Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

This week's open letter to a band: Pearl Jam

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-02, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Dear Pearl Jam,

Thanks for not making Ten over and over. That was a great record and all, but I, for one, would like to show my appreciation for evolving and not making every record after Ten sound like Ten. Yeah, No Code (and in some parts, Vitalogy) took a while to get used to but over time one begins to realize that those albums are pretty damn decent.

Love,
DTSC

(what, you were expecting a condescending letter? )
Old 01-28-02, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: This week's open letter to a band: Pearl Jam

Originally posted by DTSC
Dear Pearl Jam,

Thanks for not making Ten over and over. That was a great record and all, but I, for one, would like to show my appreciation for evolving and not making every record after Ten sound like Ten. Yeah, No Code (and in some parts, Vitalogy) took a while to get used to but over time one begins to realize that those albums are pretty damn decent.

Love,
DTSC

(what, you were expecting a condescending letter? )
Word.

Here's mine.

Dear Pearl Jam,

Thank you for being one of the bands out there that truly recognizes it's fans and rewards them for being so. I have been a fan since 91' and have loved everything you have done (exception: Mankind). With the live albums released last year and your dedication to keeping ticket prices low as well as your dedicated musicianship it's a wonder more of the "Ten" fan crowd hasn't stayed around.You put on tremendous live shows and are friendly to traders who tape your concerts. Keep putting out the great music and doing the great tours. As long as you stay true to yourselves and put out quality music I'll always be a fan and I'll tell others about your great music.

Sincerely,

reptile590
Old 01-28-02, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My only gripe with Pearl Jam's releasing of the live shows they put out last year was the price of the CDs. They put out the CDs to cut back on the people that were selling bootlegs of the shows but in turn, they made too much of a profit on them themselves. It would have been nice to have the CDs be sold for $5-6.
Old 01-28-02, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Rock on! I totally agree.
Old 01-28-02, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I like Pearl Jam. I don't love everything they do, and they aren't one of my favorite bands. No matter...it's really refreshing to see a band that does what they want to do with little regard for the corporate music business. Because of that, I'll always be interested in what they're doing.
Old 01-28-02, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOL - Pearl Jam hasn't put anything good out in at least 8
years IMHO. They are the 90's Motley Crue.
Old 01-28-02, 09:33 PM

They are the 90's Motley Crue.>>>

Im curious as to your reasoning behind this comment?

During the 80's the Crue released hit after hit getting bigger as they went along..Where as PJ hit big with their first few and then ...well, where are they now?
Old 01-28-02, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess I gave too much credit to Pearl Jam - my bad.
Old 01-28-02, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pearl Jam's Ten sucks IMO
Old 01-28-02, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DTSC
My only gripe with Pearl Jam's releasing of the live shows they put out last year was the price of the CDs. They put out the CDs to cut back on the people that were selling bootlegs of the shows but in turn, they made too much of a profit on them themselves. It would have been nice to have the CDs be sold for $5-6.
word

-Gunshy
Old 01-28-02, 10:21 PM

I agree DTSC. Pearl Jam gets better almost every time out.

There is no really crappy PJ album. It's just too bad that the Arena Rock crowd ditched them after 10. Actually, maybe it isn't too bad

Even if you hate them, you have to admire thm putting out all of the live CDs so they would be available to fans, as well as taking a stand against MTV and high ticket prices.
Old 01-28-02, 10:34 PM
drc
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: This week's open letter to a band: Pearl Jam

I actually think they're albums and songwriting have improved over the years. In fact, I think Yield and Binaural are my two favorite albums from them.

Motley Crue?
Comparing Pearl Jam to Motley Crue is like comparing apples to a big steaming pile of horse crap.
Old 01-28-02, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My biggest gripe with Pearl Jam is that both times I've seen them in concert, Eddie spent more time whining about ticket prices and the government then singing.

Hey Eddie, shutup and sing. I don't want to hear you tell me I spent too much on my concert ticket. I already know that. Now shutup and perform.

-Steve
Old 01-29-02, 01:24 AM

actually think they're albums and songwriting have improved over the years. In fact, I think Yield and Binaural are my two favorite albums from them.

