DVD Talk
Scandalous buy.com action [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Scandalous buy.com action

Matt925
01-30-02, 01:43 AM
This isn't like the end of the world or anything. I actually think it's kind of funny; I just had to share it. Tell me this isn't shady.

On Saturday I placed an order for five DVDs. I got to thinking about it, and I decided that I don't really want one of them. I logged onto the site Sunday afternoon, and saw that they show your current order's status. They also have a button you can click on to cancel any items you want, which is pretty cool. Of course they mention that this doesn't *guarantee* cancellation; you have to let them know before the order is processed, which is completely understandable.

Of course they can't process my request on Sunday. I figure they don't process orders at all on the weekend, partly because common sense would say so, and partly because I hadn't received a confirmation email for the initial order. So they wouldn't even register the _initial order_ until Monday (and I cancelled one of the items Sunday afternoon).

Sure enough, Monday morning I received the email confirmation for the order, complete with the DVD I had cancelled. Later that afternoon I logged onto the site again, and much to my surprise, it showed that THE ONE DVD I HAD CANCELLED WAS ENROUTE TO ME, AND ALL OF THE OTHERS WERE STILL BEING PROCESSED. It had a tracking number for the package, and it said that the DVD I cancelled Sunday afternoon had been processed by the Post Office Monday at 4 pm.

Now, if they didn't process my initial order until Monday, as the email would indicate (in my experience, these usually come right away) and I cancelled the item Sunday afternoon, one would imagine that they knew about it. And none of the other DVDs had shipped (as I write this late Tuesday night, they still haven't been shipped). It seems like a longshot that _all_ four other DVDs that I ordered are on backorder (and there is no indication of this on their website or in the email they sent). I think it's pretty safe to say that they *rushed* the order out, to comply with their policy that you can't cancel an item once the wheels are in motion.

They let you return unopened items, but the customer is responsible for shipping. This is where I get pissed off. Yes, I am the one who placed the order, and if I didn't want it I shouldn't have done so. But I think it's pretty clear that they are screwing me.

gcribbs
01-30-02, 04:27 AM
buy.com has always had a horrible system for cancelling anything. in fact the best way to get something shipped seems to be to try and cancel it :( .

good luck :)

Easy
01-30-02, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by gcribbs
buy.com has always had a horrible system for cancelling anything. in fact the best way to get something shipped seems to be to try and cancel it :( .

Very true. It was easy to tolerate this problem when they always had the lowest prices and fistfuls of coupons always available but those days are long gone. I haven't ordered anything from them in a very long time.

duaneman
01-30-02, 10:26 AM
I gave up on them as well. They still status an Electronic Arcade controller I ordered back in October of 1999 as "In the Warehouse". Using coupons and discounts (at that time) it ended up costing $5 for a $50 controller. I haven't ordered anything since. Maybe I should cancel that order? rotfl

jimbo
01-30-02, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by duaneman
I gave up on them as well. They still status an Electronic Arcade controller I ordered back in October of 1999 as "In the Warehouse". Using coupons and discounts (at that time) it ended up costing $5 for a $50 controller. I haven't ordered anything since. Maybe I should cancel that order? rotfl

Sounds like it might be worth trying.

They'll probably send someone out to drive around thier warehouse area and find the item so they can resell it to you. ;)

CaptDS9E
01-30-02, 04:47 PM
Well i still have Lethal Weapon 3 Directors Cut on preorder from them :-) It still says preorder after all this time

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0