Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

One & Only Total Movie Customer Service Thread

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 01-17-02, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The purpose of this thread is to address updates, concerns and customer service information in regards to Total Movie magazine subscriptions and special offers.

The original thread, started in the DVD Talk forum, can be found here. Advance warning: this thread is eight pages in length.

As this thread has morphed into a more customer service discussion, it is now in the Store forum. Look for updates from their representative -- Total Movie -- in this thread.

There is also a smaller discussions on the merits of this offer here in the Feedback forum.

-----------

Links:

Total Movie's website:
http://www.total-movie.com/dvdtalk/

Total Movie Magazine subscription offer plus 40 free movies:
http://www.total-movie.com/dvdtalk/subscribe.html

Total Movie Magazine subscription offer plus 40 free movies and DVD Player:
http://www.total-movie.com/dvdtalk/subscribe02.html

Total Movie's 40 free movies update page:
http://www.insidedvd.com/dvdtalk/sub...ssagextra.html

-----------

Original DVD Talk forum discussion thread:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...0&pagenumber=1

Feedback forum discussion thread:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=165911

-----------

Phone Numbers:

1-866-896-6843 (Toll-Free)
626-296-6360

-----------

What are the 40 free movies? As posted by Total Movie on 1/16:

Classic Movie Masterpieces:
Battleship Potemkin/The General
Intolerance (DVD 9)

Classic Tales:
Dr. Jekyll/Hunchback of Notre Dame
Farewell To Arms/Cyrano

Comedy & Romance:
Road to Bali/Africa Screams
His Girl Friday/Pajama Game

Crime:
Dressed To Kill/Kennel Murder Case
Dick Tracy, Detective/Dick Tracy Meets Gruesome

Famous Directors, Cult Classics:
Meet John Doe/The Stranger
Beat The Devil/Dementia 13

Famous Stars, Cult Classics:
Suddenly/Angel and The Badman
One Eyed Jacks/Boy In The Plastic Bubble

Noir & Mystery:
Cause For Alarm/DOA
Sherlock Holmes & The Woman In Green/Sherlock Holmes & The Secret Weapon

Overlooked Horror:
White Zombie/Carnival of Souls
I Bury The Living/God Told Me To

Roger Corman 101:
Little Shop of Horrors/Bucket of Blood
The Terror/Wasp Woman

Schlock Hysteria:
Giant Gila Monster/Killer Shrews
Assasin of Youth & Reefer Madness on one side/Brain That Wouldn’t Die

-----------

Please see the DVD Talk forum for any new threads discussing the latest issue/DVD and the quality of the 40 movies offered. E-mail me directly with any corrections or additions that need to be made with this post.

Thanks,
- C

Last edited by Adboy151; 01-17-02 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-17-02, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Current highlights from the original thread

Current highlights from the original thread:

Posted by Total Movie on 12/17:

1) Subscribers should have their TM issue 6 copies by now or this week. If you subscribed in late November or in December, you probably missed the initial cutoff and will see your issue sent in the supplemental mailing toward the end of the month.

2) Only TM subscribers will be receiving the DVD going forward. Too much theft at the newsstands. Thus, the mag has a lower cover price than the first TM's $8.99.

3) Please send emails to the customer service email address on the total-movie.com site if you have a customer service call.

Posted by Total Movie on 1/11:

Hi all. The reason the 800 number changed for customer service is because of all your complaints. TM is slogging through a decent backlog of calls...all of them are important. They are working hard to put good solid systems in place to eliminate the customer service issues. Please be patient.

Call: 866 - 896 - 6843 or 626 - 296-6360

Don't email mcmillen any more. They no longer handle TM. Go to the site and email the contacts there.

If you subscribed in November or December, chances are excellent you have gotten nothing. TM, at this point, is bi-monthly and with the typical 6-8 weeks for delivery of a first issue of a magazine (that is generally every magazine), you might not get a first issue until the Feb. 26th issue is due.

