Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Electronics Boutique Return Policy

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-02, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electronics Boutique Return Policy

I was wondering about the leniency of their return policy if anyone knew. About a week and a half ago I bought a Gameshark 8x memory card for the Dreamcast, but the thing is defective. It saves fine, but whenever it loads, the data is corrupted. Anyways, I bought the thing in Orlando(about 2 hours away), and I don't want to drive that far for only $20. There is another one about 40 minutes away. Will they take it back? And will I be able to get a refund, not an exchange? I tried getting in touch with Gameshark CS, but they have neglected me, ultimately rubbing me the wrong way. So I don't want to deal with them for the time being. I just want my money back, I have some other purchases on the horizon. What do you all think?
Old 02-13-02, 02:10 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They'll definitely exchange it for you, but I'm not sure about a refund. They'd probably give you store credit if you don't want another one, but I doubt they'll give you cash back, or credit your account.
Old 02-13-02, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the input, although I hope you are wrong. No offense. You'd figure that if an item is defective, you could get a refund in order to reinvest elsewhere. We're not talking games or cd's here where if one is bad, it doesn't reflect on all of the same product. But with memory cards, especially a 3rd party Dreamcast card(WHAT WAS I THINKING???) a bad card can speak volumes of the product. So I hope I get a refund, cause I hate the idea of store credit.
Old 02-13-02, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I sent the link of this thread to my friend who works at EB
Old 02-14-02, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cool..much thanks.
Old 02-14-02, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
I thought they had a 14 day return for refund, but after that it would be store credit? At least the last time I returned something it was like that.
Old 02-14-02, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
official word from an associate store manager at EB
you have 14 days. if the item is unopened you can get your money back. if the item is open you can get something else for the same price or more but it is a final sale meaning that you can't return that item you get anymore. you can also get a defective exchange within that 14 days. the only leniency
that i do at our store is i still give people money back on computer hardware since computers are picky and the general customer does not know a dam thing about computers other then the brand name(gateway, dell, etc)
Old 02-14-02, 02:46 PM

I know at Best Buy it depends on the item. Games and software, once opened, can be exchanged within 30 days, but no refund. Equipment is refundable, I think. That gameshark thing would be equipment. They do charge a "re-stocking" fee on certian items.

I can understand the the 'no refund' on games because people would take advantage. But in general, I hate a place that does the store credit deal across the board. It feels like a trap. I just tell the manager or whoever that I'll use the store credit than never shop there again. (Like he/she cares). It's all I can do. I figure if enough people do that it'll make a difference.
Old 02-15-02, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well - I took back the memory card last night. Since it was opened, they offered to give me another memory card. I explained that the card is crap, I don't want one, I just want my money back. But because it was opened, I was refused. After speaking with the manager, one thing was painfully clear. I don't like EB. The item was bought and turned out being defective. I returned it within their required 14 days WITH a receipt, and all they can give me is store credit. On top of that, they had to write down my drivers license info as part of return policy. What kind of crap is that? From now on, I am sticking to major retailers, which interchangeable merchandise, that way I don't get stuck again. And yes Christo - I told the manager that I will use the credit, and never shop their again.
Old 02-15-02, 10:23 AM

What is EB's return policy if you return unopened games you got as gifts? I have a couple games I got for xmas I never got around to returning after xmas.
Old 02-15-02, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dude I used to work at EB, and if you bitch enough up the chain of command you can have your way.

JC
Old 02-15-02, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I sent an email to corporate...I'll let you guys know what they say.
Old 02-16-02, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by mikehunt
official word from an associate store manager at EB
Are you absolutely sure that was from a manager? Managers don't usually misspell words or write "I" as "i" or "You" as "u", not to mention the "dam" thing.
Old 02-16-02, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

yes I'm sure
so he had some typos, he sent it to my via icq, he probably didn't expect me to post the damn part
where does it have u for you?

Originally posted by tygloalex

Are you absolutely sure that was from a manager? Managers don't usually misspell words or write "I" as "i" or "You" as "u", not to mention the "dam" thing.
Old 02-16-02, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

should have said assistant, not associate
mixed up the terms from one of the places I worked
Old 02-17-02, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

EB's return policy is 10 days, with Receipt. Within 10 days they will refund or exchange. after 10 days if they're in a good mood they'll swap it for the same thing.

I worked for EB for 5 years, and near the end the return policy was more strictly enforced because we would find many people doing the BBR (buy, burn, and return), so we'd cut them off on returns.

Hardware like gamesharks they will generally swap for another if its past the return deadline though, because they always go bad heh.

This is orlando btw heh. I"m friends with quite a few of the managers/assistants in town because at some time or another I worked at all the stores here. Which store you returning to? Never know, I might be able to put in a word for ya

Last edited by dgmayor; 02-17-02 at 03:12 AM.
Old 03-04-02, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Update on EB experience

After sending an email to the corporate headquarters, I received a reply from a Supervisor of EB apologizing for the hassle. He asked for my address, which I gave, and he sent me $20 in EB vouchers. Although I still have yet to spend my original EB credit, this helps soften the blow of not getting my cash back. Now the question is, what to get?
Old 03-04-02, 03:33 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by jessecrx
Dude I used to work at EB, and if you bitch enough up the chain of command you can have your way.

JC
Yep, take it far enough and you even get a gift certificate for your troubles. So EB has changed their policy, huh? It used to be you could return anything in saleable condition within 10 days(so if you could still shrinkwrap it and sell it as new, it was all good). Why would anyone ever shop there except for something hard to find anywhere else? When I worked for Waldensoftware(managed by EB), people would buy/price match things because of the return policy.

I just checked their online policy, and it's still the same as before where it just has to be in saleable condition. It's always been left up to the discretion of the managers, so if they really want to be hardasses and have the regional manager or corporate bitch at them and cave in, that's their stress.
Old 03-04-02, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not only did they change the return policy, but their "price match" system works like a rebate. You have to fill out a form and send it in to get the difference.
Old 03-04-02, 06:32 PM

What !?!? Forget that.
Old 03-06-02, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by spankyj
Now the question is, what to get?
A first party memory card.
Old 03-06-02, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Haha....no kidding. 3rd party is mad suck.