Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PS2 or XBOX???

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-02, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PS2 or XBOX???

I am thinking of purchasing one of these systems soon. I just can't deciede between them. Which one is the better one??
please let me know!
thanks
Old 02-11-02, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
KInd of hard to say. I have both and I think I would go with the Xbox if only picking up one system. However the PS2 has a kick ass selection of games all ready.
Old 02-11-02, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It doesn't much matter which one is better from a technical perspective (the XBox obviously!). What really matters is what kind of games you like. I would recommend looking at what is out there now for the PS2 and XBox and what is coming in the future for both systems. If you find that one system has more games that you are interested in or it sounds like one system has longer games that you might be interested in you should pick that system.

You really can't go wrong with either system, they both have a good base of games and at least a few good games coming out in the future. I would do research first though .
Old 02-11-02, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with AgtFox if you like to play sports games I would go with the XBOX, because there are plenty of sports games already out there. But if you want GTA3 or Metal Gear Solid type games PS2 may be the answer. I just got an XBOX and I love it, and I have never owned a PS2. Enjoy, but the way people talk on this board I dont think you can make a bad choice between these 2 systems, they are both VERY capble!

Jordan
Old 02-11-02, 11:24 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Mayman:

What consoles do you already own?

What kinds of games to you like?

Is DVD playback important to you?

How important are graphics?

How much do you want to spend?

Keep in mind that PS2 and XBOX aren't the only two systems in town. In terms of next-generation systems there's always the Gamecube and the Dreamcast. Even a system from the last generation might suit your needs, such as the PSX or N64.
Old 02-11-02, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i agree w/ most of the statements. i have a ps2, and if i were to buy another system today, i'd get the ps2 again b/c of the games that i really want: Gran Turismo 3 and Final Fantasies (+other RPGs like grandia series, lunar, xenogears/saga, chronocross, etc).

but if you don't really want to play those PS2 exclusive games, then the Xbox makes more sense. dvd playback is not really an issue for me. in order to activate the xbox dvd, you need to buy the remote control for $30. but i got the PS2 remote for $20 anyway so the diff is negligible. if the xbox had better games, i would have gotten it already. i'm waiting until the library gets larger (maybe xmas)

btw, the same comments apply to the gamecube. i've never played zelda but i hear it is a decent game. so if the new zelda is very good (yes, i like the new animation style), i may get that too, but only the spice color.

Last edited by young; 02-11-02 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-11-02, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Like the previous posters have indicated, it's all about the games - I have a PS2 (and a Dreamcast) and have really enjoyed the games: Final Fantasy X, Twisted Metal: Black, Half-Life (even finished it), Adventures of Cookie and Cream (excellent cooperation game), Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3, Tekken 3 and Tekken Tag Tournament. The PS2 also enjoys a massive library of PSOne games as well.

To this point the only games I'd buy for the Xbox are Dead or Alive 3 and Halo.
Old 02-11-02, 02:06 PM

Yeah, I agree with pretty much everything that has been said. You need to decide which game types you play the most(RPG, Sports,etc..)and then decide on a system. Xbox definitely has a advantage on hardward, it more powerful and graphics tend to be better, but the PS2 has an expansive library especially when you count the bargain games for the PSX you can still play. Xbox doesn't have many games yet, but hopefully will eventually.
Old 02-11-02, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I will be glad to repeat everything said above.

Check the games. The Xbox is the more powerful console, but the PS2 has some pretty sweet games available. When I made my decision I went with PS2 now and Xbox for the future, but it really depends on what you like. The Xbox is building up its library pretty quickly. The games that swayed me to the PS2 were GTA III (its coming to Xbox in a couple of months), Final Fantasy X, Ace Combat 4, Gran Turismo 3, Metal Gear Solid 2 (coming to Xbox at the end of 2002), and Maximo which is coming out on the 13th I believe. State of Emergency is also looking interesting and of course XenoSaga will be a must buy game when its released.

Right now the PS2 has a huge advantage, but if you are more patient the Xbox may pay off in the long run since it is the more powerful system and many of the PS2 games will eventually find their way to the Xbox. Its up to you to decide that though.

Last edited by darkside; 02-11-02 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-11-02, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Love my XBox
Old 02-11-02, 10:34 PM

I agree that it's just ones taste for games right now that can decide which system to buy.

I think that the PS2 has good graphics and some very good games. But a friend of mine bought a PS2 soley on backwards compatibility being the deciding factor, but the backwards compatibility has lost it's luster very quickly. I guess when you play the great games on the PS2 for a while the older PS1 games look terrible when you play them. Although the exception to that would be just being able to play the FF series, especially FF7.

My decision to by the Xbox went into more depth as my wallet doesn't like overspending.

Here's what I based it on:

Xbox w/HardDrive, Online Gaming = $300
PS2 w/ DVD playback (Controller is the remote)= $300
Gamecube (barebones)= $200

Xbox w/ HardDrive, Online Gaming + DVD playback remote = $320
PS2 w/ HardDrive, Online Gaming + DVD playback remote = $470
Gamecube (Panasonic version) w/ HardDrive (I think), DVD playback =$450

The Xbox has much more bang for your buck and the unmatched A.I. and Graphics are a plus in my book. Another added plus for me is not having to mess with those damned Memory Cards.

Like the others have said, the PS2 has an extensive library of good games, but the Xbox is coming on fast.

Last edited by WOWZY; 02-11-02 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-12-02, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mayman - Had you asked this last week, I probably would have preached the PS2, GameCube, and Dreamcast to you. This weekend I had the chance to check out the Xbox at their touring Odyssey, and the thing is quite amazing. I've been entering all the contests I can to try and win one (my wife would KILL me if I bought one) because I was so impressed by it. I played all types of games on it, and the system can certainly handle its own. Your deciding factor will have to be games, just like everyone else has mentioned. Eventually, I will own a Ps2, if only for GT3. The only reason that I own a PS1 is for GT1 and 2. I've been a nintendo boy my entire life, I recently went Dreamcast and wish I had done so earlier. My advice to you. List what you're looking for in a gaming machine. Do you want to play online with it? What games are you looking for? I could recommend a GameCube to you - but to me, there aren't enough good games to warrant a purchase of it yet. Check out websites, read reviews of games, then decide which machine is best for you. Good luck!, and let us know which you choose!
Old 02-12-02, 09:24 AM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Love my PS2

todd
Old 02-12-02, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Based on the games out right now, I'd go with PS2. But Xbox is still in it's early infancy, and it does look promising. Right now, however, the only game that interests me on Xbox is Halo.
Old 02-14-02, 11:09 PM

I'd go with a PS2 for the games. I have mine modded and it's great. I'm waiting for Xbox to cracked so you can play backed up DVD games. I wonder if they can do it.
Old 02-14-02, 11:39 PM
Retired

No one can really help you with this decision. You simply need to take a look at the exclusive games on each system (both the games out now and ones confirmed for the future) see which one has the most that you consider must-haves, and buy that system.

I can tell you that I only have a Gamecube and plan on getting a PS2 in the future because there are several exclusive on in that I want, where as so far Halo is the only X-box exclusive that interests me. But that's all I can offer. You really just have to look at the games for yourself and make your own decision.