Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Stupid Staples Shipping Policy

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-02, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How can they make money when they do things like this:

I ordered some software and added a 95 cent pen to use a higher value coupon. (I already qualified for free shipping).

They are delivering the software today AND making a separate trip next week to deliver the 95 cent pen!

Oh well... saved me an extra 10 bucks and they are gonna pay more to deliver the pen than it is worth.
Old 01-25-02, 11:47 AM
Suspended

Office Depot has an even more odd shipping policy - free shipping on all orders over $50. I purchased 17 cases of Diet Pepsi for $50 and change, used a $15 off coupon, and still got free shipping via UPS. Each of the 17 cases of Diet Pepsi were individually boxed and shipped.

I'd love to have a photo of my UPS delivery woman's face when I told her that the 17 boxes she lugged up to my door were Diet Pepsi.
Old 01-25-02, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same experience. I ordered a printer and needed to get an eraser for .15 or so to get the amount high enough to use a coupon and get free shipping. The printer was delivered next day by a private delivery service, a few days later the eraser showed up UPS 2nd day.

Kinda funny.
Old 01-25-02, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by renaldow
I had the same experience. I ordered a printer and needed to get an eraser for .15 or so to get the amount high enough to use a coupon and get free shipping. The printer was delivered next day by a private delivery service, a few days later the eraser showed up UPS 2nd day.

Kinda funny.
Did you have to sign for it?
Old 01-25-02, 03:12 PM

I added a .05 screw to use a coupon at Dell (after 20% coupon it was .04). Came by itself via UPS in a nicely padded box. We got a good chuckle out of it.
Old 01-25-02, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally posted by wizzy
I added a .05 screw to use a coupon at Dell (after 20% coupon it was .04). Came by itself via UPS in a nicely padded box. We got a good chuckle out of it.
same here. I still have mine sitting nicely in their UPS boxes
Old 01-27-02, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Trekaholic
Office Depot has an even more odd shipping policy - free shipping on all orders over $50. I purchased 17 cases of Diet Pepsi for $50 and change, used a $15 off coupon, and still got free shipping via UPS. Each of the 17 cases of Diet Pepsi were individually boxed and shipped.

I'd love to have a photo of my UPS delivery woman's face when I told her that the 17 boxes she lugged up to my door were Diet Pepsi.
Actually, Staples also does this. If you place an order for $50 or more before coup, you get free shipping... and it might be by courier..

My story got even more interesting... Staples delivered my order (even though they said courier, the pen came UPS and five minutes after my software) On top of it all, they sent the wrong version. I bought the full version and they sent the upgrade. They were actually pretty cool about it and arranged for me to take it to a local store and get the right one (so I could use it this weekend) and they are sending their courier to exchange it at the store monday so the store gets the proper item back.

Last edited by matchpenalty; 01-27-02 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-28-02, 08:42 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by matchpenalty

Actually, Staples also does this. If you place an order for $50 or more before coup, you get free shipping... and it might be by courier.
The free shipping is not what I thought was strange. What I thought odd was that they shipped 17 cases of Diet Pepsi, and did it in 17 individual boxes - all for free. Staples at least has the sense not to sell soft drinks for home delivery.