Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Did you USED to like rap?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-02, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I enjoyed rap in the early/mid-80's when I first heard it. Grandmaster Flash, Kurtis Blow, Run-DMC, etc. And I enjoyed some early 90's stuff like De La Soul (I know they are still around). But somewhere along the way... probably with TuPac and that thug CRAP I totally lost interest with rap music in almost all forms. I know if I listened to that 80's stuff now it would sound hopelessly out of date. But I have zero interest in rap today. The only rap CD I bought in the last two years is from Knowdaverbs, because his message is one of complete hope. Did you used to like rap or still like it?
Old 02-09-02, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Still love it, you just have to sift through some of the junk. People like Nelly and Ja Rule are getting pretty annoying. But find people like Atmosphere, Tawib Kweli(Sp?) and other underground acts, and I think you can enjoy it again.
Old 02-09-02, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks Slug... maybe if some of you could mention names of artists who aren't just singing about drugs and sex and money I might like it. Ludacris is from here in Atlanta. I saw him making his last video and actually saw the video on TV last week. The music was kind of catchy, but I HATED his message. Just hated it.
That is what I don't like.
Old 02-09-02, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by atlantamoi
Thanks Slug... maybe if some of you could mention names of artists who aren't just singing about drugs and sex and money I might like it. Ludacris is from here in Atlanta. I saw him making his last video and actually saw the video on TV last week. The music was kind of catchy, but I HATED his message. Just hated it.
That is what I don't like.
I like Ludacris cause I think he is funny.
Old 02-09-02, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I used to like rap about a year or 2 ago. My tastes have changed a lot and I really dislike it now

Old 02-09-02, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked it when I was a little kid and didn't know any better.
Old 02-09-02, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by demonio
I liked it when I was a little kid and didn't know any better.
man I haven't used one of those in along time
Old 02-09-02, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Nope. Always hated it.
Old 02-09-02, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I liked it...then I hated it...then I liked it...then I hated it...now that I have grown and am now older, I have become very eclectic...I like it along with many other kinds of music...

and yes I do like the rap about sex and drugs....

Ludacris is awesome...Snoop Dogg is awesome...I also like many underground hip hop acts (Cannibal OX, Freddie Foxx, etc.)
Old 02-09-02, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
yea.. i liked it when I was younger..before I grew up and realized it was all pretty much crap
Old 02-10-02, 06:21 AM
Mod Emeritus

Re: Did you USED to like rap?

<small>
I enjoyed rap in the early/mid-80's when I first heard it. Grandmaster Flash, Kurtis Blow, Run-DMC, etc.
</small>Still like White Lines and The Message; never heard Kurtis Blow; liked Run-DMC's work with Aerosmith <small>(but have precious little knowledge of the field other than this....)</small>

I have a younger brother who plays "current" 90s rap which seems pointless and unimaginative to me: covering, sampling and cursing doesn't take a great deal of talent IMNSHO.

Fortunately my other siblings have more catholic taste! (Josh, the rap fan, made me a compilation tape at Christmas which I promised to play.... perhaps this afternoon.... ho hum)
Old 02-10-02, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
I like rap music, and have since the mid 80's, but the current crop of rappers are pretty weak. I've heard a few decent things recently, like the Nelly song from the Training Day soundtrack, and "Can't Deny It" by Fabolous, but so much of it anymore is just lame. The only thing that's really impressed me recently has been Jurrasic 5.

When VH1 ran "Cool as Ice" a few months ago, I was amazed that Vanilla Ice was actually a better rapper than most of the clowns out there now.
Old 02-10-02, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
maybe if some of you could mention names of artists who aren't just singing about drugs and sex and money I might like it.
Black Eyed Peas are pretty positive...and a lot of their songs use live instrumentation. They put on a great live show. I like their first disc better than their second, but that's just me. Good stuff.

And for pure positivity, check out the crew LA Symphony (Pigeon John, Flynn, the Eternals, etc.). They are nothing but pure positivity. Plus their beats are rhymes are great. Since you like Knowdaverbs, you may have heard of them - Pigeon John did a song with him on his first album, "The Syllabus."
Old 02-10-02, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone who judges a whole genre of music based on what they hear on MTV isn't worth arguing against.
Old 02-10-02, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I enjoyed Rap of the 80's and 90's, but I can't get into it now because of the "izzo" factor. Mostly, I don't understand what the hell rap tunes such as I.Z.Z.O. (H.O.V.A.) have to do with. What does that mean?
Old 02-10-02, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Never did. Never will.
Old 02-10-02, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally posted by POWERBOMB
I enjoyed Rap of the 80's and 90's, but I can't get into it now because of the "izzo" factor. Mostly, I don't understand what the hell rap tunes such as I.Z.Z.O. (H.O.V.A.) have to do with. What does that mean?
That's a big part of the problem with the new stuff. Another is the endless pointless skits and interludes. Somebody (a producer, if they even have one in the correct sense of the term) needs to sit them down and tell them, "Look, it may have been funny as s*&% when it happened, but nobody will want to hear this on a CD. Trust me."

Endless guest stars can bog things down too much too. If I want to hear Snoop Dogg, I want to hear him, not Snoop Dogg featuring Lil Wee Wee, Boss Cheez Doodle, and the A'mazin' dipdork, with special guest m'i'c'h'a'e'l (remix).
Old 02-10-02, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I used to like rap, then I grew up and starting liking hip-hop
Old 02-10-02, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was really into the early/mid 90's stuff: Dr. Dre, Snoop, Warren G., Nate Dogg, Naughty by Nature, Ice Cube...that new west coast sound was great, so much different than the hard-core basic beats of the late 80's and very early 90's.

Nowadays, I still like that G-Funk stuff (The Chronic is the greatest rap album ever IMO), along with some early 80's stuff (Sugar Hill Gang, etc.). Current groups, well, I like Outkast, and I like what I've heard of the Black Eyed Peas, but rap just doesn't do much for me anymore.
Old 02-10-02, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like some of it.

I actually like Ja Rule.

But I'm more of a fan of wu tang style rap.

Also really big on the blackeye peas and J5.
Old 02-11-02, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Aghama
Anyone who judges a whole genre of music based on what they hear on MTV isn't worth arguing against.
bingo what he said.

Even though Jay Z brought out H to the Izzo as a single doesn't make Blue Print a bad album, that album was great. Izzo was one of the crappiest songs on the cd though.
Old 02-11-02, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
loved cypress hill, and all the old school rappers. hell, I even tolorated Public enemy. they atleast had a message. unlike the (c)rap that is out now a days. screw that new stuff
Old 02-11-02, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by tygloalex
I used to like rap, then I grew up and starting liking hip-hop
Old 02-11-02, 09:30 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by Jason

When VH1 ran "Cool as Ice" a few months ago, I was amazed that Vanilla Ice was actually a better rapper than most of the clowns out there now.
Why were you surprised? Vanilla Ice is a lyrical poet. If rhymin' was a drug he'd sell it by the gram.

I used to like rap. It probably started in the 7th grade with me. I enjoyed Fat Boys, Run DMC, 2 Live Crew, Young MC, AMG, DJ Quik, Hi-C, Vanilla Ice, DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince, early Snoop Dogg, and the like. I'm not down with the H to the izzO, V to the Izza shizzle.
Old 02-11-02, 02:18 PM

For me, rap always had a "C" missing.

Mayniac

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.