As for the 40 Free films
They are still being worked on....but in the end, you will be proud to own the pack, particularly as a magazine extra.

As for the DVD players
First batch ships to subscribers on Monday.

Posted by Total Movie on 1/16:

1) Their was supposed to be a supplemental shipment in December. But, we dropped our customer service and fullfillment house in December because we had performance issues....and that made it difficult to access the data and get the supplemental shipment out. Customer service is now in house and if you call 866 896 6843 (toll free), you will get one of those customer service reps (or possibly an answering machine if they are on the line followed by a call back to you) and hopefully your issues will be resolved. FYI - 100 packages went out yesterday with back issues and back DVDs to people who have called us with their customer service problem

2) Starting later today, there will be regular updates on the total movie site www.Total-Movie.com letting you know the status of the 40 Free bonus discs.

Thanks for your continued patience and support.

Posted by Jury Duty on 1/16:

They just put up the link to the update here:
http://www.insidedvd.com/subscribe/messagextra.html

Posted by Gator Deb on 1/16:

I RECEIVED THE DVD PLAYER!!

I ordered on Jan 5th. 11 days later the DVD is here, and was shipped ground, which meant it was sent 5-6 days after I ordered it. That's great service. I'm looking forward to the magazine and the movies (I think they WILL come out in February).

Last edited by Adboy151; 01-17-02 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-17-02, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's another thread that was posted in the Feedback forum when the Total Movie rep stopped posting for a month:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=165911

It doesn't contain any earth-shattering information, but does have direct responses from Geoff and Total Movie.
Old 01-17-02, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by vaporware
I've been forunate enough to come across several geese that lay golden eggs. Far too many for me to keep for myself. So i've decided to bring this fabulous offer to all of you here at DVDTalk. That's right for a mere $69.99 i will send you one golden egg laying goose. Of course some of these geese may take a while to lay the golden eggs but in the meanwhile they will produce eggs of the regular variety. We can not be held responsible for the production delays of the geese and we are working diligently to rectify this problem.

Due to the lack of success with the geese promotion we are now offering a potion that turns lead into gold. We ran across this great deal during our travels in Haiti. So now if you are willing to pay $129.99 for a 2 year subscription we will send you the magic potion that will turn lead into gold. This is for a limited time only as supplies are limited. This is our best deal yet. Send money now!!!!!!!

Due to the high volume of complaints we had to change our customer service numbers and move our mailboxes etc address box. Plus those pesky Dateline reporters were bugging us.

But trust us all products promised will be delivered. And don't miss next months free top of the line HDTV television giveaway for a mere three year subscription. We ran across this great deal while traveling in Yugoslavia and can pass them along to you, our beloved customers for a mere $799.00.
I can't believe you left out my golden goose bargain.
Old 01-17-02, 01:39 PM

This may be old news but this is the reply I got yesterday:

Thank you for the note. We apologize for the delay on the 40 DVD premium. We have had some production delays but we are now being told the premium will begin to be shipped the week of Feb. 5th.

Steve

Total Movie & Entertainment
www.total-movie.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2002 2:32 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Acct # xxxxxxxx

Hello, I was one of your original subscribers back in the early days. Then the mag stopped publishing and recently you began publishing again and I started to receive new issues, with the promise of the 40 free DVD movies. Well that was about 4 months ago and I still have not received the 40 free DVD movies, as was promised when I signed up over a year ago
and then about 4 months ago. What is the status of these movies? Thanx Chris
Old 01-18-02, 05:23 PM

