Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only Dark Shadows thread (renamed for your pleasure)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only Dark Shadows thread (renamed for your pleasure)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-02, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OMG - DARK SHADOWS Eps 1-40 5/28!!!!

To see it is to love it - One of the most bizarre daytime shows ever made is listed up here for a 28th May release at the fantastic list price of $59.95. DDD discount brings that down to $43.19 - a little more than a dollar an episode.

I can’t tell you how jazzed I am about this awesome news.
Old 02-16-02, 04:19 AM

Amazon lists MSRP as 69.99

Studio: Mpi Media Group
DVD Release Date: May 28, 2002
Run Time: 960 minutes

Unfortunately, no specs available...
Old 02-16-02, 02:42 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
This is excellent news! I've loved Dark Shadows since I saw it years ago on the sci-fi channel.
Old 02-16-02, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by Ashirg
Amazon lists MSRP as 69.99

Studio: Mpi Media Group
DVD Release Date: May 28, 2002
Run Time: 960 minutes

Unfortunately, no specs available...
It may be a good idea to pre-order from DDD if they have they MSRP wrong. You can always cancel it later if you get a better price!
Old 02-16-02, 07:51 PM
Defunct Account

Good idea Jimmy, I did it.

-Videophile who has is having a hard time believing that he has just ordered a soap opera on DVD.
Old 02-18-02, 03:42 PM
Cool New Member

which episodes?!

So now dvdfile has a release news blurb about this.
It says "first season", but do you think this will start at the intro of barnabas or what?
Old 02-18-02, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts
I've never seen Dark Shadows, but I've always been curious. And that price certainly makes it tempting...
Old 02-18-02, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From ShadowGram, the official Dark Shadows newsletter:
MPI Home Video is planning to issue original and unedited DS episodes in the DVD format beginning in May/June, with a 4-disc set containing a total of 40 episodes (10 per disc). The DVD releases will begin with Episode 210, the introduction of Barnabas.

Further 4-disc sets are anticipated every 3 months. There are no plans to release single disc versions at this time. Each release will contain bonus material, including new interviews with the DS actors and Dan Curtis, plus other features. The sets will retail for the suggested price of $59.98.
I guess once they've released all the episodes, they will go back and release the pre-Barnabas ones.
Old 02-18-02, 08:27 PM
Cool New Member

Wow... great.
So lets see. (1200 episodes) / (40 episodes/set)
= 30 sets.

30 sets * $60/set = $1800 full price of the series.
30 sets * $42/set = $1260 at DDD prices.

(30 sets*3 months) = 90 months = 7.5 years to release
~$168 a year for my fix.

So quick question for the more die-hard fans... I got hooked
on the first 15 volumes or so at my local blockbuster which had them for rent. I liked what i saw, so i'm sure to pick up the first few sets, but I'm curious if there's a point at which the show started to go downhill? or are all 1200 episodes worth watching? ;-)
Old 02-18-02, 08:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to watch that show in 1975 when I was 5 and lived in Cleveland. At that age, I can recall being quite scared quite often.
Old 03-04-02, 09:04 PM
Cool New Member

cover photo available at amazon:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
Old 03-04-02, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This could begin to get very expensive as they release all episodes......But then again I'm so happy with the news I hardly care! Woopie!!!!!!!!!

BTW: Just ordered it from DDD!!!!!!

Last edited by Vampyr; 03-04-02 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-04-02, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Amazon already has Set Two up for pre-order, with a release date of July 30th.

Just two months after Set One!

Last edited by RobCA; 03-05-02 at 12:31 AM.
Old 03-04-02, 09:52 PM
Cool New Member

I saw set 2 on amazon too. I'd love to see a picture. It seems like set 1 does not have any obvious signs that it is the first box. That's sort of lame.

EDIT: duh. i see it now. It's towards the bottom in White.
still, I hope there's a big #1 on the side panel
Old 03-05-02, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

RobCa please edit out the referral in your link.
Old 03-05-02, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by jonathan.e
RobCa please edit out the referral in your link.
Sorry, I didn't even know that it put that in there. It's fixed now.

Rob
Old 03-05-02, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just spoke with DDD customer service and asked if they will soon be adding Set 2 to the pre-order list. The CSR said that she would send a request to have it added if there is enough interest.

It may be a good idea if everyone interested calls them to ask for it to be added.

Just my .02
Old 05-28-02, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by cynthia
From ShadowGram, the official Dark Shadows newsletter:I guess once they've released all the episodes, they will go back and release the pre-Barnabas ones.
Were the pre-Barnabas episodes boring?
how many seasons was this show on before Barnabas shows up?

I'm just curious because I haven't seen this show since the mid 80s when it was airing on PBS. This was my favorite show when I was about 10 years old, I just have no idea what part of the show I was watching then.

I do remember the last episode I saw vaguely.....someone, I think Angelique, was trying to summon/conjure/whatever Satan and the episode ended with the doors flying open and she looked at whoever was there with horror......
for some reason I never saw from there on......maybe PBS stopped airing it....I do remember they got a lot of angry letters from silly parents who didn't think PBS should be showing such an evil show....

I did catch an episode on the scifi channel when I went to visit my mom in January.....she watched the show after school when she was a kid. We both laughed at how horribly bad the show looks now. The production values were really poor: zooms that go out of focus, actors tripping over lines, etc (at least in that one episode I caught).......definitely very dated, but I know I can still get hooked on it. I am anxiously awaitng my dvds.

