you have any questions: [email protected]

Thanks,

howard
Old 02-26-02, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
And on a more positive note.... while my order of 1/25 took nearly three weeks to reach me, I took a chance and ordered Myth of Fingerprints ($6.99) on Thursday, February 21 - and received it YESTERDAY!
Old 02-27-02, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Howard,
Thanks for taking the time to post. Although my order from last month took longer than expected, it did eventually arrive complete, and the charges were correct.
I placed a new order today for several titles that were all shown as "in stock". Hopefully this time it won't take more than a week to process and ship.
Here's hoping for the best, for my order and your company.
Old 02-28-02, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

excellent service on my last order

Well, the order that I placed on Tuesday evening arrived today, on Thursday.
All 4 items were correct, the billing notice was for the right amount, and it was shipped priority mail.
The online inventory system seems to be working properly, and the processing time was excellent (contrary to my previous order).
I'd encourage anyone to give these folks another chance.
Old 02-28-02, 04:44 PM

dvd2001, what problems did you have with online inventory on your last order? Curious, because I tried cancelling some backordered items on an order last month and the system wouldn't let me. Also, took 3 weeks to get my first shipment from them, even though it was sent Priority. My other shipments arrived more quickly, though.
Old 02-28-02, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

T-rex,
I didn't have any problems with the online inventory on the previous order, it was just that it was over a week from the time I placed the order without getting any sort of response.
Since there was a lot of negative feedback about them at the time, I tried to cancel the order, and of course, that got the ball rolling, and I got a message "too late to cancel, already shipped". Well fine, that's what I wanted anyway.

But again, this last order went very well, and I only tried it again because of the considerate post by Howard Kim.
In order to keep prices competitive, we need more online retailers, not less.
Old 03-01-02, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by dvd2001
Since there was a lot of negative feedback about them at the time, I tried to cancel the order, and of course, that got the ball rolling, and I got a message "too late to cancel, already shipped". Well fine, that's what I wanted anyway.
Before I placed my first order with them, I got quick e-mail responses to my general questions. But then once I placed some orders later on and attempted to cancel some backordered items through the web site, I e-mailed them saying I had problems. It took them several days to respond and by then my orders had already shipped. Makes me think they were just avoiding me to prevent me from cancelling my order. They also told me there was nothing wrong with their system and that I could have cancelled on the web site, but it sure didn't work for me, and I tried several times.

But I am glad they went ahead and got all the backordered stuff. Considering there was only 1 copy left of a couple DVDs I ordered in the Savings Central, they could have just cancelled the order if they wanted.
Old 03-01-02, 10:59 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Well, we shall see what happens with my order, I just placed an order today for 2 70% off dvds, and $.99 shipping for each dvd this morning. This afternoon i received shipping confirmation. We shall see when/if the package arrives i guess

todd