I received my DVD Player today. It looks like its All Region. There are no region markings on it. It does DVD,DVCD,SVCD,MP3,VCD,HDCD,CD and Karaoke. It is PAL/NTSC has component video and DD Decoder built in.
Old 01-29-02, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So they gonna update the web page, or what?
Old 01-30-02, 06:32 AM
Cool New Member

this company is just a classic rip off, i signed up over 2 months ago and got nothing . after i made about 15 - 20 emails and phone calls i finally got the shannon eliz. issue about 12 weeks late . it's really a sad way to run a company. when ever i am lucky to get a human being on the phone i try to find out the status and i get the same lame excuse i've been getting since late nov. , "im sorry sir but our systems updating and we cannot look up your info". now this is the same excuse i've been getting every time i call, but they have been able to charge my card ( in like less than 15 mins.), give me an account number mail me to my home requests to extend my subscription for $99.00 to get a free dvd player(the one they owe me now) & send me emails asking the same. what a rip job!! i would stay away at all costs until these guys get there act in gear. REPEAT O NOT SEND $$$$$$$ i'll post regular updates on my progress with them. yesterday i was to that i could not talk to a supervisor, manager, or the publisher. i was they told that they will " have there systems updated at the end of the week" & i can call in a week and a half and get acct info and the mailing date of my dvd player. this is personal now and i will really make a pain out of myself if i have to.

p.s. in there defense i was told that my player may be in the mail right now and if that is true i'll be here to say " soooooo sorry" and give a report on the player , but i thing that im kidding myself if i let myself believe it. yeah the checks in the mail !!!
Old 01-30-02, 10:17 AM

Just received an e-mail from them. Here are some excerpts:

40 FREE MOVIES UPDATE -They've been a long time in the coming, but Total Movie's 40 Free Movies on DVD are just about on their way to you (if you recently subscribed or re-subscribed). The list has changed a bit as we ran into some bad transfers and had to make some swaps, but we just wrapped up the authoring on the last of the flicks and now their off to replication. For regular updates, please log on to the Total Movie web site at www.total-movie.com and click on the 40 Movies Update button in the upper right hand corner.

TOTAL MOVIE DVD PLAYER UPDATE- Total Movie's DVD players have begun shipping. The first batch of players went out to subscribers who took advantage of our Total Movie DVD Experience on January 7th and additional shipments are due before the end of the month. We've had great feedback on these fully loaded Ding Tian DVD players and look forward to bringing you more great deals like this.
Old 01-30-02, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I feel alot better knowing that people are actually starting to receive stuff...but I guess the true test will be if I ever get anything =)

Now I am wishing that I had went for the DVD player offer instead of the 40 dvds...=(
Old 01-30-02, 06:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If this player actually turns out to be multi-region, then I wish I would have ordered one too!! I missed out on those cheap APEXs
Old 01-31-02, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey, long-time reader, first-time writer chiming in with my two cents worth. I subscribed to Total Movie in its first incarnation, and when it went down, I didn't request a refund, since I figured I'd gotten my money's worth. Then the newer issues started showing up, and while the magazine wasn't up to snuff, I found some of the dvd extras entertaining.

So, here's my question: They want me to renew my subscription, and I've been lurking here long enough to see all the problems that people have had. But, I also see that some people have received their dvd players. So, for those who have them, could you post a review? Specifically, sound and picture, but also if it coax or digital and if its region free? There's something interesing other region things out that I'm looking at, and would consider this a great deal if the player is halfway decent. Thanks for the advice, in advance. Also, if you'd like, my email is [email protected] Again, thanks, and I'm glad to be here at dvdtalk.com
Old 01-31-02, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

2nd week in March now for the dvd's. They replaced a few titles.

My only issue is that a few mags back, we got scrooge as the movie,(in addition to getting Little shop of horrors in the beginning), and now we're getting them again. Not a big deal. Maybe the transfer on scrooge will be better, as the other one was pretty awful.

robyn
Old 02-05-02, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Anyone have any reviews on the DVD player yet?

Not planning on resubscribing unless I hear something good about the player.