Last edited by garmonbozia; 05-25-03 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-29-02, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DARK SHADOWS started to go downhill for ME about episode 700...the earlier ones are very fun but by that time the stories started getting repetitious and some of the best characters were gone. However, the later ones are still OK. It took me ELEVEN YEARS to watch all 1225 shows! Now, I'm starting over with the great new DVD sets. By the way, I think that MPI will follow the pattern they did on VHS and release 40 shows every 2 months, making it take 4.5 years for the whole thing, or exactly how long the show was on the air (5 shows a week).

I'd also like to see the 1991 Ben Cross revival series on DVD, but rest assured it will happen at some point.
Old 05-30-02, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I received this e-mail from mpi this morning -

http://www.darkshadowsdvd.com/dvd.asp

The summer BBQ season is drawing near and MPI is cooking up some special savings for you! Through June 14th, you can get up to $35 off all purchases through www.mpihomevideo.com. Simply visit www.mpihomevideo.com and input the appropriate coupon code below during the checkout section to enjoy the savings.

Coupon Code: "hv0600" for $5 off $25
Coupon Code: "hv0601" for $15 off $50
Coupon Code: "hv0602" for $35 off $100

not bad with the coupon!
Old 05-30-02, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got my dvds last night. I posted my initial reaction in the thread in the DVDReview forum.

Steve Phillips (or anyone else who might know),

Do you know when the show started to be filmed in color? about what episode number? The episodes I saw when I was a kid were in color and I was just curious.

Also does anyone know about what episode number...
Spoiler:

the show went back in time?

thanks for any help.
Old 05-30-02, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by boc4ever
I received this e-mail from mpi this morning -

http://www.darkshadowsdvd.com/dvd.asp

The summer BBQ season is drawing near and MPI is cooking up some special savings for you! Through June 14th, you can get up to $35 off all purchases through www.mpihomevideo.com. Simply visit www.mpihomevideo.com and input the appropriate coupon code below during the checkout section to enjoy the savings.

Coupon Code: "hv0600" for $5 off $25
Coupon Code: "hv0601" for $15 off $50
Coupon Code: "hv0602" for $35 off $100

not bad with the coupon!
Anyone know anything about the Dark Shadows Special Edition DVD listed there? Is it included with the boxset?

- Jeff
Old 05-30-02, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Originally posted by garmonbozia

Also does anyone know about what episode number...
Spoiler:

the show went back in time?

thanks for any help.
Spoiler:
There were several story lines that involved time travel and "parallel" time (dimensional travel). The first one is pretty early on after Barnabas appears (when Victoria Winters goes back in time and is accused of being a witch). I'm pretty sure those are B&W.

Sorry, I don't remember when they switched to color. I would guess late in '68.

I tried searching online for some info, but gave up on it. There is a very good book containing everything you could ever want to know about DS called The Dark Shadows Companion: 25th Anniversary Collection.

Last edited by Dimension X; 05-30-02 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-30-02, 12:47 PM

Hello!

I have been lurking here for a while and I have finally found a thread where I can make a contributution. I am by no means an expert, but I think I can answer a couple of questions.

The pre-Barnabas episodes are still very gothic, but they much more resemble a traditional soap. The only supernatural phenomena are some "ghost" visits. It mostly revolves around a murderous child (David) and his father (Roger). The series definitely picks up after Barnabas' introduction and really hits its pace in the first extended flashback, which shows how Barnabas came to be a vampire.

I seem to recall that they switched to color not too long after the Barnabas introduction. My guess would that the last few eps of the first set or the first few of the second set should start the color run.

As far as when the show started to go downhill, that's a pretty subjective thing. For me it wasn't until maybe the last couple years or so. Probably starting with the introduction of Quentin Collins and continuing through the "parallel time" eps. If you can hold out to the end, it is interesting to see how they end the show. It's very obvious that they were cancelled abruptly. They have a voice-over that wraps up the plot of the current arc. A kind of "...and they all lived happily ever after" thing. And that's it. We never find out what happend to the original characters or anything. Bizarre.

Garmonbozia, you are right about the production values, but for me it actually makes it better. It's very camp. I can recall entire lines of dialog that are completely inaudible because of an extended offstage coughing fit. I guess video tape was expensive then.

Also, I have a question. Many of the eps shown on Sci Fi were on B/W film. Was it (is it) customary to do a show on tape and on film? I will also be interested to know if any of the eps on the new sets are film. They are easy to discern (aside from the "film" look), because the soundtrack is poor compared to the reqular eps.

I hope this is of some help.

Cheers,

Hondo
Old 05-30-02, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Originally posted by Hondo
I seem to recall that they switched to color not too long after the Barnabas introduction. My guess would that the last few eps of the first set or the first few of the second set should start the color run.
Are you sure about this? Each set of 40 episodes equals about 2 months. The second set will only bring us 4 months into the Barnabas episodes.

I remember the first time travel story arc being B&W. I think the whole Barnabas being cured by Julia story (used as the basis for House of Dark Shadows) was also B&W, but I might be wrong.

The first Angelique episodes are in color aren't they? These are the ones with the flashback to Barnabas becoming a vampire (I think). I would guess that we have closer to ten sets of B&W episodes before the color ones start.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.