Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Finally, a Star Wars: Racer Revenge Review

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-02, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Finally, a Star Wars: Racer Revenge Review

Gamers.com finally has a review for this game and it is from the Official Playstation Magazine. It must have gotten 4/5 because the rating is an 8 on Gamers (and OPM uses a 5 disc review approach). I will now open it and play it and give some impressions later tonight or tomorrow.
Old 02-14-02, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks AgtFox, I look forward to your review.. I was just about to post a link to the Gamers.com review and read your post.

Btw - Did you like ATV Offroad or Splashdown for the PS2? They were made by the same company and I liked them but felt they were missing something that just didn't make me really want to go back and play them much.

http://www.gamers.com/game/1066385
Old 02-15-02, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I played this game for roughly 2 hours last night. It is a pretty fun game. The speed of the game is amazing, depending on what view you are on (there are 5 or 6 views you can use) you actually feel like you're going super fast.

This game makes you want to knockout opponents. If you KO opponents you get extra money to upgrade your podracer after the race is done.

The graphics are pretty good. So far the stages have been exciting but don't seem very full. There's loops (the second stage there's a part where you are going through tubes and can do a whole loop around) and shadows and stuff, but the screen just doesn't look that full in my opinion. During the introduction of the race where the announcer talks about the track there is quite a bit of pop-up. There is one level that has volumetric fog used in it and I'm not sure if it's used so there aren't so many things on the screen or it is used for actual effect. Other than that specific race I have not seen any sort of noticable pop-up.

The game has no slowdown that I have noticed. You can choose from 18 racers total from my understanding and you can race as the older Anakin Skywalker.

A lame part of the game is the voices. I'm racing as Anakin and he keeps saying something like, "No one beats a Jedi" and some such. The announcer is usually quiet but comes in with things every once in a while.

The sound of the podracers themselves is pretty cool and it's nice to hear it on a nice sound system.

So far I'd give it an 8/10 although I don't think it is for everybody. I have not played ATV or Splashdown and I have not gotten to the water levels in Racer yet. They supposedly have great graphics and water effects much like Splashdown.