Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

PS2 Online Strategy and Game Titles announced (Resident Evil NOT exclusive to GC??!?)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PS2 Online Strategy and Game Titles announced (Resident Evil NOT exclusive to GC??!?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-02, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/324/324570p1.htmlPS2 Online Titles and Details Announced
Resident Evil Online and other high profile titles on their way. Full list inside.

February 13, 2002 - Sony dropped a bombshell this morning when it announced a number of high profile titles for PS2's upcoming Japanese online service in its third PlayStation Meeting event.
A total of 30 online projects were announced at the conference. Note that many publishers didn't commit to exact game titles yet and only announced what genres the titles will fall under. Interestingly, despite its exclusivity agreement with Nintendo, Capcom is in fact developing an online title in the Resident Evil (Bio Hazard) franchise for the PS2. But without much further ado, here's the list:

Massively Multiplayer Online RPG (Atlus)
The Dungeon of Doruaga (Arika)
Auto Modellista (Capcom)
Bio Hazard [working title] (Capcom)
Tokyo Highway Battle Online (Genki)
Nobunaga's Ambition Online RPG [working title] (Koei)
Music Game [working title] (Konami)
Sports Game [working title] (Konami)
Shogi Dojo 24 [working title] (Success)
Soreyuke! Karaoke Heaven (Success)
Final Fantasy XI (Square)
Guru Guru Onsen PS2 [working title] (Sega)
Simulation [working title] (Sega)
Hundred Swords (Sega)
Race [working title] (Sega)
Arc the Lad Online [working title] (SCE)
Kuma Uta [Bear Song] (SCE)
Gran Turismo Online [working title] (SCE)
Minna no Golf Online (SCE)
Mojibu Ribbon [working title] (SCE)
Network Board Game [working title] (Takara)
Multiplayer Action Adventure [working title] (Tecmo)
Table Game [working title] (Tomy)
Clockwork Online [working title] (Namco)
New Action Adventure Game [working title] (Namco)
3D Flight Shooting [working title] (Namco)
Namco Sports Online [working title] (Namco)
Project Venus [working title] (Namco)
Bomberman Online [working title] (Hudson)
Armored Core Sigma Project [working title] (From Software)
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to guess some of the as of yet unnamed titles from Konami, Sega, and Namco -- but we shall refrain from speculating for now.

Sony also explained the functionality of its "Broadband Navigator," which opens up the world of the Internet for PlayStation 2 owners in Japan. Here's a quick overview of the Navigator's main features:

PS Emulator / PS2 Player: plays PlayStation and PlayStation 2 software downloaded from the network.
Mail / Instant Message: send email and instant messages to other users.
PlayStation Jukebox: play back music downloaded from the network and stored on your hard drive.
Real Player: enjoy streaming video content on your PS2 via this media player app also available on PCs and Mac (developed by US-based Real Networks).
In addition to the growing list of broadband compatible titles, SCE also revealed partnerships with four large Japanese Internet service providers, Fujitsu's Nifty, NEC's Biglobe, Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corp. SCE President Ken Kutaragi told reporters and developers at the conference that with the help of these four partners, PlayStation BB would be able to reach more than 90 percent of Japan's broadband users.

The Sony broadband online service is scheduled for April in Japan. We will have more details from Japan soon.

Other links:
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...847592,00.html
http://sony.cloudchaser.com/news/index.php?view=244
http://www.thegia.com/news/0202/n13a.html

Last edited by Grimfarrow; 02-13-02 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-13-02, 08:16 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

What in the heck are we supposed to do in RE Online? Am I supposed to play a zombie? Maybe I can go hide, jump out from behind a rock, and yell "booga booga!".

And the entire RE franchise was never exclusive to the Cube. Just certain RE games.
Old 02-13-02, 08:33 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Flay
What in the heck are we supposed to do in RE Online? Am I supposed to play a zombie? Maybe I can go hide, jump out from behind a rock, and yell "booga booga!".

And the entire RE franchise was never exclusive to the Cube. Just certain RE games.

I don't see how it would work either. Maybe it will be a first person shooter or something. I mean they already have the crappy RE Survivor light gun type games.

And you're right about the exclusivity. The recent "reconfirmation" of the gamecube exclusive that I posted a few days ago clearly said that RE 0,1, 2, Nemisis, and 4 would be GCN exclusives. (really only the remake of 1 and 0 and 4 are exclusives as 2 and nemesis were out on the PSX and Dreamcast)
Old 02-13-02, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

RE wouldn't be my first pick for an online game but I certainly can see a few ways they could go with it.

There isn't much on the list that's worth getting a modem and HD for but we'll see how they develop. FFXI is the only game that I really wanted but the more I hear the more my desire to have it fades. Bomberman Online would be nice cause my wife loves that games.

I never got into many online games on my PC but I'm willing to give it a shot on the PS2. I hope they have some really amazing stuff when they are finished.
Old 02-13-02, 09:00 PM

Remember that this is the Japan launch. As such, games such as "Tony Hawk Online", "Grand Theft Auto Online" and "Twisted Metal Online" were not on the list. All three titles have been reported as in development for the PS2. Should be interesting to see what the US announcement looks like.
Old 02-13-02, 10:00 PM

Originally posted by Flay
You'd think it be exclusive when the creator said "I want players to only have to have one system to play the game, not buy multiple consoles just to play." when they made the announcement.

Good times.

Last edited by Mattalos; 02-13-02 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-14-02, 12:28 AM

Re: PS2 Online Strategy and Game Titles announced (Resident Evil NOT exclusive to GC??!?)

Originally posted by Grimfarrow

Bio Hazard [working title] (Capcom)

Mojibu Ribbon [working title] (SCE)

Yeah I'm not sure how RE would work as an online title either, it doesn't seem like a good choice. But capcom did make puzzle game out of street fighter so you never know what to expect from them.

This other title Mojibu Ribbon...I don't see how it works as an online title either. I have Vib Ribbon (the prequel to this game) and you use your own music CD's to create the levels (very cool!) but how the heck would you do that online? Stream the audio? Might be cool. I hope they also concentrate on non online games too, online is nice but I also like good single player games.