Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Waylon Jennings died

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Waylon Jennings died

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-02, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Waylon Jennings died

Today in Arizona....on NBC News now, I'm trying to find more info.
Old 02-13-02, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wed Feb 13, 6:41 PM ET
FILE--Country music legend Waylon Jennings is shown in Nashville, Tenn., in this Aug. 1999 file photo. Jennings, who defined the outlaw movement in country music, died Wednesday, Feb. 13, 2002, at his home in Arizona, after a long battle with diabetes-related health problems. He was 64. (AP Photo/Mark Humphrey, file)
Old 02-13-02, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp.../obit_jennings

Country Great Waylon Jennings Dead
Wed Feb 13, 6:55 PM ET
By JIM PATTERSON, Associated Press Writer

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Waylon Jennings, who defined the outlaw movement in country music, died Wednesday after a long battle with diabetes-related health problems. He was 64.

Jennings spokeswoman Schatzie Hageman said Jennings died peacefully at his home in Arizona.

Jennings, a singer, songwriter and guitarist, recorded 60 albums and had 16 No. 1 country singles in a career that spanned five decades and began when he played bass for Buddy Holly. He was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in October.

He had been plagued with diabetes-related health problems in recent years that made it difficult for him to walk. In December, his left foot was amputated at a Phoenix hospital.

Jennings and his wife, singer Jessi Colter, sold their home in Nashville more than a year ago and moved to Chandler, Ariz.

In 1959, his career was nearly cut short by tragedy soon after it began.

He was scheduled to fly on the light plane that crashed and killed Holly, Ritchie Valens and J.P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson. Jennings gave up his seat on the plane to the Richardson, who was ill and wanted to fly rather than travel by bus with those left behind.

With pal Willie Nelson, Jennings performed duets like "Mammas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys," "Luckenbach" and "Good Hearted Woman." Those 1970s songs nurtured a progressive sound and restless spirit embraced later by Travis Tritt, Charlie Daniels, Steve Earle and others.

His resonant, authoritative voice also was used to narrate the popular TV show "The Dukes of Hazzard." He sang its theme song, which was a million seller.

"I aimed the narration at children and it made it work," he said in a 1987 AP interview.

He traditionally wore a black cowboy hat and ebony attire that accented his black beard and mustache. Often reclusive when not on stage, he played earthy music with a spirited, hard edge. Combined, Jennings had a well-defined image that matched well with his history of battling record producers to do music his way.

About his independence, he said: "There's always one more way to do something — your way."

Some of his album titles nourished his brash persona: "Lonesome, On'ry and Mean," "I've Always Been Crazy," "Nashville Rebel," "Ladies Love Outlaws" and "Wanted: The Outlaws."

He often refused to attend music awards shows on grounds performers should not compete against each other. Despite those sentiments, Jennings won two Grammy awards and four Country Music Association awards. He did not attend his induction into the Country Music Hall of Fame last year.

For about 10 years, he declined to appear on the Grand Ole Opry because a full set of drums was forbidden at the time. That rule was eventually dropped.

In 1992, he told the AP: "I've never compromised, and people respect that."

Of his outlaw image, he said: "It was a good marketing tool. In a way, I am that way. You start messing with my music, I get mean. As long was you are honest and up front with me, I will be the same with you. But I still do things my way."

Born in Littlefield, Texas, Jennings became a radio disc jockey at 14 and formed his own band not long afterward.

He and Holly were teen-age friends in Lubbock, Texas, and Jennings was in Holly's band.

"Mainly what I learned from Buddy was an attitude," Jennings said. "He loved music, and he taught me that it shouldn't have any barriers to it."

By the early 1960s Jennings was playing regularly at a nightclub in Phoenix. In 1963, he was signed by Herb Alpert's A&M Records, then was signed by RCA in Nashville shortly thereafter by Chet Atkins. Once in Nashville, he and Cash became friends and roommates.

His hit records began in the mid-1960s and his heyday was the mid-1970s.

His "Greatest Hits" album in 1979 sold 4 million — a rare accomplishment in country music for that era.

In the mid-1980s, he joined with Nelson, Johnny Cash and Kris Kristofferson to form the quartet the Highwaymen, which recorded together and did concert tours.

"I'd like to be remembered for my music — not necessarily by what people see when they see us — but what they feel when they talk about you," he said in 1984.

"Some people have their music. My music has me."