Andrew
Old 02-06-02, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've yet to receive a single magazine, nor the dvd's and i ordered in March. They charged my card the day i placed my order. I'm still bitter.
Old 02-06-02, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Their website shows that the 2nd week of March is now the target date for shipping the 40 free movies.
Old 02-06-02, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by renaldow
Their website shows that the 2nd week of March is now the target date for shipping the 40 free movies.
March of what year?
Old 02-06-02, 03:10 PM

Vaporware,

email your name and address and your need to get the magazine sent to you to the list of contacts on the www.total-movie.com site and I will see that your magazines and DVDs are sent out to you today. Let us know if you want the Dec/Jan and the Oct/Nov or just the Dec/Jan.
Old 02-06-02, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Here's the review of the DVD player I found on the alt.video.dvd Newsgroup

Subject: Total Movie DVD Player Info
Date: Thu, Jan 31, 2002 9:49 AM
Message-id: <4DE8E6BE61AC5712.99333CBCB7F09044.CEDF84562A29235E@lp.airnews.net>

Fellow DVD Lunatics,
I realized I hadn't seen anyone post about the Total Movie DVD
player deal and thought I throw in a few words about the player they
sent me. I had completely forgotten I even ordered the thing when it
showed up about a week before Christmas as part of the subscription deal
to Total Movie.

First the player; labeled a Dingtian DVD-2106, this thing is amazing
for the price ( a hundred bucks including the forty buck subscription
extension.) The back panel has component video out, as well as s-video
and the composite video jack. Both Toslink and co-axial are included for
digital audio output, plus the little beastie even has a six-channel
output jacks, indicating an internal DD processor. The front panel is a
quite good looking sort of charcoal gray, a nice change from the
ubiquitous basic black. The front left has two mic inputs for Karaoke, a
volume and echo knob are also on the left for the Karaoke function. On
the right are the usual transport controls and an interesting L/R button
in the center of the control ring. I assume this allows selection of
different audio tracks. I haven't tried it yet. The drawer for the disc
drops down in operation and a tray slides out over it, I figure it's
just a normal transport inside, but the door is a nice touch.

As for the playback ability of the machine, here's where I am just
blown away for the price. It supports, get this- DVD in DD and DTS,
SVCD, VCD, HDCD, regular CD's, MP3 discs you burn yourself, and plays
back both NTSC and PAL discs in every zone I could try (Region 1 & 4 so far)!
Macrovision seems to be also disabled, so you can record with a VCR if you wish.
The player is weird in one respect, while zone-free, it never indicates the
zone of the disc and has no zone selector in the menu. You just load it
up and it plays. You do have to tell the player the type of TV you are
outputting to (NTSC or PAL,) as well as the aspect ratio, and then it
just takes it from there <ggg.>

Also included are a rather normal remote, which has two levels of
zoom control for those into that type of thing, two RCA audio cables,
one composite video cable, and a rather hefty, nice fat s-video cable.

The only picture I could find of the thing is here at an Aussie site;
http://www.csvav.com.au/HITO_Large_View.htm

The machine in the image is badged a "Hito," but it is definitively
the same exact player as the Dingtian. The only difference being my
player also has the DTS logo on the left front panel, the one in the
image does not. Even the box the player came in is the same as in the
image, though mine doesn't say "Hito." In fact, it has no name brand
anywhere on the box! Heck, for sixty bucks, all these features, and
reasonable image quality, there is no way this baby is ever going back
<ggg.> It is pretty amazing what your sixty plus bucks can buy you these
days.

All the best, Mike

Andrew
Old 02-06-02, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by TotalMovie
Vaporware,

email your name and address and your need to get the magazine sent to you to the list of contacts on the www.total-movie.com site and I will see that your magazines and DVDs are sent out to you today. Let us know if you want the Dec/Jan and the Oct/Nov or just the Dec/Jan.
I sent an e-mail to your customer service department. I realize i seem a little bitter but after making the order in late November and still not receiving anything yet hearing that other people are just frustrated me even more.
Old 02-07-02, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Customer Service Runaround

I have been trying to cancel my subscription since Oct of last year. Total Movie seems to have had no problem charging me for the subscription, but takes it as an act of God to give me a refund.

