Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

cdnow warning

Old 02-15-02, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cdnow warning

with all those coupons going around... it seems whenever i clicked on one of those links, it gets me into someone else's account.

the email i got said it wasn't transferable, so i recommend people pulling their links, just a heads up
Old 02-15-02, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, what the hell is going on with CDNow lately?

A week ago, I had an order with over $300 worth of product in it. I cancelled one item in the order and -- you guessed it -- the system cancelled the entire order EXCEPT that one item, which shipped that day. Nice. (And great for business in general, I might add.)

Now people are reporting (in the Store forum) that CDNow's system has started cancelling preordered titles that stay in your order for too long.

And today, there seem to be a ton of 15-25% off coupons floating around that don't work... and some are giving other people's CC info?!?

Have they completely fallen apart over there? They've been around for a long time... why would their systems start having all of these wacky problems now?
Old 02-15-02, 03:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A week ago, I had an order with over $300 worth of product in it. I cancelled one item in the order and -- you guessed it -- the system cancelled the entire order EXCEPT that one item, which shipped that day. Nice. (And great for business in general, I might add.)
The same thing happened to me in November. You'd think they would fix that by now.

I guess if you're going to cancel part of your order, you'd be better off calling customer service.
Old 02-15-02, 03:20 PM

Re: cdnow warning

Originally posted by jes57
with all those coupons going around... it seems whenever i clicked on one of those links, it gets me into someone else's account.

the email i got said it wasn't transferable, so i recommend people pulling their links, just a heads up
In all honesty, this happened to me there like 2 years ago. I emailed back an forth for a few WEEKS but NOBODY cared. A friend had sent me a link to a CD -- which included a session id, his name, address, and credit card information.

And they didn't care. Crappy.

(I don't know if it's still as bad)
Old 02-15-02, 03:25 PM

That happened to me recently when I cancelled Oz and that cancelled the whole order. However, they promptly reinstated the rest of the order with 15% off coupons and all with ease on the phone. While CDNOW does have its faults, customer service via telephone is not one of them as they are always easy to access (no waiting) and helpful
Old 02-15-02, 05:17 PM

They were not at all helpful on the phone when I canceled one item and they sent it to me and canceled the rest of the order instead. They refused to reinstate the order. I canceled my other large pending order with them and I don't plan to use them again.
Old 02-15-02, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

...and they now charge TAX !!
Old 02-15-02, 05:58 PM

Only in nine states. One of which is, unfortunately, Illinois.
Old 02-15-02, 06:45 PM

Originally posted by Glennica
They were not at all helpful on the phone when I canceled one item and they sent it to me and canceled the rest of the order instead. They refused to reinstate the order. I canceled my other large pending order with them and I don't plan to use them again.
heh, when that happened to me the other day they reinstated the order practically before I could ask them to... I refreshed my order page and it showed up as fixed immediately
Old 02-16-02, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by bboisvert
Wow, what the hell is going on with CDNow lately?

Now people are reporting (in the Store forum) that CDNow's system has started cancelling preordered titles that stay in your order for too long.

And today, there seem to be a ton of 15-25% off coupons floating around that don't work... and some are giving other people's CC info?!?

Have they completely fallen apart over there? They've been around for a long time... why would their systems start having all of these wacky problems now?
I've been able to cancel parts of an order before with no problem. But what bothers me now is if you make a bunch of pre-orders with different release dates, they ship the first one and cancel the rest of the order. It just happened to me....
Old 02-16-02, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One big thing that you should watch for in your order history is to see if the prices are the same when you bought them. I preordered AI and training day and they showed up at totally different prices in the order history.
Old 02-18-02, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, on the last order CDnow shipped to me the 15% off coupon was not applied. When I called the CSR, she gave me some crap that I already had a discount (the pre-order discount). She refused to credit me the difference.
That is my last order from CDnow. I've used them for a while, but they are getting troublesome lately.

Last edited by ellone; 02-18-02 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-06-02, 03:24 AM

Sign of the end?

Since they don't have coupons (which is usually a sign of imminent demise since no customers) I was wondering if anyone knew when CDNow was having their closing sale? 800.com and Reel were great in their day, but now it looks like goodbye to CDNow. I haven't placed an order with them in months since they canned the points, coupons and reasonable shipping rates. Also they screwed up badly on all my last orders. I'm still awaiting a refund on one order from November...

Any suggestions on where to shop for international orders?
Old 03-06-02, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's a 10% off coupon for CDNOW:

http://www.cdnow.com/coty
Old 03-09-02, 04:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I pre-ordered a DVD from them about a month ago.. A day later, I decided to cancel the order, because a new 20% coupon had come out.. The order never cancelled, and I got my "Order shipped" statement today. I never ended up re-ordering the movie, because by the time the 20% coupon came out, they'd raised the price of the movie. So in the end, it sort of worked out for the best. But you're telling me that they can't handle a cancellation a month in advance? This is the 2nd time this has happened to me with them, and the first time, I ended up eating the shipping charges to return it. Customer lost forever, this was their second chance, which they miserably failed.