Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Chemical Brothers "Come With Us"

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-02, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Chemical Brothers are probably the only dance artists whose albums I regularly purchase. I picked up their new disc yesterday, and I think it's a step backwards. It's good, but I like Surrender much more. I really liked that albums step into Beatlesque psychedelia and the creativity of its tunes. Come With Us sounds a lot more like Dig Your Own Hole to me, which isn't all bad. I love that disc and think I'll grow to really like the new one. I just wish they had kept experimenting and growing rather than going back to a proven formula. That being said, "Star Guitar" kicks major a$$.

What does everyone else think?
Old 01-30-02, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best album since dig your own hole IMHO. I'm glad they got rid of all the cheesy guest vocals. I give it (****o)
Old 01-30-02, 04:48 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts
I shall pick it up on my way home, Star Guitar is pretty awesome though...
Old 01-30-02, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by RoQuEr
best album since dig your own hole IMHO. I'm glad they got rid of all the cheesy guest vocals. I give it (****o)
You are right about the guest vocals. I like all of the Beth Orton tunes that they do, and "Out of Control" with Bernard Sumner on Surrender was pretty good. I am glad that we weren't subjected to another Liam Gallagher tune on this album though (am I the only person who greatly prefers the instrumental version of "Setting Sun" to the one on Dig Your Own Hole?).
Old 01-30-02, 05:59 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I heard a promo copy of the album last week, and although I really like the Chems, I was disappointed. It's too bangy and polished sounding IMO. "Surrender" is my favourite, followed by "Dig Your Own Hole". Nothing on the new album is short and as infectious as either "Hey Boy Hey Girl" or "Block Rockin' Beats". I actually heard that the vinyl edition of "Dig.." is remixed exclusively with more bass than the CD version, is this true?
Old 01-31-02, 03:45 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts
Virgin Megastore want 16.99 for this, and they have retail at 21.99 who are they kidding
Old 01-31-02, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
Virgin Megastore want 16.99 for this, and they have retail at 21.99 who are they kidding
Is it the limited edition (cardboard) collector's case. I picked mine up at Tower and the collector's case was about that price while the regular jewel case was only $13.99. Normally, for a band I like as much as the Chems, I'd pick up the collector's case, but this one just looked like a cheaper version of the regular case. So, I chose not to spend the extra dough...
Old 02-06-02, 09:08 PM

If you like techno-house check out a cd called "Closer to the Edit" by Richie Hawtin. He is the man. I have been mixing records for over 6 years and this guy amazes me. I have seen him live several times, guy rocks. Check em' out. Far more noteworthy them CB in my opinion.

modiman.com
Old 02-06-02, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Gdrlv

Is it the limited edition (cardboard) collector's case. I picked mine up at Tower and the collector's case was about that price while the regular jewel case was only $13.99. Normally, for a band I like as much as the Chems, I'd pick up the collector's case, but this one just looked like a cheaper version of the regular case. So, I chose not to spend the extra dough...
i got the limited edition from amazon and all it is is the jewel case version in a thin cardboard sleeve, no extra booklets, photos, stickers, tracks, nuthin'!

-Gunshy
Old 02-07-02, 09:43 AM

I'm gonna have to agree with you Midoman...Ritchie Hawtin is amazing...if you ever have a chance, go see him live, his CD's don't do him any justice...

Other than that, I haven't heard the new Chemical Brothers CD yet, but I would recommend anything from Carl Cox...