In Oct. I was told it would take two months to be credited. Nothing.

Called January 15th, spoke to Aaron. He assured me I would be credited in two weeks. Again, nothing.

Called yet again on February 1st, spoke to Myra. She assured me that Steve is working on rushing my refund as soon as possible.

It is now a week later, and still nothing.

I have never received an issue. So, my subscription seems to have been cancelled, but a refund is improbable.

Can anyone suggest what to do now? The Better Business Bureau? Filing Mail Fraud charges with the USPS? Calling a
lawyer? Wishful thinking, I know.

It is ridiculous that I seem to have no recourse, that this company can just take my money and get away with it.

Last edited by cineman; 02-07-02 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-07-02, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Customer Service Runaround

Originally posted by cineman
Can anyone suggest what to do now? The Better Business Bureau? Filing Mail Fraud charges with the USPS? Calling a lawyer?
Those 3 options seem unlikely:

1. The BBB has very little real power. You can file a complaint, but that's just about it. They won't get you your money back.

2. Since they haven't mailed you anything, it isn't mail fraud. The USPS would be powerless.

3. Calling a lawyer may get this resolved, but would likely take more time and money than it is worth for a $40 charge. You don't really have any "damages" in this situation, other than the charge to your card.

I would call your credit card company to talk about getting the charges reversed. Make sure that you clearly explain the reasons why you are complaining about the charges so long after they were made (that it was a magazine subscription, you waited to receive it, but it never came, you have tried contacting them mulitiple times and they kept promising a refund, months later this is still not resolved...)

Most CC companies are going to understand this situation and credit your card immediately. Especially since you appear to have gone out of your way to resolve this yourself with Total Movie, with no luck.
Old 02-07-02, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know these three options are no good, when I posted, I left off a line immediately following those options, I have edited the post.

Thanks.
Old 02-13-02, 07:16 PM
sjs
Cool New Member

finally got a reply from Total Movie customer service

I followed a link shown here on DVD Talk, after entering the John Waters Collection giveaway, and signed up for a 1 year subscription to Total Movies/Inside DVD plus the now infamous 40 movies, online on November 14, 2001. (My credit card was promptly charged on November 19, 2001.) After hearing nothing from Total Movies and/or Inside DVD, as well as reading the posts in the DVD Talk Forum on the magazine's no show, I fired off a few emails to the magazine basically asking what was up. The first one went to [email protected], the address from my order confirmation, and was returned undeliverable for unknown user. I then sent emails to [email protected] and [email protected]. Neither was undeliverable, so I thought I had made some progress. But, alas, still no response.

Well, just minutes ago, I received an email from [email protected], which gives me hope that I will receive something for my bucks after all. Here's what they had to say:
"Please accept our apologies for the delay of the 40 movies. Visit our
website at www.total-movie.com for updates on the status of delivery. Since
our magazine is bi-monthly, there is a greater gap in between issues. Your
subscription will start with the March/April issue."

So, I'm still blissfully confident that we'll all receive what we've paid for sometime soon. ("Live in hope, die in despair.")

Just thought someone else might be uplifted by this, too.
Old 02-19-02, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone else thing the next issue is looking pretty darn good? DVD included?

There appears to be lots of stuff on the dvd, to include several videos with the likes of Madonna and Green day, a few short features, a number of fairly current trailers, a bunch of featurettes/interviews, and the film Omaha(don't know anything about that.)

Side story. A friend of mine is a physicist. We were chatting one day about this guy named Richard Feynman. Well, I'm not scientifically minded at all, and he says, "read his books." So for valentines day, he buys me this Feynman book.

I'm reading this thing, and all of a sudden, this story he's telling is seeming really familiar. All of a sudden, I figure it out, and jump up to get Inside DVD issue number 3(?), the one that has Infinity on it. Turns out that movie was about the physicist.

You probably had to be there, but I was really happy that I could converse on a fairly intuallectual level with a physicist based on watching a movie...

robyn

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.