Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Help (CC return related)

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Help (CC return related)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-02, 12:17 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help

Having just bought the American Pie 2 DVD I have been tricked by the Universal gyp machine because I did not realize that it was a full screen copy. Very few DVD's do not have a wide screen option and I guess this is one of them. What is worse is that I have a girl friend who is so stupid she does not even realize that there is a difference and is telling me here friends would not care. So what do I do? Drop the girl friend and complain to Circuit City. I guess I am just screwed on this deal.

Don
Old 01-16-02, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 372 Likes on 269 Posts
Re: Help

Originally posted by reserdc
So what do I do? Drop the girl friend and complain to Circuit City.
Sounds like you have a plan.
Old 01-16-02, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You just bought the DVD. You have a receipt. Exchange it. What's so hard about that?
Old 01-16-02, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Help

I have a girl friend who is so stupid she does not even realize that there is a difference.

It's nice to see someone who's not totally whipped by his girlfriend/wife.....(not too common on this forum)
Old 01-16-02, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Edited title for clarity and moving to the Store forum as it deals with a return.

- C
Old 01-16-02, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As I worked yesterday in music at CC, we only got 20 copies of AP2 in Widescreen and they sold pretty quickly with only about 4 left when I left for the day. Tons of full screen unfortunately and I'm sure a lot of customers were confused since the only difference is the gold or silver bands at the top and bottom of the packaging and tiny print that states the format. Universal really needs to start using better labels for their titles that are released in both formats.
Old 01-16-02, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Welcome to the forum.

Don't dump the girlfriend yet, first try to show her that widescreen is better. If she doesn't get it after several attempts and your showing her that she sees all of the movie that way, then dump her (but try to show her the way first).

As for the movie, if it is unopened return it to Circuit City and tell them how disapointed you are at them selling "pan and scam" (use those words) movies. If it is opened, still go to Circuit city and complain, but I doubt that they would take the movie back. In that case, sell it on ebay.
Old 01-16-02, 09:56 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks for all of the advice. I took the DVD back to Circuit City and they were really very nice. They said to go get the version that I wanted, but as noted in the forum all (both pan & scan, as well as, widescreen) had been sold. In this particular store I am sure they sold a least 100 if not 200 titles on Tuesday and Wednesday morning.

Anyway, the offer to let me exchange for any other title so I did.

I look forward to owning the widescreen version before too long, but I have to tell you this DVD has got to be big bucks for the studio. Since they are making so much money, why not go ahead and package both disks. I really think they are getting very very greedy.

I am grateful to Circuit City.

Thanks again for the advice. I cannot tell you how upset I was last night.

My girl friend is hopeless on aesthics. Oh well, she has other assets.

Don
Old 01-17-02, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

All you have to do is "read". If the label says "full screen" it is full..er...pan & scan. If the label says "widescreen" it is widescreen.

easy
Old 01-19-02, 02:08 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I look forward to owning the widescreen version before too long, but I have to tell you this DVD has got to be big bucks for the studio. Since they are making so much money, why not go ahead and package both disks. I really think they are getting very very greedy.
Because history tells us that Universal will screw us all over by re-releasing an Ultimate Edition of this title with both P&S and WS (plus some extras/DTS to make it more appealing) some time in the future.
Old 01-20-02, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally posted by eau

Because history tells us that Universal will screw us all over by re-releasing an Ultimate Edition of this title with both P&S and WS (plus some extras/DTS to make it more appealing) some time in the future.
*cough* AP *cough*
Old 01-20-02, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So you are trying to explain to your girlfriend that size does matter ... now that's different...