DVD Talk
800.com in deep trouble [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 800.com in deep trouble

chanster
01-29-02, 01:26 AM
Read this on F___Company. I wonder if there are any 800.com people still monitoring this board and would like to comment:

"Rumor has it 800.com laid off around 24 people -- 18%. Also... changed return policy to 7 days, stopped price-matching policy, and stopped selling gift certificates (prolly don't wanna deal with the payout hassles/bad karma after they go outta business...)."

I looked over the site and they definitely:

1.) Stopped selling Gift Certificates
2.) Return policy is now 7 days. Pretty POOR......

msharkm
01-29-02, 02:25 AM
I figured they were in bad shape. I bought my DVD player from them about 3 years ago. Now they send me 2 or 3 emails per week on average.

It's too bad. But they probably won't be the last to go either.

Funk
01-29-02, 07:12 AM
That stinks. They had terrific customer service. I actually bought my Toshiba 40H80 through them and it was delivered 4 days after I placed the order. Any time I contacted them over the phone, I was always treated well.
:(

bboisvert
01-29-02, 10:50 AM
Things started going downhill for them as soon as they stopped including free snacks with every order... ;)

dvd-4-life
01-29-02, 12:17 PM
The shipping prices used to be the best,but they switched and I haven't ordered that much from them since.Still I would rate them in the top #5,never have had a problem with an order.Just because someone laid people off,doesn't mean they are about too close.

Groucho
01-29-02, 12:20 PM
I used to order from them exclusively, but stopped when they no longer allowed you to easily cancel an order from the website (you now have to email or call it in).

ernestrp
01-29-02, 06:41 PM
Oh well, maybe they will extend their bargain bin sale and have some titles like Dvdexpress.

Actually, I used to buy from them quite often back when their shipping was 1.95 for Priority with tracking number. I had a few problems with them on getting pre-orders a month late but if it was in-stock they shipped usually on the day the order was made.

I still have alot of their popcorn. I wonder how long it is good for? As I recall it was alot better than the crap Buy.com used to send. I still have alot of that to.

Stats
01-30-02, 12:21 PM
They will always have a place in my heart b/c of the 3 for $1 sale they had years ago. I'll never forget that. Also loved the free shipping but when that went away, so did nearly all of my business.

msharkm
01-30-02, 03:30 PM
Bought my Toshiba DVD player for them about 3 years ago - great deal and free shipping. Very
professional. Sad.

Deke Rivers
01-30-02, 05:35 PM
I stopped using them when they dropped free shipping-even then they were bad but who could complain when it was free..good riddance

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0