Reload this Page >

Convince me to buy a PS2!

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 02-08-02, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a GC a couple months ago and love it so far but the library isn't impressive yet though it should be by the end of this year. The only reason I'm even considering buying a PS2 is for FFX, but there are some other games that interest me such as GTA3 and MGS2. I keep hearing these rumors of a price drop but it doesn't seem like it'll happen anytime soon w/ sony's strong sales. I really really don't want to have to spend $300+ on a new console and memory card. I have a friend with a Costco card, but I've never been to the place before. What kind of deal can you get on one there? they sell bundles there right? The other option I am pondering is perhaps renting the console and FFX (assuming a place even rents out PS2s) and just playing the game to death for the rental period, praying I can beat it in time. I really should be concentrating on my med school studying but I can't resist FFX =)
Old 02-08-02, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

no. Dont!
Old 02-08-02, 05:30 PM

Yes. Do!!
Old 02-08-02, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Buy one so you can ease into the awesomeness that is XBOX without total shock!
Old 02-08-02, 05:42 PM

FFX is IMO the best Final Fantasy yet. It alone is worth the pruchase of a PS2. Since I'm more into quirkier games, the PS2 also suits me better in this regard. What other system can you play games like Rez, Frequency, ICO, and the upcoming Guitaroo-Man and Mister Mosquito????
Old 02-08-02, 06:54 PM
Mod Emeritus

I've heard FFX playing time runs in the 60+ hour range. Personally, if I were you, I'd want to concentrate more on med school since it's costing you so much. Speaking for myself, someone who goes to the doctor once in a while, please concentrate more on medical school!
Old 02-08-02, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sounds more like you want us to convince you not to buy it. FFX is good eye candy, and the battle system is pretty good, but the dialogue is pretty generic and the story's kind of...eh. Certainly not worth $385 + tax.
Old 02-08-02, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by Aghama
It sounds more like you want us to convince you not to buy it. FFX is good eye candy, and the battle system is pretty good, but the dialogue is pretty generic and the story's kind of...eh. Certainly not worth $385 + tax.
Ummm...exactly how is the story "eh"? The story is a heck of a lot better than any of the PS FF games, IMO. Yes, including FFVII, which I liked, but most people seem to worship it as some sort of godly manisfestation (it's not *that* good). The only FF that comes close in the character development part is FFIV.
Old 02-08-02, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...820025,00.html

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...832771,00.html

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...824273,00.html

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...783813,00.html

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...776616,00.html

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...818325,00.html

Plus, there are plenty of other good games, like Jak and Daxter, and a better controlling SSX Tricky than Gamecube's.

I'm in the opposite boat, owning a PS2, and eyeing the GC. But if State of Emergency turns out to be great, I think I'm going to put off the GC until Mario or Zelda comes out. My bet is that, before next Christmas, there will be a price cut, or a pack in, or something to sweeten the deal.

Same with the PS2. A lot of people are speculating a price cut soon, though Sony keeps saying that the sales are strong enough at $299 that they don't need to. If another console starts to close the sales gap, though, Sony will drop the price.

As far as the rental option, I'd say that probably wouldn't work. You'd still need to buy a memory card, and console rentals are usually $20 for 5 days, plus you have to put down a $300 deposit. Plus, beating FFX in less than a week would require a lot of time commitment. It's a pretty long game, and it took me nearly a month.

Last edited by ScandalUMD; 02-08-02 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-09-02, 10:39 AM

You can't play Halo on your PS2, right? I don't see why you even need one now.
Old 02-09-02, 11:35 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Concentrate on medical school. How you do in medical school will determine where and in what you get your internship and residency and ultimately your career. Forget about video games for a couple of years, they will still be there later. FWIW.
Old 02-09-02, 12:02 PM

I would actually convince you not to buy one. I just put mine on Ebay. I'm really blown away by my XBOX. I was keeping my PS2 for GTA3 and MGS3 but I GTA3 is coming to XBOX in May. MGS is coming out with a game in the fall for the XBOX. All, I'm saying is, really do your homework before jumping into a PS2.
Old 02-09-02, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Definately pick one up.
1)Final Fantasy X(I've only played through FF 7 before I got this one and I am really loving it at about 32 hours in)
2)Gran Turismo 3(simply the best racing game ever made)
3)Metal Gear Solid 2(story is a bit out there but it's got great gameplay)
4)Grand Theft Auto 3
5)All the EA Sports Games
6)Ace Combat 4(an amazing game)
Old 02-10-02, 01:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
You can't play Halo on your PS2, right? I don't see why you even need one now.

You can't play Medal of Honor, a much better shooter, on your X-Box so why even bother with X-Box?

FFX is one of the BEST games ever made and NO you shouldn't buy a PS2 just to play FFX. There are many other great titles to play...State of Emergency. Grand Theft Auto 3, Gran Turismo 3, MGS2, Devil May Cry, Maximo, Baldur's Gate plus all the EA Sports titles as well as Sega Sports titles. So, you're definately getting alot of quality games for your $335 investment(incl. memory card). You spend $350 on a X-Box w/Halo and that's the only title worth playing for the system so it's pretty hard to justify that investment. Trust me, I rented one for a week and I got bored with Halo after playing it for 2 days...my buddies & I had much more fun with the Multi-player Bond PS2 game than with Halo. I'm not bashing the X-Box=, I'm just giving you my opinion on it just like these other guys opinion of the PS2.

I would actually convince you not to buy one. I just put mine on Ebay. I'm really blown away by my XBOX. I was keeping my PS2 for GTA3 and MGS3 but I GTA3 is coming to XBOX in May. MGS is coming out with a game in the fall for the XBOX. All, I'm saying is, really do your homework before jumping into a PS2.

I don't argue the power of the X-Box but why wait a year to play all those titles when you can play them now for the PS2??? Plus the graphic difference between the 2 consoles is minimal. Yeah, I would really do some homework before laying $300 down on a X-Box when Halo is the best and only good game for the system.
Old 02-10-02, 03:06 PM
Mod Emeritus

Medal of Honor is scheduled to be released in 2002 on the Xbox. When people say the graphics are better on the Xbox, check out this post by a guy who is a graphics programmer: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...436#post431436
Old 02-11-02, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

<url>http://www.rockstargames.com<url>

GTA3 and SOE will be reason enough. EA's Madden 2002 is another good reason.

Although there doesn't seem to be a price drop on the horizon, Best Buy often offers a freebie if you buy the console. I got the Fast & the Furious DVD as a bonus.

The other reason is that it is PS One compatible. Even if you don't have any PS One games right now, most have dropped below the $20 mark.

The third reason is that PS2 is DVD compatible. You can use it as a backup player.

Don't wait, get it!