Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Circuit City woes

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Circuit City woes

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-02, 06:25 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Circuit City woes

Ok....I go to my local Circuit City today to see what all great deals they are currently running. I get to looking.....and everything has gone up in price!! Most of the dvd's that were previously 9.99 are now 10.99, 14.99's now 15.99, etc. Nothing is on sale except for the old Soul Cinema dvd's they are trying to get rid of. Tigerland is back up to 24.99!! What gives?!? Is it just the local CC store trying to make up some dough, or is this a store-wide deal? Anybody else had any of the same experience?
Old 02-05-02, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

store forum
Old 02-05-02, 07:05 PM
Cool New Member

You know, you're right. In my mind, I was thinking bargain forum, since I was lamenting the recent change in bargains at the store. My bad.
Old 02-05-02, 11:53 PM

Sounds like they're experimenting to see 'what the market will bear'.

You must resist temptation!
Old 02-06-02, 07:34 AM

Another thing I noticed at my local CircuitCity (Salem, N.H.) besides rising DVD prices is the low level of inventory. We were looking at buying some electronic's hardware and they had very low levels of inventory on display. Is this another case of a retailer having cashflow problems?
Old 02-06-02, 09:50 AM
Suspended

I've always thought of CC as having extraordinarily high prices. The only DVDs I've ever purchased from them were those advertised specials intended to get customers in the door for the "up-sell."
Old 02-06-02, 06:20 PM

I work in the music/movie department at a CC and I have an explanation for the price difference....

Over the past several months, there has been a list (usually 20-30 dvds) to mark down. Which used to mean that we would manually tag the dvds that are currently in the store and the new copies would come in with the new price. Unfortunally, the latter had not been happening. All of the dvds that we were instructed to mark down kept coming in with the old price!

The good news is that last week, the dvds FINALLY started coming in with the correct new low price. However, the problem created such a mess that it will take awhile to have it straightened out.

I'm pretty sure that Tigerland is still $14.99, btw. Also, a lot of the ones that used to be $10.99 are now $9.99 and even the recent markdowns from $19.99 to $15.99 are now $14.99. The only one at fault for this computer that prints the price tags that are sent with the DVDs. I'm just happy it's fixed now. :-)
Old 02-06-02, 07:18 PM
Cool New Member

I guess what threw me for a loop was the fact that most of the existing inventory had new price stickers on them. Actually, just a little strip of the numbers only (10.99,15.99,etc) placed on top of the existing price sticker. And, the complete lack of any decent weekly bargains posted....
Old 02-12-02, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

can someone tell me how CC can display the dvd's the way they do??? the one in Bloomingdale IL has them in no aphebetical order whatsosever they are just toss in wherever..they are in some sort of categories i guess but I couldn figure it out....the guy at the stor said they are alphbetical from top to bottom so i guess A-K-T-H-O-W_R..etc is a new alphanbet that I havent learned yet
Old 02-12-02, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Deke Rivers
can someone tell me how CC can display the dvd's the way they do??? the one in Bloomingdale IL has them in no aphebetical order whatsosever they are just toss in wherever..they are in some sort of categories i guess but I couldn figure it out....the guy at the stor said they are alphbetical from top to bottom so i guess A-K-T-H-O-W_R..etc is a new alphanbet that I havent learned yet
Their displays are a mess (at least at the store I was at) and it is nearly impossible to find anything.
Old 02-12-02, 01:42 PM

I dont know if they are planning on marking it down this weekend, but the Peter Pan SE was $22.99 at my local Circuit Shitty. :O No sale!
Old 02-12-02, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Brian Shannon

Their displays are a mess (at least at the store I was at) and it is nearly impossible to find anything.
I hate CC's display. Sure it's in alphabetical order, but the top labels on the disc can't be seen. The shelf tops and bottoms are too close to each other. People have to flip through the discs to see what's behind them.