Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

sega game gear/nomad question

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-02, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sega game gear/nomad question

Does anyone have a game gear or nomad? I am thinking about picking one up and would like some opinions. Also, how hard is it to get game gear games and what is a fair price for each handheld? Thanks.
Old 01-31-02, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The nomad is far superior to the Game Gear. It is (as I'm sure you know) a handheld Genesis. It typically sells for $100+ on ebay. These units are almost impossible to find at any store....even used game stores.

The Game Gear system can be had for about $20 at Toys R Us. It comes with just the unit and thats it. Game Gear games can be found new at most Toys R Us locations as well as at Amazon.com. Game Gear games are also easily found at used game stores.

On a side note, I have a Game Gear with the Master system adapter (so you can play Master system games), an AC adapter, 5 Game Gear Games, and 7 Master system games. I also have the Game Gear box. I was going to e-bay it all, but if you are interested I could sell or trade them to you. Email me or post if you are interested.
Old 01-31-02, 07:30 PM

Hey Absolute Zero, isn't that the Game Gear I traded to you in exchange for some other stuff a few months back!? I guess you got bored with it like I did! Ha ha! Don't worry descartes, I can vouch for the quality of Absolute Zero's Game Gear package... everything's in great shape (well, at least it was when I gave it to him!)

Seriously, though, I really enjoyed my Game Gear. My only problem is that I never bothered to get a lot of games that really interested me, so most of the time my system just went unused.

And yes, games are easily available. I was actually surprised last time I was in Toys R Us to see that they still have a Game Gear section!

I never got the chance to try out the Nomad, so I don't know how it compares. Just based on what I know about it though, if I were in the market for one of the two, I would probably go with a Nomad (and of course pay more for it). The fact that it's technically superior, combined with the fact that Genesis games are also really easy to get a hold of, it would be worth the extra money to me.
Old 01-31-02, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bobubott

I got a GBA for Christmas and the Game Gear hasn't been touched since. It's still in the same shape as you gave it to me by the way. I finished all the games that came with it and I never really got anything new. Thanks again for the trade, it did keep me entertained for quite a while....I hope someone else can get some enjoyment out of it.
Old 02-01-02, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
My girlfriend at the time bought me one when it came out... I have like 7 or 8 games for it and I remember thinking it was pretty fun. These days though I don't know how the graphics would hold up against a GBA - but I can tell you that I remember them being way better than what I've seen of GBA screen shots and in-store demos. Also - the fact that the screen is backlit makes it better in my opinion. I'm sure the GBA is more powerful and the Game Gear's batteries last you all of 10 minutes tops. I saw pictures of Mortal Kombat Advance and they look awful compared to MK2 for Game Gear. I'd say 20 bucks is a good price for one. I wonder how much the games are, maybe I'll dust mine off and start playing it again.
Old 02-01-02, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Man, I saved up and bought a game gear back in the day for $120 or whatever it was when it came out......then a week later my little sister WINS one at school. OHHHHH I was pissed off!

It's still somewhere in my closet. I think I have Sonic, Joe Montana FB, Columns, and Tazmanian Devil something.