Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What are the benefits of modding my Gamecube?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 01-23-02, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sit only to play Japanese games? And what do they have that the US doesn't?? Besides animal forest +, but I couldn't read the in game text anyway if I imported it...
Old 01-23-02, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
right now, probably nothing. but maybe in the future when there are more games out in japan. alot games that come out never get the chance to make it stateside. some, not all games there is not that much text in gameplay and you can get around knowing how to read japenese
Old 01-23-02, 12:36 PM

I haven't tried this yet but I'm really tempted. Has anyone tried modding their gamecube. How easy is it to do? I have never soldered anything in my life...heck I don't even own the equipment but I can borrow my friends. How much experience do you need?

Oh and for Import games, if a new Sin and Punishment game for Gamecube comes out it will definitely be worth modding. From what I understand the Nintendo 64 version was awesome...unfortunately I'm still tracking down a copy of that. There's also the Goemon games, I always liked those.
Old 01-23-02, 10:04 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Playing Japanese games is likely the only benefit you'll ever get from modding it. I doubt dvd-burners will be affordable during the gc's life span, so you likely won't be able to play "backups." The small discs could be a problem with this too, as it might be tough to find blank DVD-Rs or whatever that size.

I'd dig around and see what games where Japan only for the N64, if you see a lot that interest you, then do the mod, as the GC will likely have a similar amount/type of Japan only releases.
Old 01-24-02, 06:54 AM

Originally posted by Outlaw
I haven't tried this yet but I'm really tempted. Has anyone tried modding their gamecube. How easy is it to do? I have never soldered anything in my life...heck I don't even own the equipment but I can borrow my friends. How much experience do you need?

Oh and for Import games, if a new Sin and Punishment game for Gamecube comes out it will definitely be worth modding. From what I understand the Nintendo 64 version was awesome...unfortunately I'm still tracking down a copy of that. There's also the Goemon games, I always liked those.
Apparently very easy. check here: http://www.ncsx.com/ncs110501/gc_mod.htm