Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

wtf?! - Ramones and the Pathfinder

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-02, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just saw a commercial for the Nissan Pathfinder featuring the Ramones song "Blitzkrieg Bop".. and it shows a whole bunch of horses racing mixed with the Pathfinder driving through the obstacles designed for the horse. i think the commercial is ridiculous..

has anybody else seen this commercial? does it annoy you too? it annoys me because it feels as if the Ramones had sold out, but not really.. it's hard to explain. it just didn't feel right. anybody else feel this way?

-di doctor-

this thread might end up being moved to TV Talk, if necessary.
Old 01-20-02, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I cringe when I see it, but mostly because it's a Muzak version of the Blitzkreig Bop.
Old 01-21-02, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, that commercial is just painful.
I also cringe when the Levis commercial with Reverend Horton Heat's "Big Sky" comes on.
Old 01-21-02, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think I've seen that one, but I've seen some commercials... and I hear the music accompanying them. And a little part of me dies. Actually, now this is such a common occurence I think very little about it. Until a favorite of mine comes on the TV. RL Burnside does a truck commercial where a dump truck gets knocked over or something. Then I heard Roy Budd's score for Get Carter in a FedEx commercial and I almost cried. hahaha
Old 01-21-02, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
This is almost as bad as Weezer's "Island in the Sun" in that Mary Kate and Ashley Olson movie. Joey is probably spinning in his grave.

I hate to see good songs from good bands in bad places.
Old 01-21-02, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Awful, awful, awful. It was like seeing "Revolution" in a Nike commercial.
Old 01-23-02, 03:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Man, please tell me you guys are kidding. I don't watch much TV (due to my DVD problem) and haven't seen the Ramones or RL Burnside commercials. Those are 2 great artists that I really hoped would never do sell out like that.
Old 01-23-02, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Gdrlv
Man, please tell me you guys are kidding. I don't watch much TV (due to my DVD problem) and haven't seen the Ramones or RL Burnside commercials. Those are 2 great artists that I really hoped would never do sell out like that.
Oh God....the thing plays all the time.

Not as bad as the Aerosmith "Just Push Play" sellout commercial. Every stinkin' commercial break!
Old 01-23-02, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

didn't levi's jeans use the Dead Kennedy's classic, "Holiday in Cambodia" in one of their commercials? it's always strange to hear songs from bands that used to fight against the "system". i think eventually they start to get some money and realize that maybe the "system" isn't so bad after all.

it's not "selling out", it's "buying in".
Old 04-04-02, 10:55 PM

RESURRECTION!

i'm just curious if anybody else has noticed the proliferation of Ramones songs in the past year... is it just me, or has Ramones' music been increasingly inundating itself upon the market? (Royal Tenenbaums' trailer/sndtrk, pathfinder ad, and - what inspired this resurrection - Leap of Faith..)

so, is it because of my recently acquired taste for the ramones (dating back to last august and prior to all of the things i mentioned) - and therefore my ability to recognize their songs, or are their songs really proliferating?!
-di doctor-