Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Circuit City Experience Re: State of Emergency

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-02, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just finally cooled down after dealing with someone in customer service at Circuitcity.com - (Once upon a time...)

Circuit City advertised State of Emergency in their 2/2 Sunday circular for $39.99. Because the item was held back by Rockstar, they listed it again in their 2/9 Sunday circular for the sale price once again with a release day of 2/14. I spoke with five different Circuit City stores to make sure the item didn't come out yet. The told me the new date was either 2/18 or 2/19. In the meantime, I put the item in my basket at Circuitcity.com at the $39.99 price.

I was at a different Circuit city yesterday, and they told me they thought SOE was coming out on Tuesday, but they weren't sure the price would still be $39.99. So I figured I'd just pick it up then, and use the circular as leverage to hopefully get it at the sale price.

I had to go to Best Buy today for something else, and I brought the Circuit City circular "just in case". Lo and behold, they had plenty in stock. Best Buy had the item at the $49.95 price. I asked the Best Buy rep to price match the item and she couldn't do it because the circular was from the week before, and of course Circuit City didn't list the item again in this week's circular.

So I called another Circuit City when I got back home, and they said they didn't have it, and weren't sure when it was coming in. So I figured I'd just order it on line and pick it up at the B&M when it came in sometime next week. When I checked my shopping cart, the price was $49.95 - So I called Circuitcity.com Customer Service. This is where the fun begins:

I explained how the item had been held back by the manufacturer and the price in my shopping cart had gone back up to full price. I also made her aware that the item was never available while the "sale" was in effect. So I asked her what my options were. She replied "What options?"

I figured if the item was on sale, but was never available, the sale price would be honored when it did become available. Evidently this isn't a reasonable request. She informed me that I had "missed the sale" and I was out of luck. I asked to speak to a supervisor, and she told me that a supervisor would tell me the same thing. I told her that was fine, and I'd like to hear it from them. She said she'd have to get my name and number and have someone get back to me. I told her that I'd be glad to give my name and number if I could speak to a supervisor right now. She said she couldn't "guarantee" that would happen but wanted to document the call. However she said that if I gave my name and number, she'd put me through to a supervisor. So I said "so you're saying that if I give my name and number, you'll put me right through to a supervisor?" Then she said "I didn't say that". I started getting really angry about the way I was being treated. As I tried to speak, she basically talked over me and became rude about the situation. She accused me of being rude because I called her on lying about the supervisor situation. Essentially, I felt they weren't going to have any supervisor call me back today, and I didn't feel like giving my personal information to someone who wasn't helping me to get the issue resolved. I asked her for her name and operator number and she gave me her name (probably a fake one), I told her I'd include that in my letter to corporate, and I hung up on her.

I did find another number to corporate, which I'll try on Tuesday. This situation will more than likely affect those who were hoping to get SOE at the sale price. The more disappointing part about it, is that if I had gone to Best Buy yesterday, they would have price matched. I didn't think they'd have it yet either. I appreciate your listening to my rant, I needed to vent about this!
Old 02-17-02, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I knew this would have happened to me if I waited on Circuit City to get any in stock. On Friday, Babbage's told me the only copies I had were for pre-orders. Best Buy and Circuit City both had nothing. So I took this week's ad from the entrance Circuit City when I left. I then headed across the street to Toys R Us armed with my ad. There it was on the shelf - got it for $39.99+tax, no problems.
Old 02-17-02, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It will be on sale at Best Buy next week for $39 so buy it now then price match it next week plus the 10% of the difference.
Old 02-17-02, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by badlieut
It will be on sale at Best Buy next week for $39 so buy it now then price match it next week plus the 10% of the difference.
Thanks! You're talking about the week of 2/24?
Old 02-18-02, 02:29 AM

At Target for $39.99 this week?

Isn't this game on sale for $39.99 at Target this week?
Old 02-18-02, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you try for a rain check?
Old 02-18-02, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yep, the week of 2/24 it will be on sale at BB.
Old 02-18-02, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Since I work at CC, I can tell you I must get about 10 calls a day from customers looking for this game. No locations have been able to get any in, making us look like fools since everyone else has State of Emergency. We were schedule to get our first shipment today.

Regarding the circulars, they're made like a month in advance so we can't possibly anticipate delays. 39.99 is a loss leader on a new game so I can see why the online store wouldn't want to price match it now that the sale is over, although they should have in my opinion. I'm not sure what the individual stores will be doing, but I'll find out later today.
Old 02-18-02, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for all your help. At least I have a few options now!
Old 02-19-02, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just a brief follow up to those interested. I spoke with Circuit City corporate today and she agreed to reduce the price to $39.99 if I ordered online. However, she informed me that video games were not available for in-store pick up. So essentially, I'd get a price adjustment for $10 after I ordered, but have to pay for shipping.

So I took bmarquardt's tip and ran over to Target and grabbed it for $39.99 there. Therefore, the saga is over, but I'll think twice before I rely on Circuit City for any sale items. Thanks again for all your suggestions!