Motley Crue?
Comparing Pearl Jam to Motley Crue is like comparing apples to a big steaming pile of horse crap.
>>

To each their own...
Pesonally the Crue is one of my fav. bands...while PJ is just bland and unexciting.
But lets face it..they are 2 of the most influential rock bands of all time..
Its just that Pearl Jams time can and went within 4 years while the Crue's high was for a whole decade...
Old 01-29-02, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
I don't listen PJ, but the live bootleg CD series is one of the coolest things I've ever seen a band do.

to PJ
Old 01-29-02, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Excellent DTSC....Now, when will the disillusioned and bitter fans who feel swindled and left in the dust by PJ's constant experimentation and 'f-you' attitude to big bombastic rock write their own letter...?
Old 01-29-02, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Its just that Pearl Jams time can and went within 4 years while the Crue's high was for a whole decade...

Well, in that light,I guess Pearl Jam failed worse than I thought.
And no, I am not a Motley Crue fan. The only problem I have
is with Vedders constant complaining that life isn't fair. Zzzzzzz.
In my opinion, they are a large contribution to why rock is so
boring.
Old 01-29-02, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts
Pesonally the Crue is one of my fav. bands...while PJ is just bland and unexciting.
I'm sorry, but that's very funny.

PJ is definetely influential in the "grunge" genre and helped define the early 90's sound - and it can still be seen today in many new rock bands.
Although I'm definetely not a fan of PJ, I will give them their due.

Motley Crue? Just another dime-a-dozen hair-band with little song writing talent and musicianship.
Like most hair-bands of the 80's, the Crue must be embarrassed by looking back on their "career".
Old 01-29-02, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

@ comparing 'Crue' to PJ.

@ apples to big steaming pile of horse crap
Old 01-29-02, 11:27 AM

Originally posted by KevinSmithIsGod

To each their own...
Just because the peak of PJ's popularity only lasted about 4 years, doesn't mean that they were only good for 4 years.

Hell, Creed has been popular for 4 years, but I wouldn't say that they were ever good.

PJ's best work has came since they dropped the Arena Rock of ten, and went to their "unpopular" rock.
Old 01-29-02, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hell, Creed has been popular for 4 years, but I wouldn't say that they were ever good
Of course you do know who Creed is said to be a copycat of?

I may not like PJ anymore, but comparing someones taste to
horseshit is dumb. He gets something out of the Crue and you
get something out of PJ.

Like most hair-bands of the 80's, the Crue must be embarrassed by looking back on their "career".
I doubt that very much. They did what they set out to do.
Now, their career today they might be a bit embarressed with.
Old 01-29-02, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Applejack
There is no really crappy PJ album.
Actually the really crappy Pearl Jam album would be "Binaural." It was hard to get through it the first time. It's virtually impossible to listen to it now.

Personally I think "Vs." was their best effort.
Old 01-29-02, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never liked PJ and still don't. I always thought their music was rather boring. I thought Ten sounded like one big long boring song.

I don't hate them. They're just not my cup o' tea. On a side note, my friend's cousin is dating Eddie Vedder.

Old 01-29-02, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like Pearl Jam, and I respect them for doing something different than 99% of all the other bands out there.

However, I really think their music fell off a cliff after "Vitology". I applaud them for making the music they want to make, and damn the profits, but at the same time, I'd love to hear another album like Ten, Vs., or Vitology. That's what Pearl Jam should sound like to me.

it's a wonder more of the "Ten" fan crowd hasn't stayed around.
I think the reason the "Ten" fan crowd didn't stick around is because they didn't make Ten eight times over. They were sold on the sound on Ten, and Pearl Jam got consistently further and further away from it.

You can look at Metallica for another example of this. They started changing their sound around the time of the Black Album, and some fans felt betrayed and went elsewhere. The only difference is that Metallica went more mainstream and Pearl Jam went more underground.
Old 01-29-02, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

DTSC, when are you gonna rag on a band I like? I hated "Ten". I absolutely despised that CD.... not just mildly putting up with it, but hated it. Having said that, I really thought "Vitalogy" was a good CD and it sits in my collection. My biggest gripe about Pearl Jam is what "Ten" did. It created all these awful followers we are stuck with today, a good 10 years down the road. It's like a nightmare coming to life.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.