Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

How to prevent the "blink" on the old NES?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-02, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, I have a hardware question about the old 8-bit Nintendo Entertainment System. (Yes, I am dusting it off after all these years!) I have the front loading system, which many of you probably know has that annoying blink. If you don't insert the game just right it doesn't work, and sometimes they don't work at all.

I have seen replacement 72 pin connectors for sale on eBay. I was wondering, how easy is it to install one of these? Does it work as it says it will? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-03-02, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Its quite easy to replace them. You just need to unscrew a bunch of screws. You can also just try bending the pins on your courrent connector upwards.

I'd also recommend getting a 3.8MM security screw bit so that you can open up your carts. Clean off the contacts with an eraser (much butter and safer than alcohol).
Old 02-03-02, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kind of off topic, but does anyone know how long they produced the top loading NES? My older brother bought one when he went to college but he sold it while he was there. Just wondering how rare those top loading units were.
Old 02-03-02, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought the blink was part of the charm of the old NES. It was like a game before you played the game! You got to try all those "voodoo black magic moves" on your carts like blowing into the cart or blowing into the system, or rocking it back and forth, or .... well, you know.
Old 02-03-02, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by einTier
I thought the blink was part of the charm of the old NES. It was like a game before you played the game! You got to try all those "voodoo black magic moves" on your carts like blowing into the cart or blowing into the system, or rocking it back and forth, or .... well, you know.

Old 02-04-02, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by einTier
Nostalgia....

Old 02-04-02, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I never had a NES, but my friend did - His carts went in at an angle in the front and then they clicked into horizontal position and then you could close the cover. However, the carts rarely worked like you're describing so he would try blowing on the carts and in the system and try to be all delicate when snapping the cart into position... I would just reach over and put my fingers on the cart and quickly snap it down into place with quite a bit of force. My method usually worked best. I wanted to kick that thing through the window though sometimes.
Old 02-04-02, 09:15 AM

Top loaders were made in 1993-1994 after the Super Nintendo was out. They stayed in stores after that for a good while as they really didn't sell very well. It was kinda like the PSONE that Sony is doing now, only they are selling a TON of them. They are pretty rare compared to the old Nintendo, but there are plenty out there. The problem is that demand among "old school" gamers is huge as it is more compact, eliminates the blink, and should hold up for another 25 years or so (made with better parts). They do sell for about $100 on Ebay if anyone ever wants to hop over there and find one pretty easily. There is usually 15-20 up for auction at any given time.
Old 02-04-02, 01:57 PM

My best friend and I still both have our original Nintendo(s), and I have developed a system which makes almost any video game, no matter how finicky, play in minutes. When you blow in the game cartridge, don't use cold air, like you were whistling. Instead, blow with moist, warm air from the back of your throat. If you do this properly, you will make a sort of hacking noise, like you were sucking up phlegm (ewww...) for a big loogie. Go back and forth, blowing on the pins like this. Plug it into the system, making sure it goes down firm. After that, it normally only takes a couple of jiggles on the power button to eliminate the blink and have a perfectly running game! If any of you tries this out, please post and tell me if you have any success.
Old 02-04-02, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by Xanthguy
My best friend and I still both have our original Nintendo(s), and I have developed a system which makes almost any video game, no matter how finicky, play in minutes. When you blow in the game cartridge, don't use cold air, like you were whistling. Instead, blow with moist, warm air from the back of your throat. If you do this properly, you will make a sort of hacking noise, like you were sucking up phlegm (ewww...) for a big loogie. Go back and forth, blowing on the pins like this. Plug it into the system, making sure it goes down firm. After that, it normally only takes a couple of jiggles on the power button to eliminate the blink and have a perfectly running game! If any of you tries this out, please post and tell me if you have any success.
moist, warm air + metal contacts = rust
While blowing into the cartrdge may work, eventually it will destroy the cartridge. Just use regular rubbing alcohol on a q-tip, or an eraser to clean the carts. Having 634 NES carts, I know this works best.

Matt
Old 02-06-02, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Xanthguy
Old 03-05-02, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, I got the new 72 pin connector on eBay. Unscrewed no less than 19 screws to undo the mainboard. Slapped the new connector on there, re-assembled the old thing. I'm still getting the blink! Any ideas, I'm going crazy!

Old 03-05-02, 09:00 PM

You can try buying a cleaning kit... you might be able to find one at a Funcoland. Cleaning the inside of the carts and systems can reduce a bit of the rust, which can cause the "blink" that you are describing. The more rust in the carts and system, the less contact that's made, and the harder it is to get the things to work.
Old 03-05-02, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the original cleaning kit. Just tried cleaning a few of the games, but still the blink. Oh, sometimes I just get a solid yellow screen instead of the blinking yellow screen. Someone suggested opening the carts and using a pencil eraser. Would this be worth trying if I already used the cleaning kit? Perhaps there is still crud on the contacts that the cleaning kit can't handle. Help, I want my Kid Icarus!
Old 03-05-02, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by cliffzig
I have the original cleaning kit. Just tried cleaning a few of the games, but still the blink. Oh, sometimes I just get a solid yellow screen instead of the blinking yellow screen. Someone suggested opening the carts and using a pencil eraser. Would this be worth trying if I already used the cleaning kit? Perhaps there is still crud on the contacts that the cleaning kit can't handle. Help, I want my Kid Icarus!
Yes, go out, get the screwdriver reccommended above, and grab one of the gum erasers and do that. It's really the best way to do it.
Old 03-06-02, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, here's an update:
I opened the NES again and took the whole thing apart. I noticed some crud and rust on some of the mainboard contacts. I took a sharp knife and cut all that stuff out of there. I don't know if this is what fixed it, but the NES seems to be working now.
I STILL have to have the magic touch to make the games work, but it don't take a whole lot of effort now.
Old 03-06-02, 05:53 PM

Remember easing the cartridge in so that it just barely cleared when 'clicked' down? That used to be one of my many, many tricks.
Old 03-06-02, 06:13 PM

Man, my games would not even click down. I had to wedge down the game I was playing with another one. Half the time it still would not work.
Old 03-06-02, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Lewsiv
Man, my games would not even click down. I had to wedge down the game I was playing with another one. Half the time it still would not work.

Yep that's my method too!
Old 03-06-02, 10:40 PM
Cool New Member

If all else fails, use an emulator
Old 03-07-02, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Lewsiv
Another vote for this trick!
Old 03-07-02, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll throw in my vote for both the technique of wedging the game your playing down with another game, as well as putting the game in and just push it in enough so its NOT going to clear the plastic of the machine, so when you push it down to set it in, it kinda "crunches" on the system itself. That always worked for me.
Old 03-07-02, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
I never had this problem with my NES, but my cousins did... The easiest way to get around it was to just always leave a Game Genie plugged in.
Old 03-08-02, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jandaman
If all else fails, use an emulator
yeah... get a dreamcast. since you own all those cartridges, it shouldn't hurt your conscience to put them all on a cd and play all you want... no more blink :>