Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Sony announces PS2 Linux release 1.0

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-02, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sony announces PS2 Linux release 1.0

http://www.planetps2.com/news/#PQN348494

This does me zero good, seeing as how I've got the programming skillz of your average groundhog (actually, the groundhog would probably top me...). However, for those of you out there with a coding fetish, it may please you to find out that SCEI/SCEA has announced the official release of its PS2 Linux Developers Kit. The beta version of the Linux Kit has been available in Japan since May 2001, and initial orders grew to 7,900 units from the original 2,000 due to the number of requests Sony received. The package consists of two discs (one containing the PS2 Linux Runtime Environment and the System Manual, and a second disc with open source Linux software), the 40GB hard drive, a PS2 ethernet adapter, a monitor cable adapter, and a USB keyboard and mouse. The kit functions on PS2 models SCPH-10000, SCPH-15000, SCPH-18000 and SCPH-30000.

The Linux Developers Kit 1.0 can be purchased from the Japanese PS2 site, and retails for 25,000 yen ($188 USD). US PS2 owners can buy the Linux kit for $199 from SCEA's website, though it won't be available until May 2002. Which brings up another point, actually...since the Hard Drive hasn't been announced yet for North America, does this mean the Hard Drive will be shipping this May?
the links given in the article are
http://www.jp.playstation.com/
http://www.us.playstation.com/

I couldnt find any info about the kit on the US PS site, but I did manage to locate something about the HD on the JP site... but since it's in Japanese, it's kind of hard to read, y'know?

This sounds pretty interesting. Not so much because I want to code (I havent a clue about that) but the idea that you could run linux on your PS2 is. Plus, it looks like you'll get a HD an ethernet adapter in the deal.

I'm wondering if this gives you a full X-windows type environment or if it's not that complicated. But I do get the impression that this would basically turn your PS2 into a Linux PC? Like I said I coudlnt find any info about it on the US site.

Brian
Old 01-30-02, 02:16 PM

Ok, more info from Gamespot
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...843954,00.html

The Linux development software for the PS2 will be coming to domestic shores.

At the Linuxworld conference, Sony announced plans to bring its PlayStation 2 Linux kit to North America. The kit allows development enthusiasts to run a number of programs created specifically for the Linux platform, but Sony hopes that the Linux development community will create original content as well. For $199, the kit includes:

Internal hard disk drive with 40GB capacity
Ethernet network adaptor with 100 base T interface
Linux kernel version 2.2.1 (with USB device support)
Linux (for the PlayStation 2) version 1.0 software distribution on two DVDs
Gcc 2.95.2 and glibc 2.2.2 with VU assemblers
XFree86 3.3.6 with PlayStation 2 GS support
Computer monitor adaptor (with audio connectors)
USB keyboard and mouse

Those interested in purchasing and running the kit will have to supply their own PlayStation 2, memory card, and VESA monitor. Sony claims that more than 28,000 people have expressed interest in the kit, which will be released in May. More information on the Linux kit for the PlayStation 2 can be found here http://playstation2-linux.com/
Old 01-30-02, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The only thing I don't like about this kit is the hard drive can't be used for hard drive compatible games according to the FAQ.
Old 01-31-02, 05:05 AM

Yes, that does seem rather stupid, doesn't it?

I was thinking it might be worth picking up sometime just to play with, but if the HD is really only for Linux stuff, I might not.
Old 01-31-02, 10:32 AM

You can use the HDD for games. However, the issue is, can you use a Linux partition with a PS2 partition? That is why they said you can't because they assume you will definitely be using it for Linux. If you wanted, you could use it for games. I've used FFX on my PS2 HDD. However, today I'm finally getting my hands on the HDD utility disc, which doesn't come with the US or JP kit but comes with the consumer version of the HDD. Hopefully it will see that I've only partitioned 20 gigs for Linux and that there is an open 20 gigs that can be partitioned. If so then with luck I will have both partitions. But I've got a feeling that the HDD utility disc will want to wipe and format it to a complete 40 gig partition rather than whatever is left.

So bottom line, there is no technical reason why the HDD itself won't work with games. It's the question of will you have access to the utility disc which lets you properly format a partition on the HDD and upgrades your bios on your system so it recognizes the HDD. With FFX, it didn't need to look for a PS2 partition, but with Ace Combat 4 and Capcom vs SNK 2, it wouldn't recognize the HDD properly even though it could detect it so I couldn't use those games on it.
Old 01-31-02, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I will probably get this I have Linux disc for my dreamcast and that can run x-windows without a hard drive so I wouldn't doubt if there was a way to run it on the PS2.
Old 01-31-02, 10:11 PM

spic: X-Windows comes with it, so you can easily run it on the PS2. In fact the initial screens shown for it show a pic from X-Windows.
Old 02-05-02, 12:24 AM

Just thought people would like to know that I successfully created two partitions on my HDD so that now I have 20 gigs devoted to Linux and the remaining to the PS2 game format. That means unless something drastically changes, having two partitions in the US version should be easy.
Old 02-05-02, 01:23 AM

I think if the partitioning works with the US release and the PS2 partition works with all the PS2 games that work with the "official" PS2 game HD, then I'll definitely be picking this kit up. Also, this is assuming that the ethernet adapter is also supported by the games designed for one (like FFXI)

Brian