His other hit singles included "I'm a Ramblin' Man," "Amanda," "Lucille," "I've Always Been Crazy" and "Rose in Paradise."

He made occasional forays into TV movies, including "Stagecoach" and "Oklahoma City Dolls," plus the Sesame Street movie "Follow That Bird" and the B-movie "Nashville Rebel."

He has said he spent 21 years on drugs and had a $1,500-a-day cocaine habit.

"I did more drugs than anybody you ever saw in your life," he told the Country Music Association's Close Up magazine in 1994.

In 1977, he was arrested at a Nashville recording studio and charged with conspiracy and possession of cocaine with intent to distribute. The charges were later dismissed.

He kicked the habit in 1984 by leasing a house in Arizona and going cold turkey, he said.

He and Colter, his fourth wife, married in 1969. They had one son, Shooter.
Old 02-13-02, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As a West Texas native, this is particularly sad. West Texas musicians have short life-spans: Haggard, Buddy Holly, Roy Orbison.
Old 02-13-02, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damn this sucks.
Old 02-13-02, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn! I loved his cameo role in Maverick. One of the 10 Greatest Country Singers ever!

Over his career he had 16 No. 1 singles (*Duet with Willie Nelson):
<small>This Time & I'm a Ramblin' Man 1974
Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way & Good Hearted Woman* 1975
Luckenbach, Texas (Back to the Basics of Love) & The Wurlitzer Prize (I Don't Want to Get Over You) 1977
I've Always Been Crazy & Mammas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys* 1978
Amanda & Come With Me 1979
I Ain't Living Long Like This & Theme From the Dukes of Hazzard (Good Ol' Boys) 1980
Just to Satisfy You* 1982
Lucille (You Won't Do Your Daddy's Will) 1983
Highwayman with Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash & Kris Kristofferson 1985
Rose in Paradise 1987

Last edited by bigjim25; 02-15-02 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-13-02, 08:24 PM

so sad when the good ones pass.
Old 02-13-02, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

bummer, RIP Waylon
Old 02-13-02, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Old 02-14-02, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
I'm not the least bit a country fan, but this does suck.

I'm one of those people who grew up watching The Dukes Of Hazzard, and two of the most identifiable things about the show were the theme song and narration - both courtesy of Waylon Jennings. I've always liked Waylon because of that.
Old 02-14-02, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sad

He lived like 10 miles from me I guess - didnt know it even.
Old 02-14-02, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Three Day Delay
As a West Texas native, this is particularly sad. West Texas musicians have short life-spans: Haggard, Buddy Holly, Roy Orbison.
Isn't Haggard still alive?
Old 02-14-02, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by gregx55

Isn't Haggard still alive?
Sorry....typo....I meant Jennings.
Old 02-14-02, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Three Day Delay
And he was so close to being included with these guys in the American Pie song. He decided to take a bus instead at the last Minute!

Mama, don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys.
Old 02-14-02, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A finale farewell to one of country music's leading outlaws!

Old 03-20-02, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

MEMORIAL SERVICE FOR WAYLON JENNINGS SET

The memorial service for Waylon Jennings, who died peacefully in his sleep on Wednesday, February 13, will be held at the historic Ryman Auditorium on Saturday, March 23 at 7:30 p.m. Invited family and friends will be seated on the main floor of the Ryman and will enter through the side doors off the Ryman driveway. Limited seating in the balcony will be available for the general public. This service is NOT a ticketed event. The Ryman will admit the general public through the Fourth Avenue North entrance at approximately 7:15 p.m.

NO PHOTOS: At the request of the family, no cameras will be allowed inside the auditorium and all cameras will be held by the Ryman staff until the service concludes.

LIMITED MEDIA: The family has also requested that no professional or amateur print, television or Internet photographers or reporters be allowed inside the Ryman at anytime during the service. An official pool photographer and reporter from the Associated Press have been assigned to cover the service.

FLOWERS: The family has requested that in lieu of flowers, donations be made to the Sue Brewer Fund in care of the Songwriters Guild Foundation (1222 16th Avenue South, 37212) and/or The Mayo Foundation (13400 E. Shea Blvd., Scottsdale, AZ 85259). The Sue Brewer Fund, established by Jennings in October 1984, provides music scholarships for students at Belmont and Vanderbilt Universities. The Mayo Foundation provides funds to children in need of prosthetics. Donations should clearly indicate they are "In Memory of Waylon Jennings."