DVD Talk
Deep Discount DVD and release dates question. [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Deep Discount DVD and release dates question.

BassDude
02-19-02, 02:54 PM
Okay...my son is a total Harry Potter freak and I KNOW I will have ta have this DVD on day one. (Imagine the horror of his friend having it before him...)

How is DeepDiscountDVD at getting things out by or before the street date?

I used to preorder back in the day (late 1999/early 2000) but with a FRY'S Electronics close by, my B&M deals have been so good I've become a B&M shopper. (Mainstream titles only.) I've used DDD before, but never for a preorder.

$16.89 with free shipping will probably beat any B&M deal so I'm considering the pre-order if they are usually reliable on street dates. Whaddaya say?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

JBabbitt
02-19-02, 02:59 PM
$16.89 and free shipping is a decent deal, but both BB and CC will be close to that or at that price. But if you preorder, you will not get it on the first day it hits the street. It will be shipped either that day or the day before.

He Who Lurks No More
02-19-02, 03:02 PM
My most recent DDD experience:

Evil Dead: Book of the Dead Limited Edition

Street Date: March 5

Received: February 19

bstibal
02-19-02, 03:05 PM
I have found that I usually get my order about a week after the release date.

JBabbitt
02-19-02, 03:11 PM
They say on their site or when you call, that you will receive it about a week after the release date.

Merin
02-19-02, 03:22 PM
Sometimes I have received the day before street, sometimes a couple weeks after.

AndyA
02-19-02, 03:28 PM
FYI. I live in Indiana and they ship from Illinois. The several dozen pre-orders I have placed with them I have yet to have one arrive past the release date. On a couple of occasions I have received DVD on a Tuesday of the release. Most all arrive on Saturday before release date. I am pretty sure the ship on Thursday or Friday before release Tuesday.

Hollow Man
02-19-02, 03:29 PM
Ooh, I also preordered my Book of the Dead, and DDD said it shipped last week. Maybe I'll have it waiting for me when I get home from work.

I just figured it would take forever via media mail.

-HM

swfan27
02-19-02, 06:03 PM
I got Book of the Dead today... it shipped on Thursday, meaning it took 4 business days to arrive with free shipping. Two weeks before street date, not bad but an exception obviously. Usually though from the preorders i've done with them which isn't many they ship stuff out about a week before release date and it ends up arriving on the release date plus or minus a day.

Hollow Man
02-19-02, 06:52 PM
Well, I'm home and didn't get my Book of the Dead yet (sniff).

It does seem like there's a good chance I'll see it sometime this week, however, since there are more than a few folk that already received theirs via DDD's free shipping.

In the meantime, you could make me jealous by talking about how cool it is...

-HM

dvdirv
02-19-02, 10:30 PM
Deep Discount is one of the best vendors out there today. When I first ordered from them I was very skeptical (what kind of name is "Deep Discount"?).

After about 4 or 5 months of pre-orders from them, they have proven themselves to be very dependable. I receive most titles on the Saturday or Monday BEFORE street date (I live in Indiana). They will send you e-mail notifying you when your item was shipped, so you can expect it 4-5 days later.

The other terrific thing about Deep Discount is that they have a customer service phone line staffed by REAL people. So if there is a problem with your order, you get immediate attention. I have on occasion cancelled a title and it is just so easy with Deep Discount. Try cancelling a title from other vendors. Many only offer e-mail service so you can't explain your problem to anyone.

Give Deep Discount a try. I think you'll be very pleased :)

kilcher
02-20-02, 01:14 AM
I usually get mine the day before release but I'm only about 2 hours from them.

dablueguy
02-20-02, 02:15 AM
I also normally get titles before release date, but the past couple have been slower. In fact, my pre-order of "The Church" and "Stagefright" (street: 2-19) still show up as pre-orders on my order status. Oh well, nothing lasts forever.

Xytraguptorh
02-20-02, 06:36 PM
I've been having good luck with them too. I always use the free shipping option, but I still get pre-orders before release date. Zombie arrived 4 days before its February 19 release date. Book of the Dead arrived today, and is due to be released March 5. If I lived outside of Illinois, I would possibly consider upgrading to Priority mail, but being in Illinois and paying sales tax on my orders, I always choose free shipping since it more than offsets the cost of the sales tax and media mail doesn't take very long living in the same state.

DDD is by far my favorite retailer.

jetflair
02-20-02, 08:55 PM
Does anyone have any coupon codes for Deep Discount DVD?

Apocrypha
02-21-02, 03:10 PM
Recent Preorder experience from DDD
Awful Truth Season 2 shipped on a Fri before Release date and arrived the following thursday.
I also recently preordered Jayand Silent Bob
FWWM
Bones
all of which release on 2/26 I picked priority shipping so I could receive them promtly. As I look at my email Bones shipped yesterday (free shipping method) then today FWWM and JASBSB were shipped today (Thurs), they also shipped with the free option. So what do you have to do to get preorders shipped priority?
I don't care because its a minor issue my wife has been bragging to her coworkers that we were gonna watch FWWM sat night. Thanks for jinxing me honey. Mine will all probably arrive monday. Media Mail has been averaging 5 6 days lately.

Hollow Man
02-21-02, 03:32 PM
According to DDD's site:

"Priority Mail will apply only to the first shipment of instock items. Subsequent backorder or pre-order shipments will be sent via Standard Delivery."

-HM

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0