Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Dreamcast Disc Problem Question Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-02, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dreamcast Disc Problem Question Help

Help! I just got a game (Blue Stinger) brought it home, and instead of the game loading, the DC menu loads up ( settings, music, etc.) The disc is mint- no scratches. My other 12 games play fine, just this one. Should I take it back? Thanx!
Old 02-15-02, 09:26 PM

There was a bad batch of Blue Stinger that was released in September of 99. Yours sounds like it is one of the bad ones. You should exchange it for another copy.
Old 02-15-02, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dreamcasts are really sensitive. One time I sat and cleaned a disc for about 15 minutes with my sweater sleeve before it played, and then it didn't have many problems afterward. Other discs played. Maybe it's just mine.
Old 02-15-02, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got it @ EB preowned. Will they give me a hassle?
Thanx!
Old 02-16-02, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have a few games that my DC has a really hard time detecting Jedi Power Battles is one of them, along with a few others. I cleaned the lens and it still doesn't help. I just have to keep opening and closing the lid until it finally reads that there is a disc present.... Then other games it picks right up. Like Sonic and Rayman. The discs are NOT scratched up nor dirty so I have no idea what it's problem is! I guess it just doesn't like certain games. Any ideas here?!?!
Old 02-16-02, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah take it back to EB and exchange it I think you might have gotten the "bad" batch of GD's like ecw said, but I'm not sure what their exchange policy is on preowned, I think its guaranteed or they'll exchange it for another one.

Speaking of loading problems, I had a weird one when I got to the 4th disc of Shenmue II, after it shows the intro movie of the disc it should have loaded the next area but instead it went a black screen and said: "ERROR UNABLE TO LOAD 3DVTEXTURE.DLL" or something like that, it was pretty weird I had to keep resetting and it got through eventually after about 3 tries. If you can't get your game to work....what I found was that if you turn your DC upside down and then power the system on it will usually fix the problem. You'll have to play with the system upside down there but it works just like new. I have to do this with my 1st Skies of Arcadia disc, it won't load any other way for some strange reason. I got the last one at Best Buy so I can't exchange it either.

If turning the system upside down doesn't work.....then maybe Breakfast with Girls will be kind enough to let us borrow his sweater .
Old 02-16-02, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ecwfan is definitely correct, there were bad batches of Blue Stinger when it first came out... it made big news when it happened.
Old 02-16-02, 09:18 PM

I returned a game with nothing wrong with it, just I didn't like it. No problem at all they just let me pick out a new game, its a cool return policy! Although I wonder what thier selling as new ?

Last edited by Thrillhouse; 02-16-02 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-16-02, 11:16 PM

I have no idea why I know this (I only bought my Dreamcast about 8 months ago), but the good batches have orange "Hot New" stickers on the shrink wrap. I doubt that will help you with preowned stuff, though.

Good luck!